Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Purchased First versus Upgraded First Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite

Sometimes purchasing first versus U space upgrades is not that much more expensive. Are there benefits that would justify spending a little more when it is available or is it best to always take the lowest cost?

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by CAVU
Sometimes purchasing first versus U space upgrades is not that much more expensive. Are there benefits that would justify spending a little more when it is available or is it best to always take the lowest cost?

Thanks.
Lounge access if you will be at an airport with an Alaska Lounge. And a 75% EQM bonus for paid F.
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
“U” doesn’t get Alaska Lounge access or Class-of-Service mileage bonus

Edit: hmmmmmm ... I guess I type too slowly on my phone

missamo80 and pbelmore like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jrl767
“U” doesn’t get Alaska Lounge access or Class-of-Service mileage bonus
A little slow there. Beat you to it.

Edit: And now we have cross-posted again!
missamo80 and pbelmore like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Finkface
Edit: And now we have cross-posted again!
once again showing that timing is everything
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
F, D or A class also allows for SDC into any F seat ^

A is within 6 hours iirc, unless the pax holds AS status (then 10 PM the night before SDC applies).
flyupfrnt and channa like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
F, D or A class also allows for SDC into any F seat ^

A is within 6 hours iirc, unless the pax holds AS status (then 10 PM the night before SDC applies).
P also; I've done that a couple times (LAX-SEA) since last summer
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I will typically pay for first on a 4+ hour flight if the fare is < $200 more than Y, knowing full well that it can often be little more than a guarantee for a seat that will likely go to an MVPG / 75k, particularly on primarily leisure routes.
On a recent business trip SAN-MCO, I paid for first on the outbound only, 2 F seats quickly sold for $100 at the gate (I would have been upgraded for free). Price was substantially greater for the return, but there happened to be one unsold F seat, I was #1 on the upgrade list, ended up with the seat at T- 60 minutes.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by diver858
(I would have been upgraded for free).
assuming that the upgrade processor worked correctly, that is. a dangerous assumption to make at present.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by jrl767
P also; I've done that a couple times (LAX-SEA) since last summer
Wondering is P fare changeable or was it your Gold status that allowed no fee change?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
Wondering is P fare changeable or was it your Gold status that allowed no fee change?
last week I made the change on line, at least one earlier change was via phone ... all that mattered to me at the time was that it worked
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
SDC rules are generally governed by status of the passenger except for refundable fares and "A" saver F awards. So, the P fare SDC fee waiver should have been due to status and not fare class.

From AS.com:
The $25 same day confirmed change fee is waived for customers booked in F, D, A (First) and Y, Z (Coach) classes of service.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
IRROPS is another potential benefit. If you need to be rebooked, you get rebooked in F (if it's available).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.