Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
Alaska has disallowed new bookings or changes to bookings to intra-Asia award tickets less than 72 hours before departure on Cathay Pacific (CX), Japan Airlines (JL), and Hainan Airlines (HU) due to fraudulent bookings.

Initially (late January 2018 for HU; February 13, 2018 or so for CX and JL), this prohibition applied to all award bookings on these partners. On February 14, 2018, Alaska changed the rule to apply only to intra-Asia awards.

https://blog.wandr.me/2018/02/alaska...t-mileageplan/
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...artner-awards/
Print Wikipost

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
*If* Alaska's statement is true (and this isn't simply a cover to prevent AS from ever having to redeem CX F, since T-72 is where all of that action is), then hopefully it's a stopgap measure and AS will implement security that makes it much more difficult (or impossible) for the scenario the airline is using as justification from ever happening.

There are legitimate reasons I've redeemed my miles for another person the day prior to travel - I've done that probably 10 times over the years across many airlines for my wife or other family member - so I hope the permanent measure isn't that extreme. But in this case, I'd accept it as better than the outright ban on booking the awards.

The "Person B steals from Person A" suggests that it's too damn easy to hack into an Alaska account. Perhaps they should start there...
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Person B still has to produce travel documents for purchasing a ticket and then again at check in. And Person B is physically in a known location (that booked airline ticket) and can be apprehended either at departure or landing if AS (and to a lesser extent, the account holder) was cognizant of the fraud and wanted to get on top of it rather than use it as an excuse for a desired policy change.

Meanwhile AS is hawking another miles promo and I'm sure their annual/quarterly reports will continue to highlight the success of Mileage Plan.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
AS could just deny boarding if they suspect a violation of their award terms - perhaps with some defined path to establishing that the traveler hasn't. Regardless of whether you perceive buying/selling FF miles as fraud (we have long FT threads for that discussion), it's not a criminal thing that the police are going to "apprehend" anyone for.
lalala likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by golfingboy
The best solution is implementing a two-step authentication process for bookings made under 72 hours (security question and sending a code via text/email or a verification call).
Even SMS is vulnerable--attackers have managed to get users' phone numbers transfered to new SIM cards to get into 2FA-protected accounts. But I agree that AS needs to adopt 2FA for accounts, period.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by pinniped
AS could just deny boarding if they suspect a violation of their award terms - perhaps with some defined path to establishing that the traveler hasn't. Regardless of whether you perceive buying/selling FF miles as fraud (we have long FT threads for that discussion), it's not a criminal thing that the police are going to "apprehend" anyone for.
If the purchase of Person B's ticket is with Person A's miles without Person A's permission (which is what AS seems to be saying) then that is a crime, not merely a T&C violation.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Just want to point out the solution some have proposed by having a waiver for Golds and 75Ks will not work. This issue is due to fraud (hacking and stealing miles or acting as an imposter to transfer points and make bookings).

A Gold or 75K’s account is as vulnerable as any member’s account. I am a gold with Marriott and I had fraudulent activity in my account a few years ago where someone made an award booking in my account but fortunately because Marriott emailed me to confirm whether I made that reservation I was able to block the transaction in matter of hours. It can happen to customers like me, uber super HVC or someone who only has an activity once every 24 months.

The best solution is implementing a two-step authentication process for bookings made under 72 hours (security question and sending a code via text/email or a verification call).
American does this as does Hyatt. They will email you immediately (okay within a few hours) that there has been account activity and asks for verification. I like that.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by EbonyTatas
Fudge I'm out.
But think of all those R fares, well as long as they last. Are you normally booking within 3 days, I couldn't remember was HU one that waited until last minute to release award space?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
If the purchase of Person B's ticket is with Person A's miles without Person A's permission (which is what AS seems to be saying) then that is a crime, not merely a T&C violation.
Fair enough, but when airlines suspect a traveler for violating a ticketing rule (whether paid or award), they typically deny boarding. In this case, the person physically at the airport likely isn't the kingpin of a hacking organization - it's someone who bought a cheap ticket from an unknown online source. The ramification for that person is that they're SOL and not getting on the plane, but it's not likely that they're the ones being charged with a crime. That person will likely feel that he/she is the victim of a crime, and may not have any idea about the fine print inside of FFPs - or even that their ticket originated from Alaska's FFP.

We (Flyertalkers) know about these rules and also know it's freaking crazy to buy a cheap ticket online from an unknown source, but apparently people do it.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
this is ridiculous. passing this off as fraud protection is even more preposterous.

overall the value proposition for AS has taken a dramatic nosedive. several partners have been lost, others simply don't work as advertised (AM, EK) and now this.

i really need to burn down this pile, stat, and move on.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:01 am

Thank you.

I spoke to an agent last night before making some changes. The same was given by her - Fraud Protection.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
This just made AA miles a lot more valuable for close in CX awards even with the inflated prices....
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
If those who are threatening to leave AS MP over this actually follow through, then I love this change. Weed out those who are just using the plan to buy or transfer in miles just to book CX F. Sure, it will affect some actual AS flyers as well, but for the most part, if it gets rid of those who just see it as a cheap currency to buy a premium award and have never sat their butts on an AS plane, bring it on.
gobeavs8 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:36 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Finkface
If those who are threatening to leave AS MP over this actually follow through, then I love this change. Weed out those who are just using the plan to buy or transfer in miles just to book CX F. Sure, it will affect some actual AS flyers as well, but for the most part, if it gets rid of those who just see it as a cheap currency to buy a premium award and have never sat their butts on an AS plane, bring it on.
So, in your estimation, do you think the problem of people buying miles to book in CX F is greater in numbers than the legitimate AS FFs who want to book in CX F and usually find that availability opens up in the last few days before departure? How many people would you say fall into the 2 categories?

And by fixing this problem in this way, are you suggesting that award travel is going to open up for you the rest of the year in advance?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
The changes are not going to end well for AS long term. One of AS few valuable differentiating factors is MP. Just in the 4 years since I joined MP and legitimately earned all of miles, the following negative changes have occurred (plus more that i probably don't remember):
  • The changes referred to in this thread (and i'm sorry but the "fraud" thing is nothing but a front...and a terrible one at that)
  • Rampant phantom award availability not just for EK but also QF, AA and others
  • Loss of DL, KL, and AF as partners
  • Severe curtailing of AA partnership
  • Substantial hikes in EK award redemption cost
Add to this that AM awards don't work at all, CX and LA can only be booked by phone and finding availability with other tools is a nightmare, and oh yeah AS saver level award availability doesn't exist for all intents and purposes (and waitlists don't clear but they'll sell you a $50 F seat at the gate)...and you have developed the potential for having a fairly frustrated base of customers. But hey, at least we have Condor and FI now.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

As it stands at the moment, an actual hardcore MP flyer who earned a gazillion BIS miles on AS would still be left unable to redeem CX 72 hours after all the mileage arbitragers leave. How's that a good thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.