Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air stock falls sharply on difficulties with Virgin, Horizon Air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Air stock falls sharply on difficulties with Virgin, Horizon Air

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
FWIW, according to an AS pilot on the SEA-IND flight last week, AS is heavily considering adding an IND-PDX (Portland) route that would be added sometime in 2018.
Remember, pilots are the #1 authority on anything going on at their airline. A close #2 are FAs, probably because they spend all day talking to the #1 authority.

FWIW, I just want the second PDX-PHX flight to stick around all year and a SFO-PHX flight or two.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Remember, pilots are the #1 authority on anything going on at their airline. A close #2 are FAs, probably because they spend all day talking to the #1 authority.
Post of the day.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

They have never offered anything to the industry that is game changing. They are not distruptors. They strive to be slightly better than average which works fine in a non/low-competitive region like the PNW. Does not work well in a hyper competitive market.
That's actually not true. Not sure how long you've followed Alaska or flown them.

-> 1st airline to offer digeplayers / on demand video to passengers (they even beat JetBlue to this, who had seatback TVs). All other airlines had their videos on a loop.

-> they *used* to have the best seat pitch in Y

-> They were the first to offer more than just "nuts and pretzels" in their lounges by offering the pancake machine, soups, and salads.

-> They were also the first to NOT charge for liquor, systemwide, in their lounges.

-> The partnerships with both AA / DL provided elite-level benefits to their passengers; baggage, upgrades, and seating. Name 1 other US carrier that has this with another US partner.

-> Alaska was the first to offer one-way redemptions/awards on mileage tickets

-> Alaska was last to pull back food offerings in F

-> Alaska was the first airline to offer regional alcohol, on a regular basis, onboard

-> Horizon offers free alcohol to all customers
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
That's actually not true. Not sure how long you've followed Alaska or flown them.

-> 1st airline to offer digeplayers / on demand video to passengers (they even beat JetBlue to this, who had seatback TVs). All other airlines had their videos on a loop.

-> They were the first to offer more than just "nuts and pretzels" in their lounges by offering the pancake machine, soups, and salads.

-> They were also the first to NOT charge for liquor, systemwide, in their lounges.

-> The partnerships with both AA / DL provided elite-level benefits to their passengers; baggage, upgrades, and seating. Name 1 other US carrier that has this with another US partner.

-> Alaska was the first airline to offer regional alcohol, on a regular basis, onboard

So nothing recent. You've pretty much proved his point.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by channa
Well, they did pilot home-printed bag tags. But that's the only thing of note I can think of since I started flying regularly about three years ago.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:47 pm

Other firsts at Alaska:

First airline to sell tickets through its website (1995).

First airline to offer online check-in (1999).

While were technically not the first to offer kiosk check-in, they rolled out kiosks systemwide way ahead of other US carriers (1999).

Alaska also pioneered RNP approaches in 1996 and was the first US carrier to fully equip its fleet for RNP approaches.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Puts thread police hat on: This sure has wandered off topic hasn't it!?!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I flew VX three times in early October. Twice in a 8/8 F cabin (ORD-LAX and LAX-SEA), once on a completely full flight where I wasn't upgraded to MCS because, well, completely full flight (SFO-SEA).

I'm sure my anecdotes are not as valid for whatever reason, though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just off JFK-LAS 8/8 filled. Packed flight.

The obvious answer is that two of those flights involve SEA where the vast majority of AS loyalists/elites reside. If they were not doing well there, then they would really be in trouble.
Guess one could call JFK a "focus city" I suppose- and there is thru traffic to SFO...

Its a thin frequency however, and the only time I'd been on VX.

All of VX's routes compete will every major airline. Lacking a fan base or a product to get excited about, AS is pushing blackberries when the rest of the world has moved beyond just getting e-mails from a smart phone.
Guess this is why I like AS so much. I like my classic

Alaska has already came out and made it clear that they plan on being the "in between" airline.

they want to be the guy between the ULCC/LCCs and the mainline carriers.

And, not coming out as an Alaska fanboy, but they seem to be headed that way. They are making an F product, for a 737, that is nicer than "the other guys" and an acceptable service matrix in the premium cabin.
Agree.

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Puts thread police hat on: This sure has wandered off topic hasn't it!?!
Time to buy ALK?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by tusphotog

FWIW, I just want the second PDX-PHX flight to stick around all year and a SFO-PHX flight or two.
Relax, that is why I said FWIW...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by channa
And again nothing that disrupted the industry. Their lounges are still terrible and no we don’t get excited about a pancake machine or the fact they they were the first to offer and the last to withdraw prayer cards from the meal tray either.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Just off JFK-LAS 8/8 filled. Packed flight.

Guess one could call JFK a "focus city" I suppose- and there is thru traffic to SFO...
Its a thin frequency however, and the only time I'd been on VX.
Guess this is why I like AS so much. I like my classic
Agree.
Time to buy ALK?
that's because mint hasn't opened on that route yet. That's happening in a week. On at least one day, mint cabin was sold out a month ahead of time. As I've said many times, JFK-LAS route is on death watch. not going to be around this time next year. I'm not say AS is in trouble, just that certain routes are in trouble.

having said that, I wouldn't invest in any airline stock, but that's just me. Allows me to enjoy flying a little more.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:28 am

And again nothing that disrupted the industry. Their lounges are still terrible and no we don’t get excited about a pancake machine or the fact they they were the first to offer and the last to withdraw prayer cards from the meal tray either.
I think you overestimate the ability and scope of disruption in the US airline industry. The only real disruption the industry has seen in the past decade is selling a better product for less (e.g. Mint). The type of positive innovation generally associate with disruption has been lacking since, we can all admit, it is tough to innovate with a commodity product.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold

-> First domestic airline to sell tickets on the internet.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by fly18725
I think you overestimate the ability and scope of disruption in the US airline industry.
Disruption typically occurs when the incumbents are “over serving” a market, and the disrupting firms enter with a cheaper product that is “good enough.” One could easily argue that the entire airline industry has been disrupted by LCCs and ULCCs, and the US3 have survived only through bankruptcy law and adopting ULCC-like products themselves.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by milypan
Disruption typically occurs when the incumbents are “over serving” a market, and the disrupting firms enter with a cheaper product that is “good enough.” One could easily argue that the entire airline industry has been disrupted by LCCs and ULCCs, and the US3 have survived only through bankruptcy law and adopting ULCC-like products themselves.
So what is AS in this scenario? LCC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.