FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1893775-limiting-award-bookings-t-3-days-departure-intra-asia-only-cx-jl-hu.html)

CDKing Feb 13, 2018 1:49 pm

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

I know this is mentioned in the CX thread but since it applies to multiple partners, i believe it deserves its own thread.

https://blog.wandr.me/2018/02/alaska...t-mileageplan/

AS points can no longer be used on CX, HU or JL awards within 3 days of departure.

MasterGeek Feb 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Alaska Airlines Eliminates Close-in Redemptions on Cathay Pacific and JAL

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...y-pacific-jal/

Is this true ? What can we do make them revert this new policy should we massively write to Alaska executives to ask that they come up with a more intelligent solution ?

invalyd Feb 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Misleading title, it only affects CX and JL.

Madone59 Feb 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Doesn't this impact HU bookings too??

Good luck getting JL and CX F now everyone one - it just got a lot tougher out there.

Erasmus Feb 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Wow, *really* disappointed in AS on this one. As anyone who has booked CX knows, that's when all the action is. Why not just jack up the price like they did with EK? (They are undervalued after all, at least in J.). Not sure I understand the incentives here, as clearly CX thinks the seats are worth less at that point...

pbd456 Feb 13, 2018 2:26 pm

they should exempt it for elites.

eponymous_coward Feb 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 29412564)
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...y-pacific-jal/

Is this true ? What can we do make them revert this new policy should we massively write to Alaska executives to ask that they come up with a more intelligent solution ?

Sure. Remove SPG (and I guess Diner's Club) as a transfer partner. Boom, fraud from people dumping shedloads of SPG into AS accounts to do fraudulent ticketing by reselling award tickets goes away. Forever. You get to accrue on AS by flying the airline and using the BofA or Canadian credit card (which presumably isn't going to have a bunch of Chinese fraudsters selling tickets since BofA has Know Your Customer regulations to follow, and I'd imagine the same is tru on the Canadian side).

What, you didn't like that more intelligent solution?

CDKing Feb 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd (Post 29412633)
Misleading title, it only affects CX and JL.

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 29412679)
Doesn't this impact HU bookings too??

Good luck getting JL and CX F now everyone one - it just got a lot tougher out there.

HU looks to be included too even though AS tweet denies. Look at PEK-SZX and PEK-PVG. no awards prior to the 16th even every day after has space as well.

MasterGeek Feb 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29412707)
Sure. Remove SPG (and I guess Diner's Club) as a transfer partner. Boom, fraud from people dumping shedloads of SPG into AS accounts to do fraudulent ticketing by reselling award tickets goes away. Forever. You get to accrue on AS by flying the airline and using the BofA or Canadian credit card (which presumably isn't going to have a bunch of Chinese fraudsters selling tickets since BofA has Know Your Customer regulations to follow, and I'd imagine the same is tru on the Canadian side).

Originally Posted by Erasmus (Post 29412746)
I'm all for it. Seems to me that the bulk of the fraud comes from selling miles, transferring from places where they can be bought, etc., etc. Why not remediate those issues, rather than penalizing those of us that earn the miles from putting our butts in seats the old fashioned way...

​​​​​​​
No, SPG to Alaska transfers are used by many legitimate members.

I believe most of the fraud comes from hacked Alaska accounts due to phishing or fraudsters using stolen credit cards to buy Alaska miles

Erasmus Feb 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29412707)

I'm all for it. Seems to me that the bulk of the fraud comes from selling miles, transferring from places where they can be bought, etc., etc. Why not remediate those issues, rather than penalizing those of us that earn the miles from putting our butts in seats the old fashioned way...

eponymous_coward Feb 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 29412736)
No, SPG to Alaska transfers are used by many legitimate members.

Sure. And legitimate members make CX/JL/HU award changes/redemptions within 72 hours too.

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 29412736)
​​​​​​​I believe most of the fraud comes from hacked Alaska accounts due to phishing or fraudsters using stolen credit cards to buy Alaska miles

And what are you basing your belief on?

MasterGeek Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29412810)
Sure. And legitimate members make CX/JL/HU award changes/redemptions within 72 hours too.

And what are you basing your belief on?

Those are the only cases where a Alaska or its members may stand to loose money. Alaska and its members don't lose money from the resale or consensual transfer of miles, because those miles were legitimately acquired.

eponymous_coward Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 29412861)
Those are the only cases where a Alaska or its members may stand to loose money. Alaska and its members don't lose money from the resale or consensual transfer of miles, because those miles were legitimately acquired.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...and-conditions

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles, award tickets, upgrade certificates, and companion certificates may not be sold, purchased or bartered except as permitted on Points.com.

Attempts to purchase, sell or barter these products or benefits shall be considered an act of fraud against Alaska Airlines.
In what universe is a transaction that violates a contract (and is specifically prohibited in that contract) "legitimately acquired"?

TA Feb 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Why don't they allow it where you would put down / deduct your miles in advance (to show you're a legit owner of the account) but allow those then to be used for booking last minute as normal? Or, as someone else asked, will they waive charges for last minute up-faring to J/F if booked in Y in advance?

This is terrible, it takes a lot of attractiveness out of AS miles as I was planning to use a lot of AS miles for just this purpose.

eponymous_coward Feb 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by TA (Post 29412885)
This is terrible, it takes a lot of attractiveness out of AS miles as I was planning to use a lot of AS miles for just this purpose.

Place not your faith in princes or in fiat pseudo-currencies that you don't even own.

Awards or accrued Miles, including purchased Miles, do not constitute the property of the member to whose Mileage Plan account the Miles have been posted. However, awards or accrued Miles do provide the member with an option to exchange such Miles for travel at the redemption level in effect at the time of redemption (not at the time of accrual).