Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
Alaska has disallowed new bookings or changes to bookings to intra-Asia award tickets less than 72 hours before departure on Cathay Pacific (CX), Japan Airlines (JL), and Hainan Airlines (HU) due to fraudulent bookings.

Initially (late January 2018 for HU; February 13, 2018 or so for CX and JL), this prohibition applied to all award bookings on these partners. On February 14, 2018, Alaska changed the rule to apply only to intra-Asia awards.

https://blog.wandr.me/2018/02/alaska...t-mileageplan/
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...artner-awards/
Print Wikipost

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jinglish
FI isn't Finnair.
Doh! Thank you for catching what I spaced over.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by seawolf
For example, AA would allocate unsold premium seats to gate-processed upgrades rather than make it available for an award.
Anecdotally false.

Today, AA F and J are both available LAX-HKG departing at 11:55 tonight. Tomorrow and Friday both have J available. LAX/DFW-NRT basically the same story.

I've booked quite a few AA F domestic tickets on the day of the flight using AS miles and I don't expect INTL to behave all that differently based on my limited searching today and in previous trips I was considering making on short notice.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Anecdotally false.

Today, AA F and J are both available LAX-HKG departing at 11:55 tonight. Tomorrow and Friday both have J available. LAX/DFW-NRT basically the same story.

I've booked quite a few AA F domestic tickets on the day of the flight using AS miles and I don't expect INTL to behave all that differently based on my limited searching today and in previous trips I was considering making on short notice.
You would always be able to find examples contrary but last minute F/J awards on AA have been harder to find than CX F/J.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by seawolf

You would always be able to find examples contrary but last minute F/J awards on AA have been harder to find than CX F/J.
I was having good lock with a ton of space last minute to South America. I checked again today and a lot of it disappeared.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:17 pm

Hi Pinniped -

i usually don't have my date range set until 1-2 months out. By then I can usually only reserve Premium Economy. I usually go ahead and book it, knowing that I might have to change things a day or two here or there to get a TPAC in J or F. Now, that option won't be available to me ....
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Why not limit last minute changes or bookings to customers with status, or customers who have flown AS at least once in the past 6-12 months?

I get there are bad guys out there. But there are ways to put hoops in there without impacting everybody.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
This is horrible, horrible news, and yet another devaluation for the Alaska Mileage program.

It has been a frustrating couple of years with the AS program. First the huge increase in EK F and J redemption. Then the false display of award inventory on EK. Then the loss of AA and DL for earning. And now the loss of the majority of CX F and many J awards, as they often only are available last minute.

If they are available only over the phone anyhow, why couldn't they maybe just limit to bookings in the same name as the account holder. That would have been a simple solution. It would stop mileage brokers. It would stop mileage theft, and would probably not upset all that many members.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by smilee
If they are available only over the phone anyhow, why couldn't they maybe just limit to bookings in the same name as the account holder. That would have been a simple solution. It would stop mileage brokers. It would stop mileage theft, and would probably not upset all that many members.
Because I, and many others, believe that fraud isn't the real motivation behind this change; if so, they wouldn't limit it to just a few partners.

My guess is that CX and JL redemptions cost AS the most amount of cash, combined with the fact that most of the CX and JL premium cabin redemptions only become available within a few days of departure, this limitation allows AS to keep their generous charts but really clamp down on the number of bookings that they allow.

Unfortunately for AS, their members are smarter than that and realize when they are being lied to. In my opinion, without an alliance, AS needs to tread lightly in how it treats it's most loyal customers.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:18 pm

Hi -

I can't believe I am saying this - I just signed up for a platinum challenge at DL.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Could be true since it Asian carriers that are limited. I know back in my UA days Air China was bad reservations would be randomly cancelled so that brokers could grab the space when it went back into inventory.

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:24 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
So. much. conspiracy theory.

This is in fact a fraud issue, and a big enough one that they took fairly quick and some would say drastic measures.

There are changes coming to try and minimize this impact to our legitimate and loyal guests, so stay tuned.

No secret motivations here. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:42 pm

Hi missydarlin -

It is not about conspiracy theory. it is about transparency.

When any company makes a major change that affects their customer base (and this would certainly qualify), You need to get out in front of the issue. You have some bad news affecting MP members, you need to tell it all, tell it fast, be blindingly transparent. I would have thought the AS corporate office would have learned this with the QX pilot staffing fiasco. By not being open and transparent about the operational issues, the conspiracy theories were allowed to flourish, I suspect to the detriment of the airline in all sorts of ways.

The reality is that conspiracy theories, office politics, cliques, haves vs have nots -- they all get a chance to flourish when transparency is lacking.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I have a bit of insight into another airline program. I can say that international premium rewards are a disproportionately large percentage of fraud. Two common examples: Reward sales by both brokers and individuals, and manipulation of premium revenue inventory by reward seekers.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Feb 14, 2018 at 5:55 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
I am heartened by missydarlin's post and hold out hope that Alaska, is, indeed, just using this as a temporary measure. I really feel for folks who have flights coming up in the near future, especially those in Y/J planning to swap to F when it pops open as one does when booking these airlines...

At least with EK, they didn't make it impossible, just expensive. The difference might be semantics to some, but is meaningful.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't it be better to combat the fraud rather than just remove the service for everyone?

Here are some ideas:

1. Implement 2-factor authentication on accounts. This can be done through SMS codes or an authenticator phone app. Don't allow users who don't turn on 2FA to make close-in bookings. That should prevent people hacking accounts to make close-in bookings directly.
2. Implement a waiting period before transferred miles can be spent (put newly-transferred miles in a "pending" state). Waive it when the recipient of the transfer is a long-time customer with a history of earning and redeeming miles, and has the afore-mentioned 2FA turned on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.