Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Partnership with Aeromexico is ending on December 31st, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Partnership with Aeromexico is ending on December 31st, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Angry Partnership with Aeromexico is ending on December 31st, 2017

Title says it all.

see https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ers/aeromexico

Darn - I have two long distance AeroMexico flights for this January.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:27 am

Yep, not at all surprised. We were just speculating on what the next partner to be cut was, and with Delta's Joint Cooperation Agreement with AM announced a few months ago, this was clearly on the chopping block.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davistev
Title says it all.
Darn - I have two long distance AeroMexico flights for this January.
if you've already booked them, you should still earn miles according to your link.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Ouch! I guess we all saw that coming considering awards haven't been available for nearly 2 years and the DL/AM ownership.

I will miss the frequent J sales to EZE, the above-average Y service on the 787, and the MEX stopovers

AS MP loyalty is really starting to hurt.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
not surprising, considering redemptions on AM have been impossible for, well, almost forever...this partnership clearly wasn't a priority for AS and probably not for AM either. with the AM/DL tieup, this was inevitable and frankly i'm surprised AF and KL continue to persist.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:17 pm

That was expected. With the presence of AS in Mexico; not sure how much value did this partnership had. I would rather fly LAN to South America than have another stop over in between.

Iberia seem to be another choice considering it is owned by IAG. The real question is if they will charge the same exuberant fees as BA for award travel.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Alaska needs to do something about their PR.

"Starting January 1st, 2018, Aeromexico will no longer be a Mileage Plan partner. Please review the details below for Aeromexico mileage earning information.* You can rest assured that Alaska still has your travel needs to Mexico covered. With new service to Mexico City this fall, Alaska and Virgin America have the most nonstop flights from the West Coast to Mexico of any U.S. airline."

Sure, MEX covers a lot of business, but the advantage of AM was the reach into secondary markets.

This sort of language falls short of understanding the advantage of the carrier(s) brought to the table. Losing AA, DL, and now AM, loses a lot of reach beyond major markets.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We booked literally 23 hours and 59 minutes ago* a January flight YVR-MEX-LIM.

I'm pleased at least that AS is honoring fares booked through yesterday, and the way this suddenly changed we'll be sure to always check the partner page again just before booking any partners in future!

Maybe it was an omen that the AM site wouldn't accept our AS numbers ("invalid").

*Make that 24 hours +.

Update: I reviewed our ticketing online and learned we could get a refund until Midnight tonight if we wanted one.

Last edited by Fredd; Sep 6, 2017 at 2:28 pm Reason: additional info
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I've already not been able to find AM award space via Alaska. I think the website said that there was some technical issue? Anyone know if that's been fixed or are we just doomed to not be able to use them for redemptions even up until the end of the year?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by channa
This sort of language falls short of understanding the advantage of the carrier(s) brought to the table. Losing AA, DL, and now AM, loses a lot of reach beyond major markets.
In this case I don't think it really matters. They have the Baja/west coast leisure markets, MEX, and GDL covered; almost half of the AS mainline destinations from LAX are south of the border. Were there really that many people connecting to OAX and crediting to AS?
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I've already not been able to find AM award space via Alaska. I think the website said that there was some technical issue? Anyone know if that's been fixed or are we just doomed to not be able to use them for redemptions even up until the end of the year?
That's been the case for a good couple of years now. The relationship already had issues before AS's MEX additions and the DL JV.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just received the "Our Commitment To Mexico" email.

The hits keep coming.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by thegingninj
if you've already booked them, you should still earn miles according to your link.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have been so used to being shafted by airline "enhancements" that I assumed the worst. YES - still get my miles.
thegingninj likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by davistev
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have been so used to being shafted by airline "enhancements" that I assumed the worst. YES - still get my miles.
They took the same route with DL, for what it's worth.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Standard post VX, delusional we don't need our partners message.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:56 pm

My guess is that KLM/AF is next to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.