Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Justification for Mileage Runs for Gold 75K

Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Air Miles

I decided on somewhat of a whim to bust out 15 or so mileage runs from January to February between PDX to JFK to hit Gold 75K for the first time (I was just Gold before). I thought about doing it last November when I was close to 75K, but figured it would be better to wait until this year so that I retain the status for about 22 months vs 13 months. My friends and family think it's ridiculous that I would even do that, let alone waste time and money to do it.

My justification to them for doing it was that I would get about 250,000 air miles earned for my account, that I would often be towards the top of the waitlist for first class upgrades for myself and a companion (and get automatic upgrades on Premium for all ticket class types), I can gift someone the MVP status, and I can do same day changes (which would allow me to buy the cheapest flight somewhere, and then change the flight to better times that would have cost at least twice as much or more otherwise, but I guess I already had that with Gold anyways).

Is there any reasoning you guys have used or maybe something I forgot that you would have told people for why you think it would be worth it to do mileage runs to get to Gold 75K, or is it truly not actually worth it in your opinion?

****As a side note, I purchased the tickets all at once with back to back flights during a flash sale and I used 10k miles to lower the price, so each ticket was around $112-$125 for each round trip flight. This was also during the time when flights between PDX and JFK received double miles, so instead of earning the 10k miles for a round trip flight I received 15k per round trip flight (hence about 250,000 earned).

I also have an Alaska lounge membership, so I can sit in there in Portland between flights. I thought I could do it at JFK as well with the Admirals Club, however, it is in a separate terminal so TSA will not let me go through the checkpoint and American Airlines says they no longer have an agreement with Alaska for the boardroom and will not issue a gate pass to go through the checkpoint.

I'd also say that I got a first class upgrade about 1/3 of time time, mainly because there seemed to be many more Gold 75K members who were higher on the waitlist than me for the upgrade.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Are you going to be able to maintain the status? I got myself sick trying to do it last year on VX routing mistake fares. somewhat worth the medical bills if i stay on AS metal since it makes the difference between upgrade or not, the bonus miles are nice though.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by bderemer
My friends and family think it's ridiculous that I would even do that, let alone waste time and money to do it
If/when your family and friends start traveling with you, my guess is that they will come to appreciate the fringe perks (your ability to upgrade a companion, better seat selection, early boarding, free bags, etc.) and hopefully whoever you're planning to gift MVP status to is cheering you on
tobikosan likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Are you going to be able to maintain the status? I got myself sick trying to do it last year on VX routing mistake fares. somewhat worth the medical bills if i stay on AS metal since it makes the difference between upgrade or not, the bonus miles are nice though.
Im just now wrapping up graduate school and will hopefully be looking for a job that requires lots of travel (as I know this is something Ill be able to do while younger, but will probably play too much of a toll on my body while older). So Im kind of hoping this will pan out in the future with maintaining status, and I may be able to use the status as a negotiating/bargaining chip with an employer (especially wth no fee flight changes and refunds for non-refundable flights for Alaska credit).

- Ben
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Your family and friends have their value systems, and you have yours. We all know which one counts. Don't allow others to project their values on you.

Know that you will have sympathetic eyes here on FT, where such behavior is highly prized. As in the original Iron Chef series, you have won the people's ovation and fame forever!
ssk244 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

Im just now wrapping up graduate school and will hopefully be looking for a job that requires lots of travel (as I know this is something Ill be able to do while younger, but will probably play too much of a toll on my body while older). So Im kind of hoping this will pan out in the future with maintaining status, and I may be able to use the status as a negotiating/bargaining chip with an employer (especially wth no fee flight changes and refunds for non-refundable flights for Alaska credit).

- Ben
I assume you intend to stay in the Portland area, or at least PNW, after finishing your degree? Otherwise youll find that the AS network is not very compelling in any other location. Even in CA it would be tough for most business travelers.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milypan

I assume you intend to stay in the Portland area, or at least PNW, after finishing your degree? Otherwise youll find that the AS network is not very compelling in any other location. Even in CA it would be tough for most business travelers.
The PNW would be where Im hoping to stay. Many of my friends say they hate the rain and atmosphere, but thats the one thing I love about living up here.
bbinchi likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i do it for 5 weekends for jfk pdx. i am on the 3rd one now on the jfk pdx. upgrade all clear so far. 16k miles per trip as 75k.

how much do u value as miles. if you are willing to use 10k miles for 100usd. so u value 1cpm. so it seems to make more sense to do thr run last year to hit 75k for 50k bonus miles.

i have po and i hit all 2 caspers for takeout food as well.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
My friends and family think it's ridiculous that I would even do that, let alone waste time and money to do it.

My justification to them for doing it was...
Why is it important to justify anything?

It's your money, it's your time. It's also your seat up in First Class while they're stuck back in steerage with all the others - many of whom also don't see the value of such pursuits.

You get thick skinned after awhile. If people ask, I give them the basics. However, no sooner has the first "But I just don't ... " passed their lips than the conversations is over. I've long since given up explaining the myriad benefits of doing what I have to do to attain status to people who often just don't want to understand. I just tell them "I'll see ya up in First Class. While you're passing through on your way to seat 31E!"
soonerfanatic likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I might have done a few MRs last year to go from 50 to 75k, but 15 transcons? No way. Time is too valuable (I have a full time job). I did some MRing during my UA days to retain 1K status, but even then I tried to actually not just do pure RTs, but rather do something at the destination (weekend in NY or Hawaii or Frankfurt).
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:09 pm

Hi -

I could not do the red-eye turn -- Hate 'em.

That said, I booked 7RTs PDX-EWR turns. While not double miles, they ARE same-day daylight turns. Leave PDX at 630, arrive back 715PM. My usual annual MVPG travel gets bumped up to 75K.

Bennies? The miles, the transcon UGs, the day passes to the Alaska Lounge. And even if you don't live in the PNW, the miles can be used in a variety of places.

Finally, look at the incremental cost -- 7RT transcons at $191 each, $1337 total. Without it, I get 80K miles from MVPG travel. With it, I get 90K from that same 40K BIS miles (so 10,000 more -- I did the same thing last year). Add in about 80,000 total RDM from the runs. Add in 50,000 bonus. Add in 4,000 from incremental cc spend. Add in 4 more GGUs. Add in Lounge passes. So, 140,000+ miles for $1337, or less than $.01/mile.

And, I should add, AS wins also. They got $1337 in incremental $$ from mw at a time when the all of the flights were 1/2 empty or more (though 1st was full!). And the topper was the 1-day flash sale, as the OP noted.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I might have done a few MRs last year to go from 50 to 75k, but 15 transcons? No way. Time is too valuable (I have a full time job). I did some MRing during my UA days to retain 1K status, but even then I tried to actually not just do pure RTs, but rather do something at the destination (weekend in NY or Hawaii or Frankfurt).
Agreed. I end up doing maybe 1 MR a year when I don't actually do something at the destination, and the last one I did (NYC - not AS) staying by the airport and leaving early the next AM was just not pleasant - but not as bad as (younger) years past when I got back on the next plane after a transcon. I'm now too achy and bitter to do that again. But that's me. I'm not judging. Sometimes it is nice to relax and catch up on movies or reading while enjoying marginal food and some wine or spirits, out of contact with the "down below." I write this as I'm taking a long weekend @ SCL, primarily for the miles, but with 2 nights here, and lie-flat seats for the longhaul segments.

I did need one MR late last year on AS to keep 75K, so I went to MSY for the night - but with 25 hours of ground time there, it made for a pleasant trip, and was worth the 50K bonus plus the status for another year.

The only justification the OP needs is "is it worth it to me?" And when I evaluate these things, it isn't necessarily a dollar-based analysis. It is simply so that when I call AS, they can thank me for being a 75K
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Mileage runs have never made sense to me, but I learned long ago that MRs are a YMMV.

My business+personal travel get me to about 50K each year on AS. I guess if I were close to either the Gold or 75K threshold, I'd consider visiting family or friends for a weekend. No way I'd spend 10-15 hours on a trip to nowhere. Again, YMMV.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Im in school full-time, so I asked my professors if it would be alright to do video conference into classes while Im on the ground, and if I could stay connected in chat forums while in the air. Im pretty much just writing papers and doing a bunch of research for a few different projects. So if anything, its actually keeping me more focused to get more on top of school work rather than being distracted going out and about at home. I also brought a small blow up backpacking pad to sleep on if I get too tired in between flights and want to just lay down.

- Ben
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:21 pm

Im in school full-time, so I asked my professors if it would be alright to do video conference into classes while Im on the ground, and if I could stay connected in chat forums while in the air. Im pretty much just writing papers and doing a bunch of research for a few different projects. So if anything, its actually keeping me more focused to get more on top of school work rather than being distracted going out and about at home. I also brought a small blow up backpacking pad to sleep on if I get too tired in between flights and want to just lay down.

- Ben
Hope you've had your flu shot. You're spending a lot of time in an aluminum Petri dish.
notquiteaff likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.