Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Justification for Mileage Runs for Gold 75K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Justification for Mileage Runs for Gold 75K

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

I could not do the red-eye turn -- Hate 'em.

That said, I booked 7RTs PDX-EWR turns. While not double miles, they ARE same-day daylight turns. Leave PDX at 630, arrive back 715PM. My usual annual MVPG travel gets bumped up to 75K.

Bennies? The miles, the transcon UGs, the day passes to the Alaska Lounge. And even if you don't live in the PNW, the miles can be used in a variety of places.

Finally, look at the incremental cost -- 7RT transcons at $191 each, $1337 total. Without it, I get 80K miles from MVPG travel. With it, I get 90K from that same 40K BIS miles (so 10,000 more -- I did the same thing last year). Add in about 80,000 total RDM from the runs. Add in 50,000 bonus. Add in 4,000 from incremental cc spend. Add in 4 more GGUs. Add in Lounge passes. So, 140,000+ miles for $1337, or less than $.01/mile.

And, I should add, AS wins also. They got $1337 in incremental $$ from mw at a time when the all of the flights were 1/2 empty or more (though 1st was full!). And the topper was the 1-day flash sale, as the OP noted.
The problem with this analysis is that it values your time as worthless. Obviously everyone is going to have a different money / time scale factor, but 0 is probably not the right answer for anyone. 7 RT transcons is about two work weeks of hours.

I wish they would just sell me status for money so I didn't have to sit through the flights...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bderemer

I知 in school full-time, so I asked my professors if it would be alright to do video conference into classes while I知 on the ground, and if I could stay connected in chat forums while in the air. I知 pretty much just writing papers and doing a bunch of research for a few different projects. So if anything, it痴 actually keeping me more focused to get more on top of school work rather than being distracted going out and about at home. I also brought a small blow up backpacking pad to sleep on if I get too tired in between flights and want to just lay down.

- Ben
I don't know how you do I brought all my books on my vacation run to SAN, didn't work on a single assignment.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:21 pm

Hi -

I agree about the time value.

I take the time in the plane to get caught up on memos (both in and out); editing presentations; and reading financial news and reports. Stuff that I would do behind a desk. And, i take one day a week, not every day (Saturdays are especially good for this). In short, I can get done a lot of non time sensitive "B" tasks accomplished.

Being able to do this in a (relatively) quiet environment is actually quite nice - no phones, no people interrupting. Yes, I admit if there is a screaming baby that detracts from the ambience.
DaveH likes this.

Last edited by Orwaid; Feb 3, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that the main point here (echoing what other have said) is that there's no need to justify it. Although, maybe there are some benefits to having your friends and family not think that you're nuts

If you really (1) don't mind the amount of space available and (2) can make good use of the time (thus negating the time cost) then you are left with just the monetary cost, and I think it's a GREAT deal.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that the main point here (echoing what other have said) is that there's no need to justify it.
Exactly. There are other people who use that MR time to spend money on playing golf. I personally consider that equally wasteful use of time
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I think that the main point here (echoing what other have said) is that there's no need to justify it.
Exactly. There are other people who use that MR time to spend money on playing golf. And they probably don't ask anyone for their opinion. I personally consider that equally wasteful use of time
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
The problem with this analysis is that it values your time as worthless. Obviously everyone is going to have a different money / time scale factor, but 0 is probably not the right answer for anyone. 7 RT transcons is about two work weeks of hours.

I wish they would just sell me status for money so I didn't have to sit through the flights...
He said he was in grad school! I believe grad students are paid less than most factory workers in Bangladesh... He's using his time on the planes to get stuff done. Why didn't I do this in grad school!? Kudos for a great combo of work and hobby - do what you love, love what you do.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
actually, i would do it if i have time, but i would not use 10k miles for 100 USD off. i think the community agrees that the AS miles worth more than 1c.

i typically redeem with CX J to Asia, 50k miles each way.

i can only fit 5 into my schedule. 240 each, for a total of 80k miles and 25k eqm for 75k status.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrAlex

He said he was in grad school! I believe grad students are paid less than most factory workers in Bangladesh... He's using his time on the planes to get stuff done. Why didn't I do this in grad school!? Kudos for a great combo of work and hobby - do what you love, love what you do.
I didn稚 do that in grad school because I was paid less than most factory workers in Bangladesh and didn稚 have money to fly around the country - MR or otherwise, so earning status was not exactly a priority for my grad school life.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Kicking back at 40,000 feet and watching the world fly by ^
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I didn稚 do that in grad school because I was paid less than most factory workers in Bangladesh and didn稚 have money to fly around the country - MR or otherwise, so earning status was not exactly a priority for my grad school life.
What's another $1337 on top of the school loans - just pennies!?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:19 am

Hi -

The $1337 was my true cost for 7 same-day PDX-EWR RTs. The grad student OP used miles-for-money to lower his out of pocket cost. As others have mentioned, I preferred to use the miles for other purposes.

I look at it this way: $1337 + 80 hours of my time allows me to maintain 75K through 2019 vs being MVPG. The extra 140,000 miles, the near 100% transcon upgrades off of R/T fares (vs 25-50% as a MVPG) the 4 extra GGUs and the Lounge passes makes it worth it for me. Obviously, YMMV.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
I'm on my 4th run right now flying back from JFK- PDX. I'm done explaining these runs as well. No need to justify anything.

I took a skeptical coworker of mine to sfo for a quick day trip. She loved the upgrades and access to the lounges. Now she is all about it!!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

I知 just now wrapping up graduate school and will hopefully be looking for a job that requires lots of travel (as I know this is something I値l be able to do while younger, but will probably play too much of a toll on my body while older). So I知 kind of hoping this will pan out in the future with maintaining status, and I may be able to use the status as a negotiating/bargaining chip with an employer (especially wth no fee flight changes and refunds for non-refundable flights for Alaska credit).

- Ben
​​​​​​If your potential employer cares about some flight change fees, then you need to keep looking.

Also, work travels are really exhausting. I am based out of the east coast, and have been to the west coast four times already this year. Not fun at all.
milypan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

I知 just now wrapping up graduate school and will hopefully be looking for a job that requires lots of travel (as I know this is something I値l be able to do while younger, but will probably play too much of a toll on my body while older). So I知 kind of hoping this will pan out in the future with maintaining status, and I may be able to use the status as a negotiating/bargaining chip with an employer (especially wth no fee flight changes and refunds for non-refundable flights for Alaska credit).

- Ben
I might politely suggest that as you enter the workforce, your negotiating/bargaining chip tray will look like this, and even bringing it up may very well result in not receiving a callback, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.