Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The layover is longer than 4 hours. These shouldn't be pricing out on a single fare component according to AS fare rules (but for some reason, they are) which only allows for layovers of up to 4 hours before a stopover and fare break is created. Technically, I would think they should all price as broken fares (as above, where poster gets a T and a G).

Stopovers: NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED. NO STOPOVER OCCURS IF PASSENGER TAKES NEXT AVAILABLE FLIGHT WITHIN 4 HOURS.

Last edited by xliioper; May 13, 2019 at 9:27 am
Old May 13, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by davidgmg
I bought a cheap saver ticket round-trip to Palm Springs from Seattle and even on a mostly empty flight once a seat was assigned they wouldn't allow me to change it. I thought that was the most frustrating part of the saver fare. The only allow you to select seats and last two rows of the airplane or they will assign the seat for you. I looked before I checked in and the plane was 50% empty with lots of aisle seats and regular coach so I didn't think I'd ever problem changing or re selecting a seat but I found that was impossible to do. I had planned to do a same day change coming home but also found that was impossible. The only upgrade seats were $49 however on a $59 fare that's quite a upgrade just to get an aisle seat. I don't think I'll be using saver fares again
Ask the gate agent to change your seat. I have done it a few times when my seat isn't ideal.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's showing both as T for me, which explains the price difference. I don't know why they aren't selling you T though

ETA: What if you click through from here: https://flights.app.goo.gl/gLr5y

It shows me a $20 buy-up

ETA again: but when I clicked through, it said that a "real-time price change" caused my itinerary to be repriced, and it showed me G. I guess they zeroed out T? And it took a while to fully propagate?
When I click that link, it does show $20 for upgrading now, but same as with you, it charges $100 with the real-time price change.

Originally Posted by xliioper
The layover is longer than 4 hours. These shouldn't be pricing out on a single fare component according to AS fare rules (but for some reason, they are) which only allows for layovers of up to 4 hours before a stopover and fare break is created. Technically, I would think they should all price as broken fares (as above, where poster gets a T and a G).

Stopovers: NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED. NO STOPOVER OCCURS IF PASSENGER TAKES NEXT AVAILABLE FLIGHT WITHIN 4 HOURS.
Interesting detail. This likely explains the past times I've seen only saver offered. I see transcon routes with more than 4 hour layovers offered by AS often though... layovers through SEA are usually the cause. If I understand what you're saying, that would mean all of those fares are priced the same as booking the two connecting flights separately?
Old May 13, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that $273.59 price is just a combination of a TH2TAYMN fare for SJC-SAN at $68.30 and a GH2OAVMN fare for SAN-BWI at $205.30. The cheaper Saver and Main fares are the result of combining both segments onto a single SJC-BWI fare which theoretically shouldn't be allowed due to the 4 hour maximum layover time for combining segments on one fare.
jjmadison likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 13, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 1:35 pm

My recent experience with saver fare and seat assignment

Ok, i need counseling. I did a few mileage run to catch the Coast 2 Elite and Coast 2 Coast promo. Luckily, I book the transcon for pretty much $99 one way on saver fare. Only 1 of my total 8 legs is $160. So, good price there.

Now, let's talk about seat assignment, which concerns most people. Notice, I never check in at T-24, because I know at that time, there are many seats available, and I probably guaranteed a middle seat at the back.

Run1, LAX-BWI-LAX
When I check in at the Customer Assistance desk at LAX, yes, those long lines in front of an agent, I asked to get both my outbound and inbound boarding pass. It was around T-3 for my outbound. I got assigned 6F, yay, premium class window seats. It sounds great, but the lady in the middle seat is super fat, her arm crossed over the arm rest and came on top of my arm a bit. And, the armrest is up a little because of her thigh. For my inbound flight, normal middle seat at back 29E. But moved up front a little to 10E at the gate.

Run2, LAX-PHL-LAX
Again, I went to the Customer Assistance desk at LAX to checkin, outbound get an 6B again, For inbound, I can't remember when the seat assignment showed up, but def. before T-24, assigned at 6B.

Run3, LAX-PHL-LAX
Now, I already have the MVP status thanks to the promo. However, my original routine doesn't work any more. Went to the Elite Check-in desk, and got assigned for 22F and 9A. Still, windows seats, not bad. ps, FA of outbound flight talked a lot and loud.

Run4, LAX-PHL-LAX
This time is a little different, normally my seat won't be assigned until I go to check-in (other than the 6B I got once), but it got assigned T-18 (around) to 27A and 9A. And I still haven't checked in yet. I don't know if they were assigned together, but happened overnight.

Normal travel, LAX-PHL-LAX
By then, I'll be MVPG, but it is scheduled at Memorial day weekend. Will update if I remember. And I have main for one leg, and saver for another.

Overall, the experience is good. and Virgin's old fleet is comfy compared to others. Premium Class is really nice compared to Delta's Comfort+. And, with my cheap fare, I still got tons of miles.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:41 pm

seat assignment for MVP vs no-status passenger

My friend and I had the same saver ticket on the same flight, but I have status and she doesn't. Both checked in using app around T-24. I got a seat assignment, she was told go to the gate (rather, assigned at the gate). I think I checked in later.

Is that a priority thing for status passengers? Or just a random thing.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
My friend and I had the same saver ticket on the same flight, but I have status and she doesn't. Both checked in using app around T-24. I got a seat assignment, she was told go to the gate (rather, assigned at the gate). I think I checked in later.

Is that a priority thing for status passengers? Or just a random thing.
What was her seat assignment? It could very well be better than yours.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
What was her seat assignment? It could very well be better than yours.
Last row of the bus mine was middle so hers was not better
Old May 14, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Originally Posted by simonsuo
I did a few mileage run to catch the Coast 2 Elite and Coast 2 Coast promo. Luckily, I book the transcon for pretty much $99 one way on saver fare.
Congrats! Welcome to the club. Nice fare find, mine were about $149 each way but in Main.
Now prepare to be forced NOT to buy Saver fares in order to use most of your newfound benefits
simonsuo likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:16 pm

Same thing happened to me. I was MVP and got assgined seats at T-24 for all of my 8 flights. 1 time middle, 5 times window, 2 times asile. Didnt speak with the gate agents and I saw people with no status given F or Y. I felt stupid 99% of the time since I bought saver fare for all 8 segments (saved around $300 though)
Old May 17, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by sudobuntu
Congrats! Welcome to the club. Nice fare find, mine were about $149 each way but in Main.
Now prepare to be forced NOT to buy Saver fares in order to use most of your newfound benefits
For my last flights, I did go to the gate agent and saying hey, I just got MVP, can I sit at the Exit row? And he assigned me one right away. One my way back, same thing, and I own the whole exit row myself, lying down all the way back. Better than F. Both in saver. PS, I went to the gate agent when everyone was assigned, and all upgrades were cleared. There were a few people in front of me asking for a window seat, got a no. But i'll opt for main in the future hope to get F seats.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: I've lost count
X fare vs. mobile app

Has anyone had trouble importing a Saver fare reservation into the iPhone app? Or is mobile management/check-in now supposed to be a perk of R fares and up?

I’m getting “This reservation cannot be viewed from this application.” This is my first saver fare purchase and I get the same error message whether I try to enter it manually or load it by syncing my account.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by wanderlove
Has anyone had trouble importing a Saver fare reservation into the iPhone app? Or is mobile management/check-in now supposed to be a perk of R fares and up?

I’m getting “This reservation cannot be viewed from this application.” This is my first saver fare purchase and I get the same error message whether I try to enter it manually or load it by syncing my account.
never had a problem viewing and check in, make sure you update your ios and app
Old May 28, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
MVP spouse on PDX-EWR tomorrow morning. X ticket assigned 12F with empty middle seat at check in this morning. 5 open F, 6 open PC but all middles. Back of the plane full except for one open seat. Waitlist already 24 deep. For an MVP the PC might work if someone gets moved up and an aisle or window open up.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, CX MPCS
How does saver fare seat assignment work if no 'saver' seat is selected at checkout?

I had a friend flying on a saver fare that did not select a seat (no aisle seat available at checkout). When she arrived at the airport she saw that her seat was 7D.
There were names on waitlist for upgrade and there were non-premium seats still open on the plane.

She is not a mileage plan member (no status).

What is the process the system uses to select the seat for saver fares? My understanding is that saver fares are generally placed in rows 28-32 (back).
Do they oversell saver fares even when those rows are all occupied? Does that mean a saver fare will still be sold if the only seats left are in premium?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.