FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares
Old May 14, 2019, 1:35 pm
simonsuo

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My recent experience with saver fare and seat assignment

Ok, i need counseling. I did a few mileage run to catch the Coast 2 Elite and Coast 2 Coast promo. Luckily, I book the transcon for pretty much $99 one way on saver fare. Only 1 of my total 8 legs is $160. So, good price there.

Now, let's talk about seat assignment, which concerns most people. Notice, I never check in at T-24, because I know at that time, there are many seats available, and I probably guaranteed a middle seat at the back.

Run1, LAX-BWI-LAX
When I check in at the Customer Assistance desk at LAX, yes, those long lines in front of an agent, I asked to get both my outbound and inbound boarding pass. It was around T-3 for my outbound. I got assigned 6F, yay, premium class window seats. It sounds great, but the lady in the middle seat is super fat, her arm crossed over the arm rest and came on top of my arm a bit. And, the armrest is up a little because of her thigh. For my inbound flight, normal middle seat at back 29E. But moved up front a little to 10E at the gate.

Run2, LAX-PHL-LAX
Again, I went to the Customer Assistance desk at LAX to checkin, outbound get an 6B again, For inbound, I can't remember when the seat assignment showed up, but def. before T-24, assigned at 6B.

Run3, LAX-PHL-LAX
Now, I already have the MVP status thanks to the promo. However, my original routine doesn't work any more. Went to the Elite Check-in desk, and got assigned for 22F and 9A. Still, windows seats, not bad. ps, FA of outbound flight talked a lot and loud.

Run4, LAX-PHL-LAX
This time is a little different, normally my seat won't be assigned until I go to check-in (other than the 6B I got once), but it got assigned T-18 (around) to 27A and 9A. And I still haven't checked in yet. I don't know if they were assigned together, but happened overnight.

Normal travel, LAX-PHL-LAX
By then, I'll be MVPG, but it is scheduled at Memorial day weekend. Will update if I remember. And I have main for one leg, and saver for another.

Overall, the experience is good. and Virgin's old fleet is comfy compared to others. Premium Class is really nice compared to Delta's Comfort+. And, with my cheap fare, I still got tons of miles.