Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Promoting Hawaii travel on Twitter hours after a false missle alarm is bad timing.

Promoting Hawaii travel on Twitter hours after a false missle alarm is bad timing.

Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |

Over a million people just got through the idea of dying from a missile strike and AS promotes taking a vacation there.

Maybe it's because I have family there but that's just bad taste.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Tweet is now deleted but trying to post it:
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Many times these promotional tweets are scheduled to post in advance so don't get your knickers in such a knot.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I agree...I think most folks outside of Hawaii still don't even know about the false alarm....I didn't know about it until I read this post....nothing really to see here....
thegingninj and BSpeaker like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
Over a million people just got through the idea of dying from a missile strike and AS promotes taking a vacation there.

non sequitur
Grog likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I think it's just you. What does a false missile alarm have to do with tourism promotion? How exactly is this bad taste? They're encouraging people to visit Hawaii.

Neil
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missamo80
I think it's just you. What does a false missile alarm have to do with tourism promotion? How exactly is this bad taste? They're encouraging people to visit Hawaii.

Neil
It shows the continued ineptitude from top to bottom. If Hawaii did get struck, this tweet probably still would've got posted, ponder that. Expected something like this from the big three. Profiting after a near disaster, how tasteful.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:32 am

It shows the continued ineptitude from top to bottom. If Hawaii did get struck, this tweet probably still would've got posted, ponder that. Expected something like this from the big three. Profiting after a near disaster, how tasteful.
Respectfully, I think you're being overly sensitive. They're not "profiting" off the false alarm. They're trying to run an airline, running promotional material as they do every single day. I bet the Hawaii Tourism Authority didn't pull their tv ads either.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
can we close and delete this thread? Thanks - Cheers from Maui
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...and I just saw the following commercial

BSpeaker and Grog like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: HH Silver
I would think Hawaii would welcome the promotion. The State of Hawaii will profit just as much as AS. Think about how many people were not aware of the (almost non-existent imho) threat of a missile hitting Hawaii, and are now rethinking their plans. Much like the people cancelling trips to Mexico destinations that are perfectly safe at the moment, such as PV, based on the general travel warnings.

Just my thoughts.
BSpeaker and Grog like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Ineptitude? Top to bottom of what?--AS? And what "near disaster"? No one was "nearly struck" by anything.

I can well imagine the false alarm was rattling to those who received it. But certainly no reason to now rattle their economy in a misplaced economic 'moment of silence' over what was by all accounts a false alarm. It makes no sense to me for all promotion of any location to stop just because it's been otherwise 'promoted' in the news. If anything, that's a moment to punctuate the attention in a positive manner.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I'm just glad AS is promoting Honolulu. Please, everyone go there.
spamman808 and BSpeaker like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:36 pm

Would it have been okay if AS waited 1 day before running this post? 2 days? Or do some people think that AS should cancel all advertising relating to Hawaii because of this false alarm? Reductio ad absurdam.
tpsmith82 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:36 pm

I'm frankly outraged by every outrageously outrageous social media post!!!!! OUTRAGE!! IMPEACH NOW!! Today's outrage is this very post by the OP! OUTRAGEOUSLY OUTRAGEOUS. I'm going to scream into the sky and I'm literally shaking right now with outrage
dogolden, BSpeaker, Grog and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.