Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Carry-On Size Policy - Reports and Effects (6/4/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium

I don’t fly out this week until Wednesday, but I’ve heard from friends and looking at Twitter that it’s not going well. What has your experience been? Delayed flights while everyone fails the new bag sizer and gate checks for $25? Is there reinforcement at the gates with enough staff to handle the chaos? Continue to be vocal about your unhappiness. Business travelers who live out of their carry-on with work materials and clothes are going to suffer the most. We are Alaska’s bread and butter customers. We sometimes travel last minute with higher fares and earn 75K early in the year. They need to hear our voice of unhappiness. Tweet or email Alaska to share your opinion.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Flew from GEG to SEA this morning and GAs were being very strict about bag size. Most people's bags were measured against the sample carry-on bag while boarding. I was able to board with a slightly larger backpack since it had multiple thousands of dollars of camera gear.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
I don’t fly out this week until Wednesday, but I’ve heard from friends and looking at Twitter that it’s not going well. What has your experience been? Delayed flights while everyone fails the new bag sizer and gate checks for $25? Is there reinforcement at the gates with enough staff to handle the chaos? Continue to be vocal about your unhappiness. Business travelers who live out of their carry-on with work materials and clothes are going to suffer the most. We are Alaska’s bread and butter customers. We sometimes travel last minute with higher fares and earn 75K early in the year. They need to hear our voice of unhappiness. Tweet or email Alaska to share your opinion.
I also fly on Wednesday. Since I specifically purchased my bag as an international carry-on, I've never experienced a problem on any carrier (nor will I this week). But it will be disappointing if they haven't adequately prepared to cope with the extra work of enforcing the new rules. We'll see in a couple of days... Until then, I've got nothing worth a tweet-plaint.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
Okay, and in contrast to the above entitlement-angled rant, I think it's very relevant to remember that Alaska's new bag size limits now MATCH WHAT OTHER AIRLINES ALREADY HAD.
And if you're their "bread and butter 75k customer", then you're certainly not paying any $25 to check your bag.

Life is short. Find something better than carry on size to be outraged about.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:58 pm

I didn't think much of it until I saw Twitter and yikes, what a mess.

They could’ve just -not- done this. It’s not like Alaska has any useful partners left.
TheDudeAbides likes this.

Last edited by bkojote; Jun 4, 2018 at 2:07 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:28 pm

Yeah, I also just cruised over to Twitter to see what was going on, and yeah, not good. Stories of passengers being forced to check bags even when overheads are empty, and not being allowed to put the bag in a sizer to see if it fits because the GA has decided that it's "too big." One person tweeted a pic of the F cabin with completely empty overhead bins because a SEA GA announced that all rolling bags were too big and none would be allowed.

It's one thing to roll out a new bag size, but it sounds like the implementation today was pretty terrible.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by Buster; Jun 4, 2018 at 2:28 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Legend717
Okay, and in contrast to the above entitlement-angled rant, I think it's very relevant to remember that Alaska's new bag size limits now MATCH WHAT OTHER AIRLINES ALREADY HAD.
And if you're their "bread and butter 75k customer", then you're certainly not paying any $25 to check your bag.

Life is short. Find something better than carry on size to be outraged about.
time is $ and no I don’t pay but most will and that will slow down boarding. Why am I outraged? Because I fly every week and live out of my carry on. If I have to check a bag to fit my work materials and personal items that have always fit in a carry on, then I lose at least one hour per each way. Life is short and I hate wasting time waiting to check or pick up a bag!! I have traveled on British and Air Lingus with my current carry on with no problems.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Buster
Yeah, I also just cruised over to Twitter to see what was going on, and yeah, not good. Stories of passengers being forced to check bags even when overheads are empty, and not being allowed to put the bag in a sizer to see if it fits because the GA has decided that it's "too big." One person tweeted a pic of the F cabin with completely empty overhead bins because a SEA GA announced that all rolling bags were too big and none would be allowed.

It's one thing to roll out a new bag size, but it sounds like the implementation today was pretty terrible.
welcome to Alaska Airlines, they always nerf implementation of everything it seems. now they'll have to invest to "retrain" everyone, in the meantime we will all live in limbo, and AS has burned more of what limited good will they have left.

flying AS next Monday, will just have one medium sized duffel bag and a fly rod case, not going to be willing to check either one.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Buster

My check of Twitter revealed about one example of each that you mention over the past several hours, but my searching skills may be poor. Honestly until I see it for myself, I view most travel reports with a healthy amount of skepticism.

I once sat next to a guy who said he was letting Virgin America have it on Twitter for how "horrible" they were at the gate. So I pulled up the tweets, and 90% of his complaints were bogus or hugely exaggerated. There was a thing that happened, but it was nothing even close to what he was flipping out about online.

So maybe it's a nightmare, or maybe not. I'll continue to hope for the best but not count on it.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:09 pm

If I'm MVP/MVP Gold, or have the alaska credit card - both of which waive first checked bag fees - does this mean I can get gate-checked bag fee waived also?

If yes, then I'm fine with taking my normal carry on which hasn't given issues over the last several years on any airline, with the offchance that the gate agent will ask me to check in.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Calculon
My check of Twitter revealed about one example of each that you mention over the past several hours, but my searching skills may be poor.

Those are just in the last 2-3 hours or so, according to timestamps.

This one is particularly special:
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I'm finally paying attention to this whole bag resizing thing. Blah. I checked and the rolling camera bag I've flown with for years, with $$$ gear in it, is 16x15.5x10" and will violate Alaska's new baggage size rules. If I go with my *bigger* rolling camera bag, it's 21x14x8" and will meet the carry on requirements. Siiiiiiiiiigh. My next trip will be fun.

Neil
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Boarding out of ORD right now and no one seems to care about carryon bag size at all 🤔
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Glad Alaska invested and heavily promoted those space bins on their planes. Another excellent move by the folks at Angle Lake.

Originally Posted by missamo80
I'm finally paying attention to this whole bag resizing thing. Blah. I checked and the rolling camera bag I've flown with for years, with $$$ gear in it, is 16x15.5x10" and will violate Alaska's new baggage size rules. If I go with my *bigger* rolling camera bag, it's 21x14x8" and will meet the carry on requirements. Siiiiiiiiiigh. My next trip will be fun.
Think Tank bags?

If there's any trouble with the camera bag, politely explain you're a photographer and there's many, many expensive cameras and lenses in it. I've opened it up for people and once they see what's inside, they usually don't have a problem with it. This also works when the FA tries to rearrange your bag in the overhead with the new bins, or someone wants to be helpful and take your very heavy bag out of the bin. Worse case, unpack everything and take it on with you.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Maybe I don't really get it... but since the size is now standard across major carriers, is it really true that pax have a larger carry-on that's just for AS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.