Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule change - options?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
If ATL doesn't support two flights a day, year round, why should AS commit to two flights a day? Seems like this is good aircraft utilization to me, exactly what we expect AS to do. As far as I can see the acquisition of VX has exactly nothing to do with it. I used to fly this route a lot and back then it was only one a day to ATL.
One flight a day to ATL is fine, just schedule it at a time when connecting customers can actually use it!

Hey hey, ho ho,
7am departures of 1x daily flights from SEA
Have got to go!
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by PDXpress
One flight a day to ATL is fine, just schedule it at a time when connecting customers can actually use it!

Hey hey, ho ho,
7am departures of 1x daily flights from SEA
Have got to go!
Exactly.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AS has the data - not me - but maybe they have determined the flight needs to leave early to serve SEA-origin customers who would be dissatisfied with a later departure. That issue needs to be balanced in scheduling across a hub.

If AS won't put the OP's traveler on Delta (connections via either SLC or MSP can work, meeting the rest-of-group arrivals window), the OP should think about it if timing and traveler convenience are important.

(Scheduling a group of 12 from multiple origins is saintly or foolhardy.)
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Since this aircraft turns around and heads back to SEA it may be that people didnt want too late a flight to SEA for connections on this end. Granted this is only going to work for people in WA or Portland.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Called - the agent had no options except to get my family member into Bozeman after midnight. She then looked at American. As I suspected, since AA themselves are not offering the award at the saver level, the agent didn't have access to it. I asked the agent if a supervisor would be more empowered to try to book me on American or any other airline and she said no.

Not sure I believe that 100%, but as a peon Alaska Mileage Plan member who has only ever credited my AS flights to AA, there was no desire or ability (or both) to do anything beyond try to keep the travel on Alaska. Based on my preconceptions that there would be almost no benefit in actually escalating my call to a supervisor, I took the mileage refund.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:25 pm

What’s AS flexibility like?

Got tickets today for Aug (I know super early and only 30% chance of going) to Alaska.

Idea was to use miles before 3/31 if rates go up. Very pleased with the tickets we got. One question though, we fly from JFK both ways, solely on AS planes. If there are schedule changes which invariably there will be, does AS offer flexibility say to change departing airport from JFK to SWF, therefore flying on AA for the first or last legs?

Over the years AA and DL have been great about accommodating, with the occasional HUCA needed, but how is AS in that regard?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
since AS has service at EWR, they *might* allow you to change to that departure point, but even with the restored AS/AA partnership I’d seriously doubt they would be able to have AA open awards space SWF-ORD to meet up with AS flight(s) to your destination
Old Mar 30, 2021, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by zski1
Called - the agent had no options except to get my family member into Bozeman after midnight. She then looked at American. As I suspected, since AA themselves are not offering the award at the saver level, the agent didn't have access to it. I asked the agent if a supervisor would be more empowered to try to book me on American or any other airline and she said no.

Not sure I believe that 100%, but as a peon Alaska Mileage Plan member who has only ever credited my AS flights to AA, there was no desire or ability (or both) to do anything beyond try to keep the travel on Alaska. Based on my preconceptions that there would be almost no benefit in actually escalating my call to a supervisor, I took the mileage refund.
it was not about desire, rather ability. it was not that AS is trying to force you to fly AS metal. rather, AS cannot force AA to open its inventory and it's not incumbent on AS to pay AA, DL, or anyone else for your transport in this situation. the clauses about advance schedule changes in the CoC are clear, you will be rebooked based on availability, or offered a refund. if you experienced a day of travel disruption due to AS's fault (mechanical, crew availability, etc.) then it would have been a different story. but not days/weeks/months in advance.

if the coin were flipped and you were booked on AA miles/metal and the same thing happened in reverse, the outcome would have been the same. AA could not force AS to open their award inventory, and would have offered you an alternate AA metal option, or given you a refund.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jrl767
since AS has service at EWR, they *might* allow you to change to that departure point, but even with the restored AS/AA partnership I’d seriously doubt they would be able to have AA open awards space SWF-ORD to meet up with AS flight(s) to your destination
In order for AS to rebook you onto AA, there will either have to be award space available or AA will need to be willing to voluntarily do so. That is a drawn out manual process with no guarantee of success. Whether AS is willing to attempt this if there are any other reasonable AS alternatives is down to the particular agent at the time.

Thus, you have to plan on an AS-only reroute.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Often1
In order for AS to rebook you onto AA, there will either have to be award space available or AA will need to be willing to voluntarily do so. That is a drawn out manual process with no guarantee of success. Whether AS is willing to attempt this if there are any other reasonable AS alternatives is down to the particular agent at the time.

Thus, you have to plan on an AS-only reroute.
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn’t quite sure if the relationship between the two of them so that helps.

Interestingly, when attempting to book a multi-city flight that appeared online, ANC-FAI-ORD-NYC, it kept erroring out as could not book due to being partner flights. Was excited to try that itinerary for a long day lover in FAI but eventually gave up.
Old May 23, 2021, 1:38 pm

As expected, schedule change finally happened. Glad we booked our car before prices skyrocketed. Still not sure if will go but if we do hope can work the change into our favor. I see some flights out of HPN which is closer than the city. Still holding out to see if SWF would open up though. And have to see if can actually go on the trip or not. We’ll see.
Old May 23, 2021, 2:59 pm

The schedule change maniac starting in Feb makes me question if I should just fly WN or AA instead.

I picked some midday flights to avoid redeye or rushing to airport at 5a, only to be changed to or given the choices to change to red eye or 6-7a flight. Midday flights are more expensive btw.
Old May 23, 2021, 3:25 pm

No dice. Said can only stay on AS flights, but was able to change from JFK-LAX-SEA to JFK-SEA. Not bad

Originally Posted by lovefly88
As expected, schedule change finally happened. Glad we booked our car before prices skyrocketed. Still not sure if will go but if we do hope can work the change into our favor. I see some flights out of HPN which is closer than the city. Still holding out to see if SWF would open up though. And have to see if can actually go on the trip or not. We’ll see.
Old May 23, 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
In the case of flight schedule change, pretty much anything can be changed. I've tickets changed from DCA to IAD and departure one day later.
Old May 23, 2021, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Mahogany
In the case of flight schedule change, pretty much anything can be changed. I've tickets changed from DCA to IAD and departure one day later.
as stated above, this typically does NOT include convincing partners to make award space available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.