Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Even if their goal was purely to add north/south flights from California, the acquisition of VX still got them gates at SFO and LAX, and stopped B6 from being a serious competitor in this particular market.

I know this thread is mostly about cuts, but the flip side of the equation (what's getting added with the newly created capacity) definitely seems to be a beefing up of north/south flights. For instance, SFO-LAX is going from 9x daily in 2019 to 14x by September 2020.

Thanks!

If you include last years cuts, then you also lost LAX-MCO, LAX-HAV (understandable), SAN-MEX, LAX-CUN, LAX-PHL> LAX-BOS is just once a day. So it's not just LAX-FLL.

They stopped B6 from being a competitor by running away from the transcon routes. Jet Blue is just getting stronger with transcons, prices for Mint LAX-FLL seem higher than ever (over $2k round trip even booking all the way out).

Last edited by beachfan; Dec 30, 2019 at 9:36 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The frequency increase from SFO-SAN is also due to a complete switchover from mainline to E175 as well. Guess this means all the intra-California are in for a gradual switch away from mainline.
To be successful in the intra state market is all about frequency. Maybe they are actually trying to be successful here!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by david22
Hah, no time for lounges anyway.

The rebooked itinerary has me on the earliest AS SFO -> SEA flight @ 6am. But it still only leaves a 46 minute connection to their once-a-day SEA -> MSY flight. I don't like my odds of ending up stuck in SEA for a day.

If I'm taking a connection I might as well rebook on Delta. It was several hundred dollars cheaper than if I just let AS keep what I paid for the non-stop. The SFO SkyClub is quite nice, and I can try the new MSY SkyClub.

In the past 6 months I've made 5 bookings on AS. 3 of 5 have been canceled due to significant schedule changes. I used to be a big fan but now I think I'm done with them for a while.

Too many times I'm left high and dry because they've changed their mind. Even if I get a refund it doesn't necessarily make me whole. e.g. I booked a ticket back from OGG for the busy EoY holiday season in Hawaii. I book very early to get the time, cabin, etc. I want. OAK and SFO are equidistant from me so I'll take the better time. They usually have one that lands 12:30am and one that lands like 9:30-10pm, and I don't like getting in late. The OAK flight landed a few hours earlier than SFO so I book that. Then they change the schedules so they were reversed and SFO is much earlier and OAK is the late one. I had them swap me to the other flight. Then they reversed the schedules again and I swapped again. Then it happened a third time and I swapped again. Then it happened to fourth time and there was no availability in the F cabin left to switch. So I canceled and rebooked on Hawaiian at an increased price to get the time I wanted. Why change the schedules so many times??
The SFO/OAK - HNL time changes are driving me batty. Either airport works for me pretty well (except for commute day/hour SFO departures). If at any point they become unworkable or no longer exist, I will probably lose any status.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lensovet
It was mentioned earlier, sounds like Occam’s razor to me
- they are getting squeezed for planes due to the MAX debacle
- as VX planes come off lease they are returning them to lessor

So they have to make cuts in the network where the planes are not super full and redirecting them to routes where they are hurting for capacity).....
My "complaint" (wow, the swear word filter is a little picky, isn't it) is that while this would make sense, almost all of the route cuts from SAN have been E75 routes. SAN-DAL, SAN-SLC, etc. So unless they are back-filling previous A319 routes with E75s, there is more going on.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
To be successful in the intra state market is all about frequency. Maybe they are actually trying to be successful here!
That would make some sense though things like LAX-LAS are down to 2 flights and SFO-LAS is down to 2 mainline and 2 E175s so all in all it is still quite a big drop of capacity both instrastate and from CA to LAS. Seems to be more on the continuing theme of shifting mainline capacity back to the PNW.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
My "complaint" (wow, the swear word filter is a little picky, isn't it) is that while this would make sense, almost all of the route cuts from SAN have been E75 routes. SAN-DAL, SAN-SLC, etc. So unless they are back-filling previous A319 routes with E75s, there is more going on.
As sfozrhfco pointed out, looks like that’s exactly what happened and most/all CA routes have switched from mainline to regional aircraft (and mainline aircraft redirected to PNW).

who knows, it’s possible that to convince themselves to abandon the MAX order they want to build up some additional profit with higher load factors and see that the MAX is truly irredeemable before committing themselves to the neo order.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA1K
i am one of the few people that route via SEA on AS. my options out of SNA are rather limited, and i think mileage plan is a really good FF program. i've only been screwed spending the night in SEA once this past year. we'll see how next year goes. the downsizing at LAX is a bummer but i will live with it.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by haddon90
i am one of the few people that route via SEA on AS. my options out of SNA are rather limited, and i think mileage plan is a really good FF program. i've only been screwed spending the night in SEA once this past year. we'll see how next year goes. the downsizing at LAX is a bummer but i will live with it.
Oh, as a SAN based guy it's becoming my reality. Connecting thru SEA isn't bad now that the N Lounge is open. I would rather spend an extra hour so flying thru SEA than deal with the crazy IRROPS that plague SFO, and the only way to get to LAX is through dwindling numbers of American Eagle codeshares.

The number of direct out of California flights from SAN is slowly being culled from the network. Thankfully SAN-MCO is still alive and seems to be packed all the time so I hope it remains... it would be nice if they started using a Neo on that route. Since my top three destinations are MCO, FLL, and DAL I can visit the office in MCO then drive down the turnpike to FLL, then fly FLL-LAX-SAN. Dallas is a lost cause, it's now another SEA connection.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by lensovet
As sfozrhfco pointed out, looks like that’s exactly what happened and most/all CA routes have switched from mainline to regional aircraft (and mainline aircraft redirected to PNW).

who knows, it’s possible that to convince themselves to abandon the MAX order they want to build up some additional profit with higher load factors and see that the MAX is truly irredeemable before committing themselves to the neo order.
I think people read too much into network changes. There is no ulterior motive. It’s about profit first: the biggest planes go where there’s the most money to be made. Gate allocations are based on usage, so you’ll see more ERJs in cities where AS is trying to protect or gain real estate (e.g. SEA and LAX). To some extent, operations also play into how different mainline aircraft are allocated around the system.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:27 pm

Well, I'd say there was nothing more to cut from BLI, but they've actually gone from 5 to 4 flights a day to SEA.

Over the last 2 years we've lost:
PDX
LAS
HNL
OGG
KOA
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:07 pm

Something particularly annoying - though I somewhat recognize the business reason (though I'm not sure why the business reason didn't exist years before) is the move of many ex-SFO flights to Hawaii and Mexico to daytime-only flight times.

Who wants to get on a daytime flight without WiFi to Cabo for a weekender? Wish long weekends in Hawaii were more feasible.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOSdubair
Something particularly annoying - though I somewhat recognize the business reason (though I'm not sure why the business reason didn't exist years before) is the move of many ex-SFO flights to Hawaii and Mexico to daytime-only flight times.

Who wants to get on a daytime flight without WiFi to Cabo for a weekender? Wish long weekends in Hawaii were more feasible.
Yeah I find AS to be useless for SFO - Hawaii flights due to the timing. I want to fly out early in the morning so I can enjoy the afternoon in Hawaii. I'm usually going to OGG... so I either fly out of OAK (which has a 7am flight) or fly UA (which has 4 flights / day)

The flight back is hit or miss. I prefer a red-eye, but AS doesn't always have those. I'm usually willing to settle for an evening flight. What I'm not willing to do is fly out at 1 or 2pm and waste a whole day. Once I spend the night in Hawaii I want to be at the pool or beach for that next day. Once the sun goes down I'm happy to go sit on the plane. Again, UA is always a good backup plan. If UA is flying the 752 (which periodically disappears and reappears from that route) I'll spring for F (lie-flat) and get 4hr of sleep on the red-eye back. If not, I'll prefer AS if the times are reasonable.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
...right now if you are a transcontinental business traveler from SFO, the product on AS is like traveling in a Chevy when you could be traveling in a Mercedes on AA/DL/B6/UA.
Ding, ding, ding!! Jammed in a crummy 737 domestic F seat versus a lie flat with vastly superior soft product in the air and on the ground and multiple flights daily. Hmmm, what should I choose?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Ding, ding, ding!! Jammed in a crummy 737 domestic F seat versus a lie flat with vastly superior soft product in the air and on the ground and multiple flights daily. Hmmm, what should I choose?
The flight that best works for you!

James
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Which is great if your company doesn't have an economy only policy. The seats in the back are the same. And if they don't have an economy only policy, there's some fat to be cut.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.