Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Does that include the free companion certificate...?
Yes, it does.
See here: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by muji
Thanks, rustykettel. I appreciate your help with this.
I still have three as-yet-unanswered questions.

1) Would the $15 over-the-phone booking fee cover the five seats from three accounts, or would it be $15 per passenger?

2) If I book over the phone, would Alaska likely allow me to stipulate that I want 3 of the 5 tickets paid from my miles account, and the 4th one from my son's account, and the fifth one from my son's wife's account?

3) If I can book the five seats using my miles (which would simplify things and ensure we get the seats on the same flight), I wonder if I could then later on call Alaska and ask them to change the booking of one of the five seats to use miles from a different account, and change another of the five seats to use miles from still another account? (I am trying to accomplish a family trip where I will use my miles for just 3 of the 5 seats.)
Checking back to see if anyone can help me with these questions.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Does that include the free companion certificate, like the main link on the website currently does?
The companion cert is a standard annual feature of the the Signature card, not a signup bonus.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jinglish
The companion cert is a standard annual feature of the the Signature card, not a signup bonus.
To be clear, the current promotion basically gives the first year companion ticket for free (taxes and fees only). Subsequent years are $99 plus fees. But, yes, I see that's part of the current promotion.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checking back to see if anyone can help me with these questions.
Thanks in advance.
I don't know the answers to these questions. But you can call them and ask. You only have to pay the $15 fee if you book something; questions are answered for free
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't know the answers to these questions. But you can call them and ask.
I definitely will call them, but before doing so, I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience of trying to book for several family members from several accounts.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I definitely will call them, but before doing so, I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience of trying to book for several family members from several accounts.
I've never tried it.

My guess is that (1) the $15 fee is per reservation (otherwise they would say "per passenger" in the fine print, and (2) you can't pay for one booking with more than 1 account. So you will end up paying $15 / account if you do it over the phone. But I could be totally wrong on that... please report back with the answer after you call.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I've never tried it.

My guess is that (1) the $15 fee is per reservation (otherwise they would say "per passenger" in the fine print, and (2) you can't pay for one booking with more than 1 account. So you will end up paying $15 / account if you do it over the phone. But I could be totally wrong on that... please report back with the answer after you call.
I know you can book over the phone from two accounts onto a single PNR as long as both have the full individual amounts. Haven't seen any reports here of multiple pax with some paying from their own account and some coming from a single account. Other than elite benefits and slight ease of managing the reservation, not sure there's really a benefit to a single PNR or multiple PNRs.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:27 am

How does getting an upgrade work for a ~lowly~ MVP?

On a flight SEA-PHL, and I /think/ there are open seats in First (though not sure if a shorter passenger came in after I passed through and is sitting in a seat that looks empty to me). On the app, I show as 3rd on the wait list with no one above me having the full-green "First Class Seat Assigned" check. But on the screen by the gate, I showed as 1st on a seemingly different "Upgrade Requests" list.

​​​I just kept refreshing my app hoping to get the green check, but is there something I actually need to /do/, or do I just wait and they'll call my name (or I see the check in the app and go talk to them)? Should be Gold by June and hopefully that'll make this easier since I fly at (what I think are) non-business-FF times.

Also, I went ahead and selected a Premium Class seat 48h out. The website suggested that doesn't affect anything, but then why would the person ahead of me on the upgrade list not select one? Could that mean they had one at booking or just prefer a different seat?

Also also, how is priority between people of same status determined? I was 3/a lot of people on the upgrade list, but I have matched status and no flights this year, so how could I have more EQM (or whatever determines priority) than others?

Last edited by StevieTopSiders; Feb 2, 2018 at 8:28 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
How does getting an upgrade work for a ~lowly~ MVP?

On a flight SEA-PHL, and I /think/ there are open seats in First (though not sure if a shorter passenger came in after I passed through and is sitting in a seat that looks empty to me). On the app, I show as 3rd on the wait list with no one above me having the full-green "First Class Seat Assigned" check. But on the screen by the gate, I showed as 1st on a seemingly different "Upgrade Requests" list.

​​​I just kept refreshing my app hoping to get the green check, but is there something I actually need to /do/, or do I just wait and they'll call my name (or I see the check in the app and go talk to them)? Should be Gold by June and hopefully that'll make this easier since I fly at (what I think are) non-business-FF times.

Also, I went ahead and selected a Premium Class seat 48h out. The website suggested that doesn't affect anything, but then why would the person ahead of me on the upgrade list not select one? Could that mean they had one at booking or just prefer a different seat?

Also also, how is priority between people of same status determined? I was 3/a lot of people on the upgrade list, but I have matched status and no flights this year, so how could I have more EQM (or whatever determines priority) than others?
Your place on the list is based on your status and fare class. The number of miles flown isn’t considered. If people didn’t get an upgrade, every F seat was surely taken. Maybe that sort of thing happens, but I’ve never seen it. As an MVP, your chances of an upgrade on a transcon are minimal. Getting up to #3 is pretty high. As a Gold I’ve been in the 40s on many SEA-DCA flights. The reason another person higher on the list doesn’t choose a premium seat is probably because they already have the seat they want (e.g., e it row).
pbelmore likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Your place on the list is based on your status and fare class. The number of miles flown isn’t considered. If people didn’t get an upgrade, every F seat was surely taken. Maybe that sort of thing happens, but I’ve never seen it. As an MVP, your chances of an upgrade on a transcon are minimal. Getting up to #3 is pretty high. As a Gold I’ve been in the 40s on many SEA-DCA flights. The reason another person higher on the list doesn’t choose a premium seat is probably because they already have the seat they want (e.g., e it row).
I peeked at the First cabin, and indeed all the seats are taken: someone must have come onboard late. Besides getting high on the list, what actually happens if I clear? Is any action required on my part, will they call me up to the desk, will my app update my seat automatically, or will I get a new boarding pass when I scan in when they call MVP/Premium Class?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
I peeked at the First cabin, and indeed all the seats are taken: someone must have come onboard late. Besides getting high on the list, what actually happens if I clear? Is any action required on my part, will they call me up to the desk, will my app update my seat automatically, or will I get a new boarding pass when I scan in when they call MVP/Premium Class?
Prior to going to airport control (around T-1hr or so), it should update in the app (may need to refresh) with showing you in the First cabin. You may or may not have a seat assignment.

If it happens at the gate, you should be paged up for a new boarding pass as soon as you're cleared. It should also update in the app. It's also possible that you may be upgraded after boarding, including right before door closure. The very last minutes ones will ask you to stay in your Y seat until the seatbelt sign is off in the air so that departure isn't delayed.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Was there an update to the SDC/SDS policies?
I checked in for my Saturday 7a flight (SEA-LAX) at 7:30a (Friday) and was offered the chance to change to earlier/later flight and when I clicked the button, it showed three possible flights (as usual). Normally as a Gold, I would be eligible at 10p the night prior. My MVP colleague (on a separate reservation) was also offered the same option. The app has usually been pretty good about enforcing the 10p rule.

Is this a glitch or new?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a specific policy for paid F upgrades? I booked AS for an upcoming SFO - PHX roundtrip (surprisingly, WAY cheaper than UA). I generally don't fly economy but they were ridiculously cheap so I decided to go for the ticket and hope I can upgrade. This is something that I did all the time on VX, but I don't know how it works on AS. I obviously asked for a complementary upgrade but with my lowly MVP status (I didn't fly much last year so I didn't maintain VX Gold, and thus didn't get MVP Gold) and my even more lowly fare buckets (K one way, T the other) I don't like my odds. But I am totally willing to pay for an upgrade to F. A friend has told me that he has been offered upgrades for $50 or $75, which I would happily pay, but he doesn't remember if it was at check-in or at the gate.

Also... if I upgrade, do I earn miles at booked class or flown class? Does this change if it's a paid vs complementary upgrade? I assume that it's booked (it has to be... right?) but it's not really clear on the website.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Is there a specific policy for paid F upgrades? I booked AS for an upcoming SFO - PHX roundtrip (surprisingly, WAY cheaper than UA). I generally don't fly economy but they were ridiculously cheap so I decided to go for the ticket and hope I can upgrade. This is something that I did all the time on VX, but I don't know how it works on AS. I obviously asked for a complementary upgrade but with my lowly MVP status (I didn't fly much last year so I didn't maintain VX Gold, and thus didn't get MVP Gold) and my even more lowly fare buckets (K one way, T the other) I don't like my odds. But I am totally willing to pay for an upgrade to F. A friend has told me that he has been offered upgrades for $50 or $75, which I would happily pay, but he doesn't remember if it was at check-in or at the gate.

Also... if I upgrade, do I earn miles at booked class or flown class? Does this change if it's a paid vs complementary upgrade? I assume that it's booked (it has to be... right?) but it's not really clear on the website.
​​​​​Paid upgrades only become available once the complimentary upgrade waitlist is empty.

And you'll earn miles according to the booked fare bucket regardless of upgrade method.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.