Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pcoll
A slight change to this thread for 2020. Please include whether a menu card was offered along with the other information:

Date:
Route:
Flight Number:
Departure time:
Menu: Yes/No
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I would venture to guess the average price is probably a lot higher for a transatlantic flight most flights are double the flight length. It's not comparing apples to apples.
Fair enough, although I would also point out JetBlue Mint included a full dinner on my bos-sfo flight departing 9:40 pm and Delta One served a full dinner on a lax-jfk red-eye. Yes, these are premium transcon routes and not Hawaii routes, but Alaska treats those two markets the same way in terms of inflight service.

That said, it makes sense for Alaska to provide a consistent service on red-eye flights and the half sandwich and soup combo is a satisfying light meal. Much better than the hummus and veggies that was served at one point on the red-eye flights...

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jul 20, 2019 at 7:46 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Runner9037
We’re going to RNO from SEA in a month, and it sounds like the options for the “snack” are turkey burger or protein plate. Does anyone know if I can get a cheese plate instead? I don’t eat turkey and I believe the protein plate has turkey too.
Reporting back after completing SEA-RNO roundtrip on a 737 over the past week: Both directions we got one pass of the snack basket. That plus beverage service was all. SEA-RNO flight 475 was over the lunch hour so I bought a deli pack. RNO-SEA flight 474 was mid afternoon so I had already eaten lunch.

One warning: If you are a chocolate lover I'd advise steering clear of the small organic sea salt chocolate bar in the snack basket -- that is unless you just love an overpowering dose of salt. The banana, however, was just fine.

ETA: No PDB apart from the water bottle. Had to ask for that on 475 .
Ready2SailAway likes this.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Jul 21, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Enjoy a 2-4-1 because I've been so lazy. Tried both mid-range meals on two separate trips: AS 753 on 6/16 and AS 199 on 7/8. Both flights had a choice of Peruvian Chicken Breast or Mezzeluna Shiitake Edamame

Date: 6/16
Route: RDU-SEA
Flight Number: AS753
Departure time: 17:25
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack

Got the Peruvian Chicken. The meal was so good I wish I had the recipe to make at home. This is honestly one of the best meals I've had on AS.

Date: 7/8
Route: PIT-SEA
Flight Number: AS199
Departure time: 16:15
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack

Tried the Shiitake. Very heavy on the greens and honestly the portions looked smaller. It was filling in a healthy kind of way but definitely didn't taste as amazing as the chicken. I felt like the amount of pasta-to-mushroom ratio was off and overpowered by the greens.

Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Thanks for the report - I'm going to stick with the chicken Baltimore-Portland this week!

Originally Posted by mfolf
Tried the Shiitake. Very heavy on the greens and honestly the portions looked smaller. It was filling in a healthy kind of way but definitely didn't taste as amazing as the chicken. I felt like the amount of pasta-to-mushroom ratio was off and overpowered by the greens.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
AS1391 MSY-SFO on 7/19

For a 4+ hour flight, HALF of a small turkey sandwich and tiny bag of Lay's potato chips (not even a full sandwich offered)

Since I had planned for a full meal (like I had on the flight in), didn't eat beforehand. Politely asked for a cheese plate or any snacks from in back, etc and was denied.

Is this normal on this return route or was my flight not catered properly?

On top of that, NO seat power, no IFE (or tablets offered), no seat recline, etc. I was in 2F on an Airbus, but the whole F cabin's seats had no power/recline/IFE

I paid $649 one-way for this Y class ticket. Had I known there'd be no meal service and a broken F cabin of seats, for less money I would have bought a nonstop F ticket on United for this route and at least gotten a working seat and a meal (or alternatively, treated myself to a lovely meal at Restaurant August, proper wine, and then happily sat in Y in a seat that reclines).

No compensation or explanation offered by AS.

Carfield and CREN like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by mixmastermark
AS1391 MSY-SFO on 7/19

For a 4+ hour flight, HALF of a small turkey sandwich and tiny bag of Lay's potato chips (not even a full sandwich offered)

Since I had planned for a full meal (like I had on the flight in), didn't eat beforehand. Politely asked for a cheese plate or any snacks from in back, etc and was denied.

Is this normal on this return route or was my flight not catered properly?

On top of that, NO seat power, no IFE (or tablets offered), no seat recline, etc. I was in 2F on an Airbus, but the whole F cabin's seats had no power/recline/IFE

I paid $649 one-way for this Y class ticket. Had I known there'd be no meal service and a broken F cabin of seats, for less money I would have bought a nonstop F ticket on United for this route and at least gotten a working seat and a meal (or alternatively, treated myself to a lovely meal at Restaurant August, proper wine, and then happily sat in Y in a seat that reclines).

No compensation or explanation offered by AS.

Two points here:

1. I've taken this flight before and the problem with your meal complaint is the departure time. The flight leaves at 8:30pm and Dinner is only served up until 8:00pm. It's coded as a snack, so if you had looked, you would've known that.

2. You should receive compensation for your other complaints, but they won't issue it proactively. Send a brief note to customer care with your flt #/date/name and receipt or record locator with an explanation of the problems with the seats and the IFE. I wouldn't even mention your food complaint in that communication, as what they provided is what is advertised.

I've also taken the UA nonstop and you do receive a meal on it (due to the UA departure time), but when the seats and IFE are working, the AS flight is a more comfortable ride. The last time I took the AS flight I stopped at Parkway for a po-boy for the flight, which got me lots of jealous looks from my seat mate when comparing sandwiches.
AS Flyer, CREN and mixmastermark like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:19 pm

Thanks for the helpful info! Spot on.

Sent a note regarding the broken seats (which happens occasionally on the odd F seat on the airbus, but this was the whole F cabin and no power up there either)

And well played on the BYOS! @:-)

I thought the dainty half-sandwich was a bit light, considering what they served on the inbound SFO-MSY. Definitely should have checked the meal in advance, but only fly this route once a year for Tales of the Cocktail.

Thanks again.
NoLaGent and CREN like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:48 pm

Not to excuse the deplorable state of some of the ex-Virgin Airbus aircraft, but the seats can be adjusted manually if the power fails. There is an access panel at the rear of the console between each pair of F seats. I'm surprised the crew did not point this out if the whole cabin had inoperable seats.

AS1391 MSY-SFO on 7/19

Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
One warning: If you are a chocolate lover I'd advise steering clear of the small organic sea salt chocolate bar in the snack basket -- that is unless you just love an overpowering dose of salt. The banana, however, was just fine.
Ya - I believe 70% indicates the amount of sea salt, rather than cocoa! haha

Westcoaster and samosa like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kurt
Not to excuse the deplorable state of some of the ex-Virgin Airbus aircraft, but the seats can be adjusted manually if the power fails. There is an access panel at the rear of the console between each pair of F seats. I'm surprised the crew did not point this out if the whole cabin had inoperable seats.
I'm aware of this, and actually tried to use the manual recline function lever under the armrest, but it shot back like a slingshot slamming into full recline (loudly) and would not stay put. It also would not lock in place for any kind of partial recline. After trying this twice without luck, the loud noise got the FA's attention and she came over asked me not to recline manually
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:41 am

I'm aware of this, and actually tried to use the manual recline function lever under the armrest, but it shot back like a slingshot slamming into full recline (loudly) and would not stay put. It also would not lock in place for any kind of partial recline. After trying this twice without luck, the loud noise got the FA's attention and she came over asked me not to recline manually
Yeah, those little levers are not for passengers to use - and now you know why.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:44 am

The crew didn't point it out because it's not a "recline button". it's a lever for the crew to use to reset the seats.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:50 am

I guess it's best to just sit quietly bolt upright (arms neatly folded in your lap, preferably) if your seat is inop. on an Airbus.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
The crew didn't point it out because it's not a "recline button". it's a lever for the crew to use to reset the seats.
OR. The crew has no idea there is a lever. Had to point it out to F FA on our last airbus flight. AS migrated crew member who seemed to not know a lot about Airbus. Appreciated my demonstration , then they were able to service passenger in row 1.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:43 pm

I guess it's best to just sit quietly bolt upright (arms neatly folded in your lap, preferably) if your seat is inop. on an Airbus.
Ummmm, it's not a recline button. It doesn't recline the seat - it drops it all the way back so you can put it back up. Roll your eyes all you like, everything on the plane isn't for you to touch and move in any way you deem appropriate - some things really are meant to be operated by someone that works there.

Last edited by AS Flyer; Jul 24, 2019 at 11:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.