Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
What is the current situation with using Companion certificate and full Y when booking . Do both passengers get COS on miles?
I have used companion certificates and both parties have always received the COS Bonus. I am generally applying GGUs on an eligible K fare for immediate upgrade into F which does not have a COS component but have also purchased M class before and both received the 25% COS.

James
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:16 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Does the 70K "price" for transcontinental award tix in F ever drop?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Only when you fly a partner it seems. AS has been super stingy on saver space and U space

Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
It drops significantly on Cathay Pacific between Vancouver and New York. 70K will get you First Class on a 4 cabin 777 RETURN.

James
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by rustykettel
That's technically correct. You can't use it for an F or P fare. You are still eligible for complimentary upgrades into U (GGUs, instant upgrade fare classes, mileage, & upgrade window/gate upgrades) from a purchased coach fare.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
And hence why I get 5 annually.

James
Originally Posted by jinglish
They can be used on instant upgrade- or GGU-eligible economy fares, but not paid F.
Amazing, that thought never even crossed my mind. Definitely makes the certificates a lot more valuable in that case. Glad we've got two of them at the moment!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:03 pm

Looking for an award ticket NRT to PHX, but when I search NRT-PHX the AS website it only comes up with Biz selections where the overwater portion is always in Coach only, just domestic on F.
I did find a NRT-SAN option with JL. Can I call an agent and ask to just add on the flight SAN-PHX or will that not work? Sorry, I never booked a flight with AS.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Looking for an award ticket NRT to PHX, but when I search NRT-PHX the AS website it only comes up with Biz selections where the overwater portion is always in Coach only, just domestic on F.
I did find a NRT-SAN option with JL. Can I call an agent and ask to just add on the flight SAN-PHX or will that not work? Sorry, I never booked a flight with AS.
You could if AS flew SAN-PHX, but they don't, and you can't combine multiple partners on AS awards, so no. Unless you feel like routing there through SEA or PDX and can find the saver award space.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I had a BA F redemption AMS-LHR-USA with a 23 hour stopover, with an overnight on the East Coast connecting on AS (ex-VX, but by that point, crapshoot on the seat I would get).

Then I noticed another F seat AMS-LHR(two and a half days)-West Coast overnight-AS Y. I have friends jn London. “OK, I’ll pay extra”. Used alaskaair.com to redo the ticket and prepared to grumble about UK APD.

There was an award flight with Y-only availability. APD difference: $90ish. If I picked a J flight the APD was over $200.

So is an extra day and a half in London worth $90? And do you think anyone else might be able to use that?

Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by jinglish
You could if AS flew SAN-PHX, but they don't, and you can't combine multiple partners on AS awards, so no. Unless you feel like routing there through SEA or PDX and can find the saver award space.
Thank you. I wasn't aware of that.Somehow I thought they were still in a relationship with AA who fly that segment.. But good to know, Hertz it is then. Appreciate your time.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:09 am

Thank you. I wasn't aware of that.Somehow I thought they were still in a relationship with AA who fly that segment.. But good to know, Hertz it is then. Appreciate your time.
Look for your JL flight separately for YVR, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD etc... Once you find that, add the XXX-PHX segment as the "connecting to" in multi-city.

James
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Thank you. I wasn't aware of that.Somehow I thought they were still in a relationship with AA who fly that segment.
The relationship isn't what it used to be, but you can still redeem awards on AA using Mileage Plan. The problem here is that you're already flying on one partner, JL, and AS won't allow you to tack another partner onto the same leg of the trip. JL connecting to AS is fine. JL one way and AA the other way on the same ticket is fine too. Just not this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Never had quite this scenario before but how does same day confirmed work with a paid F fare (P class specifically, afaik not an instant upgrade into U)? Are you given the SDC option during checkin as long as there are any F seats available on earlier flights (meaning you would trump any upgrade waitlisters)? My understanding with regular upgrades is that you lose a confirmed upgrade if you SDC to another flight that doesn't have U space at time of SDC.

Wife and I booked a discounted F fare for mid-November but now all the discounted fares are gone and we need to change to an earlier flight. Would rather not pay the $300+ fare difference if SDC will be an option. Most important thing here would be to make sure we are confirmed into F seats at time of SDC and not have to deal with waitlist
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I’m sure this has been asked several times, but I’ve been unable to locate the answer.

i book a lot of last minute travel on Alaska, seating availability is typically pretty good, except when flying to Anchorage.

Premium seating - if I’m placed in a middle seat because that’s all that’s available and I switch to an aisle or window in a regular seat, Will Alaska put me in a window or aisle premium seat if one becomes available or will I be taken off the upgrade list for premium seating?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Never had quite this scenario before but how does same day confirmed work with a paid F fare (P class specifically, afaik not an instant upgrade into U)? Are you given the SDC option during checkin as long as there are any F seats available on earlier flights (meaning you would trump any upgrade waitlisters)? My understanding with regular upgrades is that you lose a confirmed upgrade if you SDC to another flight that doesn't have U space at time of SDC.

Wife and I booked a discounted F fare for mid-November but now all the discounted fares are gone and we need to change to an earlier flight. Would rather not pay the $300+ fare difference if SDC will be an option. Most important thing here would be to make sure we are confirmed into F seats at time of SDC and not have to deal with waitlist
If you have a paid or award F (not upgraded, but a first class fare bucket), you can SDC to another flight with open F seats available, regardless of fare bucket availability. You would not be waitlisted. Same logic applies from main cabin - if you have a discounted main cabin fare, you could SDC onto a different flight with only full Y fares open.
I've done this w/ a discounted award fare, then SDC into another flight with only 1 F seat available to confirm the flight I actually wanted.
brosnan6 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:56 am

Hi All,

I had for the first time purchased Alaska Miles taking advantage of the 40% off, how long do they take to get posted to my account? My credit card has already been charged the amount.

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.