Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Partnership with Aeromexico is ending on December 31st, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Partnership with Aeromexico is ending on December 31st, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I've already not been able to find AM award space via Alaska. I think the website said that there was some technical issue? Anyone know if that's been fixed or are we just doomed to not be able to use them for redemptions even up until the end of the year?
As stated above, the redemptions haven't been available for ~2 years now. It's unfortunate, because prior to that, there was very good availability Y & J on nearly every route. I feel like I remember hearing that one of the reasons they took it redemptions offline initially was because it was a glitch to have so many seats available for awards and called it "technical difficulties".
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by sturges
As stated above, the redemptions haven't been available for ~2 years now. It's unfortunate, because prior to that, there was very good availability Y & J on nearly every route. I feel like I remember hearing that one of the reasons they took it redemptions offline initially was because it was a glitch to have so many seats available for awards and called it "technical difficulties".
This was definitely my experience. AM is so expensive for cash compared to some of the other options to get to Latin America, that I didn't tend to use them for mileage earning, but found they were great for getting to GIG with two people in J. That's an option on AA basically never and on LA actually never.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Hopefully this will prompt AS/VX to expand into Mexico secondaries. MTY is an obvious one. Lots of business travel to MTY so it could/might be economic from say SEA or LAX.
Another possibility that I've heard wished for is for them to find another partner in Mexico, like Interjet. I love this idea, as Interjet provides a fine (if low-frills) experience for a great price. Alaska just added Condor as a partner, so they're clearly not afraid to hook up with decent-quality budget carriers.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Too bad AS is slowly losing the SkyTeam partners. I hope they don't lose AF/KLM and KE because I do fly them once awhile (maybe once per two years), and don't want to collect Skypeso
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I don't like skypeso, too, but I am afraid losing valuable partners is a trend rather than occasional strategic adjustments. My biggest problem is losing coverage to domestic secondary cities beyond the west coast due to losing DL and AA partnerships. If we lose KE, my TPAC flights will probably all have to go to DL. CX doesn't serve SEA. I should be able to renew 75K this year, but I am also going for DL silver this year. I will probably slowly ramp up my DL flights next year to get beyond the silver level if the AS partnership situations continue to deteriorate.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
I should be able to renew 75K this year, but I am also going for DL silver this year.
I recently enrolled in DL, and received a status match (to PM). While I'll never meet the full match, hopefully I'll be able to start next year with at least low tier DL status. I should also keep 75K for 2018, but afterward, it is too soon to tell. With flying patterns of the past few years, MVPG might be it.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I recently enrolled in DL, and received a status match (to PM). While I'll never meet the full match, hopefully I'll be able to start next year with at least low tier DL status. I should also keep 75K for 2018, but afterward, it is too soon to tell. With flying patterns of the past few years, MVPG might be it.
Enrolled in DL too. Was looking at DL's status match program and one trip to Europe on DL's cut rate fares would extend the match to GM for 12-18 months depending on when I did it. In the meantime, figure SPG/DL Crossover Rewards is as much of a chance for complimentary F as AS was, on those occasional DL flights until then.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:29 pm

May be I should look into status match from DL, too. We all love AS but they are trying to act like playing in the big league in front of their loyal flyers while they are not at that level yet. They really need to focus on strengthening the quality of their products on hand before they venture into the majors territory. They were not ready at that time when they wanted to cut ties with DL. I don't think they are ready even now.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They were not ready at that time when they wanted to cut ties with DL. I don't think they are ready even now.
To make the record perfectly clear, AS did not want to cut ties with DL. DL decided it wanted to take over the PNW and give the big eff yeu to AS.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
May be I should look into status match from DL, too. We all love AS but they are trying to act like playing in the big league in front of their loyal flyers while they are not at that level yet. They really need to focus on strengthening the quality of their products on hand before they venture into the majors territory. They were not ready at that time when they wanted to cut ties with DL. I don't think they are ready even now.
I agree. They really need to focus on strengthening their domestic network and speeding up the merger to feel like a big airline.

The lounges at PDX/LAX are also a joke; there's still no lounge at SFO; and no lounge access for elites on international itineraries. Instead, we get low quality overcrowded lounges that Alaska doubles as revenue from the Priority Pass crowd.

jetBlue might not have lounges, but their product is so much more clear and consistent, and at times, feels like a more cohesive airline and brand than Alaska does.

Alaska doesn't need to start buying A380s or joining airline alliances, nor should they. But they really need to step up.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
With AM loss and semi-divorce with AA it is almost impossible to use or collect miles flying to or around South America. LATAM has a bunch of restrictions on collecting miles (found out when I got no credit LIM-CUZ), and AA dropped a bunch of US to South America routes you can use Mileage Plan miles, you are pretty much SOL getting to/from South America with Alaska. Be nice if they'd add someone else, seems like there are a bunch of options to Asia and Europe now
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DG206
With AM loss and semi-divorce with AA it is almost impossible to use or collect miles flying to or around South America. LATAM has a bunch of restrictions on collecting miles (found out when I got no credit LIM-CUZ), and AA dropped a bunch of US to South America routes you can use Mileage Plan miles, you are pretty much SOL getting to/from South America with Alaska. Be nice if they'd add someone else, seems like there are a bunch of options to Asia and Europe now
The only other real "Pan South America" airline is Avianca. I don't see it coming.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Ill have to wait until i qualify for 75K then do the challenge, especially since partner flights. With all the China Eastern (DL tier 1 partner) deals it shouldn't be too hard to meet the challenge.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:12 pm

To make the record perfectly clear, AS did not want to cut ties with DL. DL decided it wanted to take over the PNW and give the big eff yeu to AS.
You are probably right, but I also heard the other side of the story. Well we usually give the benefit of the doubt to AS, don't we?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
You are probably right, but I also heard the other side of the story. Well we usually give the benefit of the doubt to AS, don't we?
I've found that people here tend to be rightfully harsh on AS, actually. Have you seen any of the commentary on the QX pilot staffing issue?

I've heard various stories of what happened behind the scenes in the DL split, but not a single one of them has involved AS saying "nah, we just don't like you anymore."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.