FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:27 am
StevieTopSiders

How does getting an upgrade work for a ~lowly~ MVP?

On a flight SEA-PHL, and I /think/ there are open seats in First (though not sure if a shorter passenger came in after I passed through and is sitting in a seat that looks empty to me). On the app, I show as 3rd on the wait list with no one above me having the full-green "First Class Seat Assigned" check. But on the screen by the gate, I showed as 1st on a seemingly different "Upgrade Requests" list.

​​​I just kept refreshing my app hoping to get the green check, but is there something I actually need to /do/, or do I just wait and they'll call my name (or I see the check in the app and go talk to them)? Should be Gold by June and hopefully that'll make this easier since I fly at (what I think are) non-business-FF times.

Also, I went ahead and selected a Premium Class seat 48h out. The website suggested that doesn't affect anything, but then why would the person ahead of me on the upgrade list not select one? Could that mean they had one at booking or just prefer a different seat?

Also also, how is priority between people of same status determined? I was 3/a lot of people on the upgrade list, but I have matched status and no flights this year, so how could I have more EQM (or whatever determines priority) than others?

Last edited by StevieTopSiders; Feb 2, 2018 at 8:28 am Reason: Typo