Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
Alaska has disallowed new bookings or changes to bookings to intra-Asia award tickets less than 72 hours before departure on Cathay Pacific (CX), Japan Airlines (JL), and Hainan Airlines (HU) due to fraudulent bookings.

Initially (late January 2018 for HU; February 13, 2018 or so for CX and JL), this prohibition applied to all award bookings on these partners. On February 14, 2018, Alaska changed the rule to apply only to intra-Asia awards.

https://blog.wandr.me/2018/02/alaska...t-mileageplan/
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...artner-awards/
Print Wikipost

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:30 pm

doesn't JL pull award inventory 3days before flight anyways for it's own progra)?

Last edited by paperwastage; Feb 13, 2018 at 5:37 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by TA
What are you talking about? One of the key stated (and aspirational) benefits of the program is for legitimate Alaska members to redeem miles for premium cabin travel on partners. If they are now withdrawing the ability for members to do that (because certain inventory only practically becomes available close-in), how is that mostly affecting your "undesireable" members overseas?
Never said it was ‘mostly affecting’ anyone. I said that the posters in this thread that were the most upset about these changes seemed to be those (and I am presuming here, by location) who don’t even fly AS and only use the program as a means to redeem for desirable premium cabin awards using bought or transferred in miles. And that I wished AS would have the mechanism to stop this. Nothing to do with who is affected but more that those complaining the loudest are those that likely have never even sat in an AS seat. Within the rules - sure. But it shouldn’t be, IMO.

Originally Posted by Finkface
I may be making a very incorrect assumption here, but most of the posters that are the most upset about this are located in areas that are not even AS markets, or even in North America. If one isn’t even flying AS and merely using them as a means to buy/transfer/credit miles solely to use on premium cabin redemptions, how are they valuable customers to AS? I, for one, wish there was some way to stop his kind of thing.

And before you jump down my throat saying you are using the program within the rules, I get it. I just wish AS didn’t make it so easy for someone on the other side of the world who has never flown, and has no intention to ever fly AS, to open an account, buy or transfer in a bunch of miles and book CX F. Either for themselves or to sell. JMHO.
lalala and milypan like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CDKing
HU looks to be included too even though AS tweet denies. Look at PEK-SZX and PEK-PVG. no awards prior to the 16th even every day after has space as well.
Please beware that Chinese New Year is on 16th February, HU may want to keep the inventory for the last minute traveler for PEK-SZX and PEK-PVG.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ktllo
Please beware that Chinese New Year is on 16th February, HU may want to keep the inventory for the last minute traveler for PEK-SZX and PEK-PVG.
It could be a coincidence by Missy who works for AS confirmed HU is included and went live earlier than JL/CX
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
How to contact AS execs about this issue ? Does their email format follow the [email protected] style ?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
This is super disappointing
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:11 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Possibly a short term stop gap action. I do hope AS will seriously consider and implement a more sophiscated process for bookings made under T-72 and remove this restriction.
missydarlin likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by lalala
I don't redeem on any of those carriers, but if they do this on AA or BA, I'm going to be really pissed. My guess is that many get comped to 75K or Gold from other carriers, transfer a crap ton of points from SPG or buy a ton because they can and make it crappy for the rest of us. Alaska should require a few things --- a. four flown segments on Alaska metal to keep status for the following year, like AA used to do b. require a close in booking fee for some of these elusive awards (even I would go for that) c. stop making everyone and their mothers 75K and Golds because they think they'll jump ship

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm okay with that.
This is exactly what I thought when I heard about this change. There are many other measures that could be taken to combat fraud if that truly was the objective. What's really going on here is bloggers/MSers/brokers touting/taking advantage of AS' low redemption requirements and/or high earn for partners. Simple solution: Exempt Gold/75K who've flown 4/6/12/whatev AS segments/year!
lalala likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I have told them to expel people who misuse systemnfrom mileage program . They say many people complained so maybe they readjust the policy. I would at least exempt mvpg gold and mvpg 75k golds
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by felicidad76
I have told them to expel people who misuse systemnfrom mileage program . They say many people complained so maybe they readjust the policy. I would at least exempt mvpg gold and mvpg 75k golds
They make everyone and their nanny elites, so there has got to be a better qualifier.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:08 pm

To reprise an old saying: chip, chip, chip. Reversion to the mean is inevitable.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
I know this is mentioned in the CX thread but since it applies to multiple partners, i believe it deserves its own thread.

https://blog.wandr.me/2018/02/alaska...t-mileageplan/

AS points can no longer be used on CX, HU or JL awards within 3 days of departure.
Geez, that's a very sudden change. I would have to look closely and decide soon if I see something available instead of waiting until T-72 then.

Bad move, but can anyone please point me to a legitimate source of why AS did it? Bloggers claimed it's fraud protection, while the tone in this thread seemed to be speculation instead of really making a claim.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:55 am
wkc

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Bad move, but can anyone please point me to a legitimate source of why AS did it? Bloggers claimed it's fraud protection, while the tone in this thread seemed to be speculation instead of really making a claim.

Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:56 am

Freaking ridiculous.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:37 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Just want to point out the solution some have proposed by having a waiver for Golds and 75Ks will not work. This issue is due to fraud (hacking and stealing miles or acting as an imposter to transfer points and make bookings).

A Gold or 75K’s account is as vulnerable as any member’s account. I am a gold with Marriott and I had fraudulent activity in my account a few years ago where someone made an award booking in my account but fortunately because Marriott emailed me to confirm whether I made that reservation I was able to block the transaction in matter of hours. It can happen to customers like me, uber super HVC or someone who only has an activity once every 24 months.

The best solution is implementing a two-step authentication process for bookings made under 72 hours (security question and sending a code via text/email or a verification call).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.