Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Stingy About Waiving Cancellation/Change Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Stingy About Waiving Cancellation/Change Fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
You've captured the spirit very well. This is Flyertalk's Travel Hacking, never pay full price for travel!

it's very unfortunate that the 60-day before departure cancellation policy is no longer in place 😢

I don't like to pay the cancellation fee out of pocket because I accumulate them MILES for free from churning amd manufactured spending. I think I'm gonna a few thousand miles or convert them somehow to cash (gift cards) to compensate for the cancellation fee.
I, for one, am shocked that such valuable customer behavior is not awarded the way you seem to feel is appropriate. Clearly the airline is criminally under appreciating you, and you would be better off manufacturing spend on Delta, Air Canada and United.
cpmed43, writerguyfl and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I, for one, am shocked that such valuable customer behavior is not awarded the way you seem to feel is appropriate. Clearly the airline is criminally under appreciating you, and you would be better off manufacturing spend on Delta, Air Canada and United.
With gaining popularity of L3 reporting, issuers can stop MS, or curtail it significantly, if they were truly motivated to so. While I'm not a big fan of MS, I place the blame on whose enabling this behavior, rather than the individual arbitrager profiting from the opportunity.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I don’t ever really expect a waiver, but I’ve been 75K for a few years now. last year my mom was dying and I called Alaska to change my revenue LAX BOS to LAX PHL to get home sooner, but they wanted to charge the fare difference which was like $1000 for my $149 LAX BOS flight. I was rather disappointed in them, I ended up booking an award ticket on another airline.

But they did help me after being robbed in Mexico City, I lost my phone and wallet and had only an hour before my flight. I used a phone to call Alaska to change my flight to a day later so I could find my belongings, but I made it clear to her that I had no access to my wallet and had no way to pay for the change- I was on hold for about 20 minutes and she came back on the line and told me she put me on the next days flight. This was a revenue F ticket, and I’m 75K, but it was nice of them.

Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

I bought some miles from Alaska, so I am clearly a profitable customer to them

Originally Posted by Visconti
With gaining popularity of L3 reporting, issuers can stop MS, or curtail it significantly, if they were truly motivated to so. While I'm not a big fan of MS, I place the blame on whose enabling this behavior, rather than the individual arbitrager profiting from the opportunity.
screw L3 reporting, it's an invasion of privacy. Luckily it's far from being implemented up here in Canada
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought some miles from Alaska, so I am clearly a profitable customer to them
Alaska adds annual maximum to mileage purchases for non elites
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:02 pm

Biz and F inventory on partner awards from the West Coast with AS are also super rare this year, compared to 2016.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I am MVP, gifted
status, so the limit doesn't apply to me.

I also have a Alaska credit card, Alaska Air makes money by selling the miles to the credit card institution.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am MVP, gifted

I also have a Alaska credit card, Alaska Air makes money by selling the miles to the credit card institution.
Of course you have a gifted MVP account. And of course you MS AS miles.

I’m sure your valued custom for flying other airlines in J/F at pennies on the dollar (and complaining nobody is bending rules for you for waiving change fees) is duly noted.

Meanwhile, us suckers who just buy plane tickets will just have to keep plodding along, unable to achieve your genius.
Snowdevil, PVDtoDEL, pcoll and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver

I am MVP, gifted

i hope the next enhancement on mileage purchase will apply to MVP
(i actually dont mind to have limit even as a 75k members as I earn my miles via flying)
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Of course you have a gifted MVP account. And of course you MS AS miles.

I’m sure your valued custom for flying other airlines in J/F at pennies on the dollar (and complaining nobody is bending rules for you for waiving change fees) is duly noted.

Meanwhile, us suckers who just buy plane tickets will just have to keep plodding along, unable to achieve your genius.

There could be some sort of customer value metric put on each customer based on their buying habits and allow waivers accordingly. If the poster never set foot on an AS plane, the rep might take that into consideration.
MagicCarpetRider likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by channa
There could be some sort of customer value metric put on each customer based on their buying habits and allow waivers accordingly. If the poster never set foot on an AS plane, the rep might take that into consideration.
I would not be surprised at all. It seems my experience of consistently having change fees waived even before I had status is atypical, though thinking back, at the time I was admin of an EasyBiz account putting a lot of spend through AS. Would not be dissimilar to AA's Eagle-rating system.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icelandman2
I would not be surprised at all. It seems my experience of consistently having change fees waived even before I had status is atypical, though thinking back, at the time I was admin of an EasyBiz account putting a lot of spend through AS. Would not be dissimilar to AA's Eagle-rating system.
Pretty much every company will do a little extra for you if you are a valued customer. This is not unique to airlines.

MSing and flying on the resulting miles is fine, but believing that that makes you a valued customer, and that the airline will give you any more than their stated policies is... strange, to say the least.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by channa
[/left]
There is a known metric that many frequently use - EQM, MVP, gold and 75K stautus. Million miler shows great consistency and thus lifetime Gold.

I only wish they had another level above 75k. Perhaps 100K????
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Xrayman
There is a known metric that many frequently use - EQM, MVP, gold and 75K stautus. Million miler shows great consistency and thus lifetime Gold.
Status doesn't come close to telling the whole story. The 75K who only buys coach tickets (or travels mainly on partner airlines) and sneaks through to requalification through transcon mileage runs on R fares is going to show up differently in internal metrics than the one who's booking F at the last minute.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Or, what about the 75k that only buys coach on AS flights (including many Q400s) No partner miles, and the coach fare are typically purchased 3-8 days out. I only have about 10 trips a year that are purchased more than 8 days out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.