Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Promoting Hawaii travel on Twitter hours after a false missle alarm is bad timing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promoting Hawaii travel on Twitter hours after a false missle alarm is bad timing.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Wow.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

And I thought some of the reactions to AS' F meals were overdone.
captobie and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dayone
No, anything with shrooms in it should be denied boarding.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
It shows the continued ineptitude from top to bottom. If Hawaii did get struck, this tweet probably still would've got posted, ponder that. Expected something like this from the big three. Profiting after a near disaster, how tasteful.
So what are you suggesting? That AS' social media marketing team, instead of carefully designing and planning a campaign, posts each message "live", moments after thorough review of late breaking news? That they have someone sit around 24/7 to kill TV commercials at a moment's notice and send out a team of people taking down highway billboards?

Bizarre thread.
dgreen12 and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
OP has also opined that SEA and PDX's lack of winter weather infrastructure is reckless, despite the fact that there's not much to be reckless about since they just shut down during winter storms, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
If Hawaii did get struck, this tweet probably still would've got posted, ponder that.
Hmm, if Hawaii were hit with ICBMs, we might have bigger things to worry about than Alaska's social media marketing.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Over a million people just got through the idea of dying from a missile strike and AS promotes taking a vacation there.

Maybe it's because I have family there but that's just bad taste.
Unless you like watching missiles get shot out of the sky. The hysteria is crazy. Rather than seek shelter, run outside and watch them get destroyed (unless they happen in exoatmosphere)
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I'm from Maui. I don't actually see how they are trying to profit from the near disaster, but everyone here is reacting differently to what happened earlier this week and some people are having an understandably more difficult time than others. That sad I don't see anything in the twitter ad that was disrespectful, so I don't see how it's offensive. No reference was made to a bomb or anything like that. That said, as tusphotog says, Oahu is a great place to visit. Especially at this time of year.
notquiteaff and missamo80 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
One of my jobs way back in the dark ages in college was "traffic" for a TV station. My job was to sit and watch the news while I worked. If a plane crashed, I had to scour the ads for the upcoming news shows to insure there were no Airplane ads scheduled. Likewise for a hotel fire, meetings destination, etc. It was tedious and far more difficult to manage than you can imagine. I'm from Hawaii originally. I'm sure no one there took offense at that tweet (if they even saw it.) If it increases tourism when some people cancelled their vacations there, then good.

As for Hawaii, the beloved (and on the stodgy, too sensitive mainland, politically incorrect) comedian Frank DeLima even did a fun song about it.
. The real truth of the matter is that Hawaii govt learned something they didn't know: that the way they set up the computer program to alert the public about a missile attack needed to be changed. The people of Hawaii learned to not be so dang complacent and to think about where to meet, what to do, and where to go. This program shows what the interface looked like. When you design a UI like that, you're just asking for trouble. The state can't agree on what the missile alert interface actual - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL Thankfully it has been updated and my Ohana in Hawaii understands what I mean when i tell them they need to be less complacent about their safety.

So - TL;DR: Not such a bad thing that it happened even though people were scared out of their wits. Time to move on, be smarter, and let's get people traveling to Hawaii again. We suffered enough after 9/11, the SARS crisis and the first Gulf War.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
It shows the continued ineptitude from top to bottom. If Hawaii did get struck, this tweet probably still would've got posted, ponder that. Expected something like this from the big three. Profiting after a near disaster, how tasteful.
I love faux outrage and overly sensitive people. Keep up the good work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.