Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
AS is made for fans like yourself, especially given your location. As I mentioned earlier, AS has a complete stranglehold over fliers out of Alaska who pay some of the highest fares per mile to go out and within the state, DL has been trying to break in with better hard and soft product but they have not had any luck (see my trip reports from couple of years ago), for one of my clients there I tried to convince their execs to switch to DL who was offering almost 30% less on ANC-SEA-- routes, but could not convince them. The whole stick of the credit card with its comp tickets and the eskimo on the tail is too much for them to leave.

I'm just teed off that AS used this cash flow from this Alaska premium to take out a competitor to UA in my hometown that I used quite a bit, and is now chopping it up, when B6 could have come in and build a more stable competitor to UA.
The reality for DL in AK is that if you do a lot of intra-Alaska flying, which most people in Alaska do to at least some extent, you’re better off sticking with AS.

If they reinstated their old ANC-FAI and JNU-FAI routes, and maybe added ANC-JNU, they’d win over some more locals. But the likelihood of any of those happening is somewhere between 0 and 0.8%, IMO.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by david22
SFO leaves at 5pm! Who wants to get to a Maui hotel at 9:30pm and pay for an expensive night where you don't even arrive in time to do anything but sleep?

That’s my preference of departure time to Maui actually. I’ve taken the 3-4p WN flight out of OAK a few times, but a 5p is even better. Gets me at least a half day at work, and you land early enough to hit Maui Brew, Monkeypod or Fork and Salad before they close for a bedtime snack.

I’ve never been a huge fan of the 7a departure to Hawaii unless needed. Landing at 9a is kinda a drag since you can’t check in to a hotel for several hours. My ideal schedule is a mid to late afternoon departure heading west and a late afternoon departure heading east that’s not a red eye. Those 9a departures heading east really suck.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
AS is made for fans like yourself, especially given your location. As I mentioned earlier, AS has a complete stranglehold over fliers out of Alaska who pay some of the highest fares per mile to go out and within the state, DL has been trying to break in with better hard and soft product but they have not had any luck (see my trip reports from couple of years ago), for one of my clients there I tried to convince their execs to switch to DL who was offering almost 30% less on ANC-SEA-- routes, but could not convince them. The whole stick of the credit card with its comp tickets and the eskimo on the tail is too much for them to leave.

I'm just teed off that AS used this cash flow from this Alaska premium to take out a competitor to UA in my hometown that I used quite a bit, and is now chopping it up, when B6 could have come in and build a more stable competitor to UA.
Alaska’s about 10% of the AS network and hasn’t been an outsize part of their network since the 1990’s (and there really isn’t much expansion there); whining about that is like whining about Fortress EWR or IAH, or MSP or DTW, or DFW or DAL... well, you get the idea.

Alaska’s expansion in SEA (50% market share), PDX (40ish percent) and in CA (Hawaii, SJC and SAN) over the past 20 years is what really made the VX deal happen- but none of those market are fortress hubs. (And I really doubt DL wants to serve GST or BET anyway.)
AS Flyer and Flying for Fun like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 1, 2020 at 8:17 pm
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:09 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Does anyone know if the current seasonal reduction on ORD <==> SFO from 2 flights/day to 1 flight/day happens every year?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Does anyone know if the current seasonal reduction on ORD <==> SFO from 2 flights/day to 1 flight/day happens every year?
Yes, it has been for several years now. That was one of VX's weakest routes in winter and I doubt it is much better for AS.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:19 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Yes, it has been for several years now. That was one of VX's weakest routes in winter and I doubt it is much better for AS.
Thank you. It's a bummer for me, but I suspect I am not the typical customer on this route: flying for business and based in ORD.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by WebTraveler

In addition, Alaska will not resume seasonal service between Portland, Oregon (PDX) and Philadelphia (PHL) next summer, the airline confirms."
That's too bad, but not surprising. The flight times were horrible for leisure travelers, arriving into PHL before 5 a.m. and departing westbound at 6:00 a.m.

The AA non-stops on this route are much better, and IIRC the AA "season" lasted longer than the AS "season" on this route. Hope AS can bring it back sometime with a better schedule and more commitment, but I am not holding my breath.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Thank you. It's a bummer for me, but I suspect I am not the typical customer on this route: flying for business and based in ORD.
You may be the only one...LOL. Time to get some friends together to fly back and forth daily to generate some demand.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by navydevildoc

The number of direct out of California flights from SAN is slowly being culled from the network. Thankfully SAN-MCO is still alive and seems to be packed all the time so I hope it remains... it would be nice if they started using a Neo on that route. Since my top three destinations are MCO, FLL, and DAL I can visit the office in MCO then drive down the turnpike to FLL, then fly FLL-LAX-SAN. Dallas is a lost cause, it's now another SEA connection.
Don't assume that just cause a flight is full it will survive. I'm really pissed about the SMF-OGG route cut -- and that flight is always full, fares are often pretty high (though not nearly as high now that WN is in the market).
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Don't assume that just cause a flight is full it will survive. I'm really pissed about the SMF-OGG route cut -- and that flight is always full, fares are often pretty high (though not nearly as high now that WN is in the market).
Are you sure that the flight is "always full" and that the fares are usually "high" or does this condition happen 2 or 3 times per year when you are on the flight? Honestly, if the flight were always full and the fares were relatively high most of the time, then AS would definitely keep flying this route.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by formeraa
Are you sure that the flight is "always full" and that the fares are usually "high" or does this condition happen 2 or 3 times per year when you are on the flight? Honestly, if the flight were always full and the fares were relatively high most of the time, then AS would definitely keep flying this route.
Not necessarily. In a world of unlimited aircraft and crew, maybe. But if that same plane, now blocked for probably 13 hours for the round trip can perform more money making segments or fly an even more profitable trip, that is where the plane is a goin. And especially with SMF or other smaller stations, you have to throw crew scheduling (including hotels and so on) into the calculation.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by formeraa
AS definitely got a nonstop premium before HA and WN jumped on the route. Now, the calculus is admittedly different with the route going from ~170 nonstop seats a day to ~500 over the past 12 months. Fares are lower than they were in the past, no doubt. Nonetheless I have flown both HA and AS on the flight a few times in the past 12 months and every time it was full. These were not during traditional heavy leisure travel times either.

On TPG thread announcing this change, the statement was that the frame would be redeployed to increase frequency on SAN-OGG to 2x daily. Not sure if that's really true or just a coincidental change happening at the same time.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: Various
Most (Fewer) West Coast

This was announced, starting end of May ....

Los Angeles – Fort Lauderdale 1 daily 737-800
Los Angeles – Salt Lake City 1 daily Skywest Embraer E175
Sacramento – Kahului 1 daily 737-800
San Diego – Salt Lake City 1 daily Skywest Embraer E175
San Francisco – New Orleans 1 daily 737-900ER

Source: routes online.com

Also announced, though not cuts...watch for Airbus on some routes near you

Portland OR – Ontarioeff 19MAR20 A320
Portland OR – Phoenixeff 17JAN20 A320 (A319 from 21MAY20)
Seattle – Milwaukeeeff 07JAN20 A319/320
Seattle – Ontarioeff 19MAR20 A319/320
Seattle – Phoenix19MAR20 – 20MAY20 A321
Seattle – San Diego02FEB20 – 18MAR20 A321 (In addition to A319. A321 also scheduled on Saturdays from 21MAR20 to 18APR20)
Seattle – Spokaneeff 21MAY20 A319/320
Seattle – Reno21MAY20 – 08SEP20 A319
Seattle – Tucson08JAN20 – 17MAR20 A319

ONT (long time AB free station ��) , is no longe only EMB/B737. Hopefully it means increased frequency.

Last edited by Robt760; Jan 16, 2020 at 12:04 pm
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm confused on what that first section is supposed to be. LAX-FLL and SAN-SLC are already things. Is it a decrease in frequency?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
I'm confused on what that first section is supposed to be. LAX-FLL and SAN-SLC are already things. Is it a decrease in frequency?
Those are all cancellations.

However, additions to the list of new airbus routes include some QX routes:
Seattle – Billingseff 21MAY20 1 daily A319
Seattle – Bozemaneff 21MAY20 2 daily A319/320
Seattle – Missoulaeff 21MAY20 2 daily A319

again credit to routesonline .com // airlineroute .net

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.