Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Hello everyone, I an new to Alaska having status matched my AA EXP to MVP 75K to get away from AA's EQD.

I'm wondering how the 75K companion upgrades work. Is it like other airlines where a companion severely decreases upgrade odds or do these actually go through at decent rate?

Trying to determine if buying up to a 75K eligible upgrade fare is worth it vs juggling the free upgrade odds.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
thanks for verifying... there are a few not-awful AA options, and I can live with eating the $12.50 fee if we end up canceling.
Also note that if you change (not cancel) the reservation, you don't get charged the fee again. If you really, really, really wanted to save $25 you could probably abuse this by repeatedly changing your reservation later and later rather than ever actually cancel. Totally not worth it (not even close), but the opportunity is there.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by vxmike
Hello everyone, I an new to Alaska having status matched my AA EXP to MVP 75K to get away from AA's EQD.

I'm wondering how the 75K companion upgrades work. Is it like other airlines where a companion severely decreases upgrade odds or do these actually go through at decent rate?

Trying to determine if buying up to a 75K eligible upgrade fare is worth it vs juggling the free upgrade odds.
Having a companion always makes it more difficult to get upgraded, but usually it's not an issue. As a 75k, most flights you'll be upgraded on even with companion, with the key exception being the transcons. Even those you'll get occasionally, but certainly not with any regularity when traveling with a companion.

That said, as a 75k you can immediately grab row 6/17 when booking, so even if you don't get upgraded you'll still get a decent seat on the long flights.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by quemalo
Having a companion always makes it more difficult to get upgraded, but usually it's not an issue. As a 75k, most flights you'll be upgraded on even with companion, with the key exception being the transcons. Even those you'll get occasionally, but certainly not with any regularity when traveling with a companion.

That said, as a 75k you can immediately grab row 6/17 when booking, so even if you don't get upgraded you'll still get a decent seat on the long flights.
Thanks. Does the companion push one behind all single 75K flyers? For example if there is myself+companion with five other single 75Ks but my fare class is higher will my companion push me behind them or does the highest 75K priority + companion go first? I can't seem to find the answer to this key question.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by vxmike
Thanks. Does the companion push one behind all single 75K flyers? For example if there is myself+companion with five other single 75Ks but my fare class is higher will my companion push me behind them or does the highest 75K priority + companion go first? I can't seem to find the answer to this key question.
There's not a penalty for a companion, except that there has to be at least two open upgrades available to move both you and your companion into F. The upgrade processor won't split you if there's only one open upgrade, it will move on until it hits the first solo on the upgrade list. Other than that situation, having a companion has no impact on where you stand on the upgrade list: by elite level, by fare class, and then by date of purchase.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

There's not a penalty for a companion, except that there has to be at least two open upgrades available to move both you and your companion into F. The upgrade processor won't split you if there's only one open upgrade, it will move on until it hits the first solo on the upgrade list. Other than that situation, having a companion has no impact on where you stand on the upgrade list: by elite level, by fare class, and then by date of purchase.
Fantastic, thanks! This looks like a great program so far. Hopefully it will last!!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Proactively offered $75 for a two-hour VX mechanical via email. Is this the norm for AS?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:13 am

Does anyone know why flight 39 is delayed 11 hours today??? I have this flight tomorrow....

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...2/15/949612802
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by sjackson12
Does anyone know why flight 39 is delayed 11 hours today??? I have this flight tomorrow....

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...2/15/949612802
Code:
Comments:
SCHEDULE     ACTUAL     DELAY/CANCEL   ARRIVAL          
CITY  ARRV  DEPT   ARRV  DEPT   CODES          GATE            
MSP   ORIG  700A                                               
SEA   905A  TERM                                               

3MSP/ETD0615P 11.15L DUE PILOT CREW  *0745
2SEA/ETA0811P 11.06L PROJECTED  *0746
Looks like something happened to the scheduled flight crew, and waiting for another crew to become available or getting a new crew there.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:22 am

Thanks, where did you get that info?

Would Alaska offer refunds to those passengers? Vouchers?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by sjackson12
Thanks, where did you get that info?

Would Alaska offer refunds to those passengers? Vouchers?
It's from Expertflyer which is pulling it from Sabre (I think). Yes to both according to AS' published policy, if they're not able/willing to rebook onto another flight within their timeframes

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...-delay-choices

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...ent-delay-care
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I'm currently helping my parents book a non-stop TCON (BWI-SFO) for early August. I would love to upgrade them using my 75k guest codes, but none of the non-stops have available F upgrade space. I know these are popular routes, so AS is likely hoping to be able to fill them with paid F passengers, however it's quite a long time until early August so they're pretty empty at the moment. What are the chances that availability pops up sometime between now and August?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by zymm
What are the chances that availability pops up sometime between now and August?
The bigger question might be what type of aircraft is flying that route in August. It could be something that offers more than 8 seats if they reconfigure some of the A320s by that point or move a 737 onto that route. If Alaska does that, you might have an aircraft with 12-16F seats which could open more availability. Too early to really know at six months out.
zymm likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:11 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I have been an AA Executive Platinum for a number of years. Know the AA system inside and out, but I just status matched myself to Alaska 75K MVP. Where here are the best threads to examine to understand the Alaska system for elites? In particular, I am interested in the details of lounge access, partners, partner lounge access, upgrades, and additional benefits of MVP elite status.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I recall some time ago that CX flights in O-class earned 50% of miles flown. I checked today, and it's now 25% ... does anyone know when the earning chart changed? It must be recent (within the last one or two months I'm guessing?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.