Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm planning ahead already. I'm not going for 75K again next year. I'm way too far off (think almost 2 RT to SYD). In case they give me a challenge to get 75K back, I'm planning that trip now just in case to hopefully lock in Premium seats and not a basic fare. Now that I go searching was the challenge capped at MVPG 8 segments? *edit* never mind it was 20K miles in a few months as of early 2018 reports. just no reports of whether the 50k bonus came with it.
Is that on AS metal only? If partners are allowed I found a good LA fare to SA with AS flights to the gateway city, unlimited transfers and fully refundable/changeable. I was able to price with 8 AS flights including a transcon in H class. Eligible fare for 75K. ~USD$709 each way. ~10K EQM.

James
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by milypan

It depends on how sophisticated the average traveler is. From AS’s perspective, they’ve been forced to match BE fares for the last year because the average traveler isn’t smart enough to understand that the non-BE fare offers a better value that’s worth paying more for. If people were flocking to AS because it offered non-BE amenities at BE prices, then they might have a problem, but I’m sure their sense is that that hasn’t been happening.

I’m a little puzzled at the doom and gloom surrounding BE introduction. In the long run, the non-BE premium has not proven to be that high at other airlines. For example, if I search for cheap UA transcon fares in early December, I see RT SFO-EWR fares of $253 for BE and $273 for regular economy. I’d prefer not to pay the extra 20 bucks, but it’s not going to induce me to stop traveling or shift all my travel to a different carrier.

One way to look at it is that they’re targeting $100m revenue growth on a base of 50 million revenue passengers. They won’t offer a BE option on every ticket sold, but even if they only offer it on 1 in 3, the implicit non-BE premium is about $7-8 per ticket (assuming most flyers don’t purchase BE).
It’s about $15 on DL for SEA-LAX/SJC one way.

DL is also quite aggressive on buy-ups: I had the option to buy up to F for $100 on a mileage ticket LAX-SEA. You earn miles on those, too.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:48 am

Looking at comparable flights to ones that I have coming up(mostly sea to was and nyc), it looks like the buy up out of basic economy is $20-$30. If that is the case, I will pay it and I imagine most elites will too. I spend too many hours of my life on a plane to have it be that unpleasant. However, I am not rich and already spend way too much money on plane tickets, so if the total cost that I pay keeps rising, I will probably chose to fly less. For my particular situation, I don’t really see another carrier offering anything better. If I did I would switch, but I just don’t see it in the current situation. That of course is a huge YMMV. As a 75k, I have way more to lose in basic economy than someone with no status. I might buy basic economy on a carrier that I don’t have status with figuring I’ll be sitting at the back of the plane anyway but probably not on Alaska. As it stands now, I can chose premium class at booking, I am usually upgraded to first class and my change fees are waived. All those things are worth $30 to me. If any of that changes, I will keep revaluating.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Is that on AS metal only? If partners are allowed I found a good LA fare to SA with AS flights to the gateway city, unlimited transfers and fully refundable/changeable. I was able to price with 8 AS flights including a transcon in H class. Eligible fare for 75K. ~USD$709 each way. ~10K EQM.

James
Yep AS metal only. I wish I'm doing EWR-SIN premium economy on SQ in January.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Yep AS metal only. I wish I'm doing EWR-SIN premium economy on SQ in January.
Since the fare is refundable, use it for the AS segments, cancel the LA segment at the gateway and get a partial refund.

Long flight EWR-SIN on SQ22. I want to do it in Reverse in J. Great J fare starting in AMD. JL award to Deli. The only thing holding me back is no COS in SQ J, almost 2500 EQM.

James
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wwongo
Looking at comparable flights to ones that I have coming up(mostly sea to was and nyc), it looks like the buy up out of basic economy is $20-$30. If that is the case, I will pay it and I imagine most elites will too. I spend too many hours of my life on a plane to have it be that unpleasant. However, I am not rich and already spend way too much money on plane tickets, so if the total cost that I pay keeps rising, I will probably chose to fly less. For my particular situation, I don’t really see another carrier offering anything better. If I did I would switch, but I just don’t see it in the current situation. That of course is a huge YMMV. As a 75k, I have way more to lose in basic economy than someone with no status. I might buy basic economy on a carrier that I don’t have status with figuring I’ll be sitting at the back of the plane anyway but probably not on Alaska. As it stands now, I can chose premium class at booking, I am usually upgraded to first class and my change fees are waived. All those things are worth $30 to me. If any of that changes, I will keep revaluating.
You can always look at Southwest.....no change fees, bags for free and points you can use anytime.....and they empower thier CSAs to do the right thing....
milypan and missamo80 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
It will come down to bargain shopping or just staying home. For instance, in the summertime between ANC and SEA, which airline is the cheapest and which flight is the most conveniently timed?

I used to be be encouraged to take weekend trips because I could buy the cheapest fare on AS, board first, sit in 6F at worst, have a free drink, and maybe score an upgrade... all because of my loyalty over the previous year. It felt nice. It was incentive to buy a cheap ticket even though I didn't have to. Now it's just a cheap ticket with a crappy seat. And for me, there is a big difference between 300 RT with perks and 400 RT with perks. Maybe another airline will have a better offer, or maybe I will stay home.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
You can always look at Southwest.....no change fees, bags for free and points you can use anytime.....and they empower thier CSAs to do the right thing....
Southwest schedule just doesn't work for me. The biggest bulk of my travel is visiting my elderly mother and aunt in northern Virginia from Seattle. I go for the weekend about every 6 weeks. I need a Friday afternoon direct flight and then back on Sunday evening. IAD is favored with DCA ok too. Southwest only has one direct a day and it is to BWI. I also go to new York a few times a year and then vacation trips to various places. United would work for me but so far mileage plan is still tipping my choice to AS.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
This link (a guide to saver fares for travel agents) was posted in an 75K facebook group I follow and describes a lot of the benefits (or lack of) that the saver fares will have:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/saver-fares

It sounds like it won't necessarily be it's own distinct fare class from the description (so you could potentially buy a non-saver R fare or a saver Y fare, for example), but in summary:
  • no same day confirmed changes
  • no same day stand-by
  • no elite upgrades or ability to use miles to upgrade
  • no advance seat selection
  • last boarding group
  • mileage earning remains 1 mile flown = 1 EQM earned
Elites will retain some of their benefits including:
  • seat selection (though keep in mind premium class counts as an "upgrade", so you may have to pay for the seat you used to get for free - paying for a premium seat is permitted)
  • boarding prioirty
  • baggage allowance (including AS CC holders)
Crankyflier has a story about this today.

https://crankyflier.com/2018/10/30/a...t-assignments/

apparently the seat selection is initially not available through 3rd party channels, but *is* available through AS’ website. With a limited number of seats set aside in the back for saver fare purchasers.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Oct 30, 2018 at 1:04 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
They’re going to offer Saver on last minute Y fares? That’s a (expletive deleted) show waiting to happen. Even UA figured that one out.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Interesting... if seat selection is available for elites or when purchasing directly through AS then it might not be so bad using these fares for flights I know will not change & I dont care about getting upgraded.

Still want to know what the price difference is going to look like to pay for my benefits.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Interesting... if seat selection is available for elites or when purchasing directly through AS then it might not be so bad using these fares for flights I know will not change & I dont care about getting upgraded.

Still want to know what the price difference is going to look like to pay for my benefits.
Just an FYI that my initial post (since been quoted a few times, including above) did contain some mis-information. Elites will be assigned a seat at check-in, not be able to select at booking, unfortunately.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wwongo
Southwest schedule just doesn't work for me. The biggest bulk of my travel is visiting my elderly mother and aunt in northern Virginia from Seattle. I go for the weekend about every 6 weeks. I need a Friday afternoon direct flight and then back on Sunday evening. IAD is favored with DCA ok too. Southwest only has one direct a day and it is to BWI. I also go to new York a few times a year and then vacation trips to various places. United would work for me but so far mileage plan is still tipping my choice to AS.
Totally fair....its all about personal travel patterns....if WN went to eastern Canada (YOW/YYZ/YUL) that would be amazing
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Just an FYI that my initial post (since been quoted a few times, including above) did contain some mis-information. Elites will be assigned a seat at check-in, not be able to select at booking, unfortunately.
That doesn’t seem to be what Cranky was told by AS. His article states that anyone (not just elites) can select a seat from a limit set of available seats in the back of the cabin on alaska’s website.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
They’re going to offer Saver on last minute Y fares? That’s a (expletive deleted) show waiting to happen. Even UA figured that one out.
I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion. Both the regular fare class and X need to be available for them to sell a Saver fare. Just because the system might be capable of offering unlimited X, doesn't mean that AS won't have X zero out well before Y does.

Whether it zeros out along with G or with B is anyone's guess at this point. But who knows, maybe they haven't learned any lessons from watching anyone else and it will be along with Y after all. Good thing my tickets to The (expletive deleted) Show come with assigned seating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.