Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I remember a thread on the united forum where someone got downgraded from J to Y and ended up in a middle seat on a flight from somewhere in the US (SFO?) to SIN.

That is a kick to the nuts.
Ouch
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:51 am
Suspended

I remember a thread on the united forum where someone got downgraded from J to Y and ended up in a middle seat on a flight from somewhere in the US (SFO?) to SIN.

That is a kick to the nuts.
I wouldn't even accept that downgrade. I would tell them to put me on the next available flight in J.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kapooncha
I wouldn't even accept that downgrade. I would tell them to put me on the next available flight in J.
Yeah me too. It's not even a close decision.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:01 am

I still haven't been able to find a single US-HKG long haul seat in F in all of 2019, even on flights with F6. Not close-in, not far-out either, regardless of how many F seats actually sold. Once we hit 2020 the 1 seat per flight availability returns to normal.

Is this something that you see being rectified later this year? Or is this the new norm in 2019, considering the error fares and such decreasing inventory and resulting in Cathay refusing to release F awards ex-US in 2019 no matter what?

If anybody has been able to ticket a F award ex-US over the past few weeks for travel in 2019, I'd love to hear from you as a data point.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
I still haven't been able to find a single US-HKG long haul seat in F in all of 2019, even on flights with F6. Not close-in, not far-out either, regardless of how many F seats actually sold. Once we hit 2020 the 1 seat per flight availability returns to normal.

Is this something that you see being rectified later this year? Or is this the new norm in 2019, considering the error fares and such decreasing inventory and resulting in Cathay refusing to release F awards ex-US in 2019 no matter what?

If anybody has been able to ticket a F award ex-US over the past few weeks for travel in 2019, I'd love to hear from you as a data point.
The error fare killed them all. It is some small comfort at least to see openings in 2020.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
The error fare killed them all. It is some small comfort at least to see openings in 2020.
Yup... I see some flights with F3 a few days out and flights with F6 in November, but CX isn't releasing any of those seats, even as AsiaMiles Choice (one step more expensive than Standard). My guess is they are treating the New Years Eve Special seats as part of their award quota (likely similar revenue?).
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
F to J is a kick to the nuts? Talk about first world problems (and this is coming from someone who refuses to fly Y long-haul)
fwiw, when I fly CX F, I have to drive or connect to ORD, then connect at HKG to PEK/SHA/PVG, which is well worth it (even a middle of the night KA flight to PEK) to fly CX F and the wing F. If I had to fly CX J, I would just fly DL non-stop from DTW on A350 suites, which has good availability (to PEK at least) for 60k VS miles
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:15 am

Hi,

is there the possibility to book DOH-HKG which has a CX number but is operated by Qatar? Or does that not work?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by elgato
Hi,

is there the possibility to book DOH-HKG which has a CX number but is operated by Qatar? Or does that not work?
Nope, you can only book Cathay operated flights. You'll need to use miles from an airline that partners with Qatar (like Oneworld airlines) to book those flights.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
fwiw, when I fly CX F, I have to drive or connect to ORD, then connect at HKG to PEK/SHA/PVG, which is well worth it (even a middle of the night KA flight to PEK) to fly CX F and the wing F. If I had to fly CX J, I would just fly DL non-stop from DTW on A350 suites, which has good availability (to PEK at least) for 60k VS miles
By the time I am in hours 20-24 of those kinds of trips, regardless of hot showers of Krug and caviar I got on the plane, I kind of want it to be over. I LOVE that SEA has good J products out of SEA to Asia, even if they aren’t going to ever have the F products LAX/SFO have, because that saves me 5 hours right there. I would rather have a quick comfortable trip in J than a multistop luxurious one in F. To each their own, I guess.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I LOVE that SEA has good J products out of SEA to Asia, even if they aren’t going to ever have the F products LAX/SFO have, because that saves me 5 hours right there. I would rather have a quick comfortable trip in J than a multistop luxurious one in F. To each their own, I guess.

If i were based on SEA, I would drive to YVR to fly CX F (or cheap canadian paid J fares), an hour shorter than DTW to ORD or YYZ hehehe
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If i were based on SEA, I would drive to YVR to fly CX F (or cheap canadian paid J fares), an hour shorter than DTW to ORD or YYZ hehehe
Realistically it's about the same 5 hours (travel+airport time) if you drive to YVR to fly YVR-HKG or fly SEA-SFO/LAX-HKG, except now you're paying to park a car at YVR instead of an extra $5.60 for the segment. SEA-YVR-SEA on QX is also not often timed well for 888/889.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, barring equipment swap, I'm flying CX F in march (I shelled out the extra 20k miles), so I'm glad to hear that it's really that good (it will be my first time on CX F)
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Realistically it's about the same 5 hours (travel+airport time) if you drive to YVR to fly YVR-HKG or fly SEA-SFO/LAX-HKG, except now you're paying to park a car at YVR instead of an extra $5.60 for the segment. SEA-YVR-SEA on QX is also not often timed well for 888/889.
My bad, I'm used to being forced to drive to/from ORD (one way rental for flexibility!) as AS won't ticket AA with CX award.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad, I'm used to being forced to drive to/from ORD (one way rental for flexibility!) as AS won't ticket AA with CX award.
Well, you could always spend 110k AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.