Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Current travel advisories

Travel to/from: SEA or PDX
Tickets purchased on/before: February 12, 2019
Original travel dates: February 8 - 12, 2019
New travel dates: February 11, 2019 - February 18, 2019

(Wiki last updated 2019-02-11 9:00pm PST)
Print Wikipost

SeaTac in the snow - 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ctporter
Sitting in the AL at LAX, my 6:40pm LAX SEA flight is delayed, now hoping to depart at 8:08pm (arriving 11:03pm) which will mean an icy trip home, at least I hope to get home. Pondering taking Uber/LYFT or Taxi home vs just staying at an airport hotel, not sure I trust Uber/LYFT in the snow in Seattle
Agree - need to get from my house (north of U village) to Light rail at Husky stadium for first train - I would rather walk the 1.5 miles that take a Lyft, but I'm getting a lift with my TH.

lala
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
How are the ROADS getting to/from the airport? I’m seeing reports of icy roads and temps across the metro region forecast to stay well below freezing for days. Im currently in Mexico and have an AS flight home scheduled for Tuesday night arrival. I’m guessing flights should be more or less on time by then, I’m more worried about the drive home at 10 pm Tuesday...hoping I can get my car out of the off-airport parking lot, assuming the highways and major arterial will be ok...
As someone else said before, the major roads and freeways are fine, although definitely drive slow.
If you have the option, try to avoid hilly or windy roads.
I live up a short hill that has an intersection at the bottom of it and drove down it extremely slowly, but I couldn't make the car stop. Luckily there were no cars coming down the cross-street. On the way back up the hill, I had to step on the gas quite hard to get the car up the hill, but that also made the car skid. Pretty scary. Luckily I have another way to get out of my block, so I'll be taking a roundabout way to avoid that hill.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Fascinating video from the Port of Seattle on operations today, the impact of the north landing pattern, de-icing, etc.

Neil

Edit: Apparently FB links get stripped out? Sigh. Go look at the SeaTac Airport FB page, the video is quite interesting.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by missamo80
Fascinating video from the Port of Seattle on operations today, the impact of the north landing pattern, de-icing, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/seatacairpo...3988415118572/

Neil

Edit: Apparently FB links get stripped out? Sigh. Go look at the SeaTac Airport FB page, the video is quite interesting.
Sea Tac Airport
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I like how the link shows up properly when my entire post gets quoted
owflyer and SpicyMorale like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Flight to PDX (2315) was showing as on time all day, up to 3 minutes before boarding time...then cancelled. Rebooked for 7:45AM tomorrow and was told by phone agent that I had to retrieve my checked bag and recheck in the AM. After waiting in line for 2 hours to talk to baggage personnel, I was told that my bag would be automatically rerouted to PDX with my flight tomorrow...if that flight happens. My other option was to request my bag and wait 3+ hours for someone to find it. I get Wx issues, but SEA was a cluster today and AS handled it poorly.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ctporter
Pondering taking Uber/LYFT or Taxi home vs just staying at an airport hotel, not sure I trust Uber/LYFT in the snow in Seattle
I requested both Uber and Lyft at 4:30AM this morning, and didn't get picked up until 5:45 with a 300% surge - very few cars available, and they were driving very slow. I ended up missing my flight and having to SDC to a later flight.

Conditions might have improved since then, but I learned a valuable lesson today about the reliability of rideshare during bad weather.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
looks like AS 19 is toast...
I think a fair number of pax made it to AS727 who checked in early MCO-PDX. 2 hours out the lavs had issues, but made it in early. On a delayed AS143 to ANC right now, about to close the door at D15. Late f/a's from SJC. Beats a cancelled flight however ^
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: AS
AS 4 to DCA yesterday took off 4 hours late. Boarded an hour late (because the heat on the plane wasn't working?!?) then sat on plane for 3 hours in the de-icing queue. Before plane even landed received email from Alaska about some future discount. I assume this is on PoS more than AS, but made for a long day.

"Hello XXX:

We’re sorry for the delay today. Snow and inclement weather this morning caused delays to flight operations out of Seattle. We understand the impact this had on our guests and appreciate your patience while we worked to get you safely on your way.

As a service gesture, we will be sending you a discount on a future Alaska flight. You don’t have to do anything; your discount is on its way. Keep an eye out for an email with all the details within the next few days.

Thanks for hanging in there with us.

Alaska Airlines

Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I requested both Uber and Lyft at 4:30AM this morning, and didn't get picked up until 5:45 with a 300% surge - very few cars available, and they were driving very slow. I ended up missing my flight and having to SDC to a later flight.

Conditions might have improved since then, but I learned a valuable lesson today about the reliability of rideshare during bad weather.
I rideshare for both Uber and Lyft on the side and followed a lot of the driver chatter yesterday. If your car is how you make your money, why go out on the roads for some little surge rate and risk getting hit by some other idiot driver and then being out of action for weeks while your car is repaired? Uber and Lyft don't pay enough (even with surge rates) to take on that level of risk, and generally treat drivers so poorly during good days that drivers aren't motivated to go above and beyond on bad days.

Also note that even though you paid a 300% surge doesn't mean that drivers were offered a 300% surge. Highest surge rate I saw yesterday, in DT seattle, was 3.2x and it didn't last very long.

Neil
pbelmore likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL

try getting a cab in this situation and see how well that works. I have lived long enough to know that ride sharing services to and from airport has been a huge improvement on quality of life.

Snow days in Seattle must be accepted as a cost of doing business and this travel headaches taken into account.
SpicyMorale likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Trying to get to the Bay Area out of SEA was a mess this morning, too.

2026 6:20am SEA-SFO Cancelled
2177 7:00am SEA-SFO Cancelled
2154 7:00am SEA-SJC Cancelled

Seems to be all Horizon flights. Wonder if this was an aircraft out-of-position or a crew issue?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wound up spending 9 hours at SEA on a connection yesterday. 1423 landed on time from PDX at 6:55 AM, then sat on the tarmac for an hour because the plane at our gate couldn’t get out of the alley due to the tug not having chains. By the time that was fixed I missed my connection to AUS. Rebooked on the evening flight to AUS that was almost on time. Things improved through the day but the morning was rough.

I do have to say though, SEA (and PDX) is a lot better with snow and ice than it used to be. 10 years ago I would have been stuck overnight. Airport ops did a pretty good job keeping things moving, albeit delayed.
Flying for Fun and williwaw like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Aeroplan
How was that trip through PDX? My return from PDX was set to be worse than getting there, primarily because of the SEA snowstorm and the effects of the storm on all the connections. After two flight cancellations on return, they booked me on AS 927 (a big person's 737 rather than Horizon), and I thought I might be in luck (until we boarded). One of my cancellations was estimating a five (5) hour departure delay prior to cancellation. After finally getting everyone loaded, the 6:50 pm Seattle scheduled arrival was adjusted by Seattle ATC to 9:45, and then slowly reeled back first a 7:00 departure and 7:55 arrival, which we actually beat. The Horizon gate area in PDX was wall to wall people (most unhappy). I think I set a record for 7 or 8 check-ins for my two flights by the time I was done yesterday.

Last edited by wonderlaw; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:31 pm Reason: Addition.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
My LAX SEA flight arrived at 10:40pm (earlier than predicted albeit still 1.5hr delayed. I never was able to get Uber and Lyft wanted over $100 for a fare that is normally in the $40's to Greenwood. I stood in the tremendously huge taxi line for 20 minutes but then saw the price drop $40 for Lyft so I took it home. WHAT an adventure that was! We went 99, thru the new tunnel (VERY nice btw) but the driver was all over the road, and not due to road conditions (very drifty). I kept thinking I should have stayed in the taxi line, but at least we did make it home and even home safely. Mostly due to lack of traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.