Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Still some bugs to be worked out. Multi segment itinerary- one segment wants to charge for Preferred seats, the rest don't.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I was able to select both seats on a multi leg journey
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:14 am

I have two flights in late nov/early dec. Both purchased through AS, one has MP number the other Elevate, both seating charts now fully greyed out.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Someone more familiar with the VX upgrade process feel free to correct me, but as I understand it, you have two options....have yourself added to the auto-upgrade list and it may process the upgrade automatically at your upgrade window (although you may get a middle seat and separated from any companions if they are on separate PNRs) or you can call at your upgrade window and ask to be upgraded if there are upgrade seats available. Since my wife is traveling with me on another PNR and she is also elite and upgrade eligible, my plan is to call at T-24 and see if there are two MCS seats together. Either way involves a call to VX center so make sure you block out enough time for that, especially if you have to hang up and call again.
Someone needs to check if this will work at online check-in. Hopefully, if it sees your AS status, then it should allow you to upgrade for $0? The VX agent I spoke to claimed it should...

From VX forum FAQ:

Q: Can you get a standby upgrade to Main Cabin Select?

A: Yes. If there are seats available 24 hours or less before departure, you can upgrade at check-in (including OLCI) or prior to check-in. The charge for upgrading depends on the flight distance: 849 miles or less is $39, 850-1499 miles is $69, and 1500 miles or more is $129.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
VX upgrades for MVP Gold

I was unaware that VX had implemented the upgrades already as there was still no mention of a date on either the VX or AS websites. I've never been a fan of the VX econ. product especially since the service has never been great (they never deliver the free products from the on-screen ordering) and after 9 years as an Elevate member I expected a cramped flight to the east coast earlier this week.

So I was pleasantly surprised to get an upgrade. On the way out, a gate agent came on board, asked if I was gold, confirmed my name and then told me he was sorry but "he had to upgrade me to First Class". It was bulkhead but the legroom was way better than AS and the food was excellent. I was mentally prepared to return in cattle class but was again surprised to get an upgrade, this time to MCS at the gate.

Now that it seems I can request an upgrade at T-24, I'll try this next week----strange because I had an issue with checking-in on the return flight (it wouldn't let me change seats) and the VX agent never mentioned it to me when I called at T-24. Either she didn't know that I was MVP Gold, didn't care or just quietly put me on the list. But it's good that we are finally getting something. And MCS is definitely FC lite (great selection of snacks and alcoholic drinks) just missing the bigger pitch and seat width of FC.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Let us know how it goes! Good luck!
She was upgraded automatically to MCS at T-24, and got an aisle seat.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by manico
I was unaware that VX had implemented the upgrades already as there was still no mention of a date on either the VX or AS websites. I've never been a fan of the VX econ. product especially since the service has never been great (they never deliver the free products from the on-screen ordering) and after 9 years as an Elevate member I expected a cramped flight to the east coast earlier this week.

So I was pleasantly surprised to get an upgrade. On the way out, a gate agent came on board, asked if I was gold, confirmed my name and then told me he was sorry but "he had to upgrade me to First Class". It was bulkhead but the legroom was way better than AS and the food was excellent. I was mentally prepared to return in cattle class but was again surprised to get an upgrade, this time to MCS at the gate.

Now that it seems I can request an upgrade at T-24, I'll try this next week----strange because I had an issue with checking-in on the return flight (it wouldn't let me change seats) and the VX agent never mentioned it to me when I called at T-24. Either she didn't know that I was MVP Gold, didn't care or just quietly put me on the list. But it's good that we are finally getting something. And MCS is definitely FC lite (great selection of snacks and alcoholic drinks) just missing the bigger pitch and seat width of FC.
Congrats!

How full was the main cabin and MCS?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Intersting to see this on one of my reservations. The flight isn't for a couple of weeks and it doesn't apply as I am in F, but interesting nonetheless.
Attached Images  
channa likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I have my first VX flight on Monday ex-SEA with 0 seats occupied in F and 0 in MCS. Hoping for some sort of upgrade If on AS, it would be a no brainer into F...
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I'm flying on a quickie DEN-SFO-DEN on Tuesday; I had aisles in rows 18/19 going and returning; this morning AS app and website showed no better seats; I logged on to the VX site and was able to change to aisles in rows 6/5 going and coming. Very excited as the fare was dirt cheap ($130 R/T). Can I assume that upgrading to MCS or F would be available at T-24 instead of T-6?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by Kurt
I'm flying on a quickie DEN-SFO-DEN on Tuesday; I had aisles in rows 18/19 going and returning; this morning AS app and website showed no better seats; I logged on to the VX site and was able to change to aisles in rows 6/5 going and coming. Very excited as the fare was dirt cheap ($130 R/T). Can I assume that upgrading to MCS or F would be available at T-24 instead of T-6?
This in encouraging

Originally did you book via AS site or VX site?

Have a trip to FLL in two weeks, need to book. VX has a better connection for my return... But my VX experiences have been sh*tty to date due to their seat selection policy towards AS members.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Finkface
Intersting to see this on one of my reservations. The flight isn't for a couple of weeks and it doesn't apply as I am in F, but interesting nonetheless.
I have seen the same thing on our last 3 flights, I think i first saw it for our July 5 flight.
It just made me laugh...
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:55 pm

(Duplicate)

Last edited by Kurt; Aug 28, 2017 at 12:51 pm
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by BarryL
This in encouraging

Originally did you book via AS site or VX site?
I booked on the AS site.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: AA, BD, SPG, Hilton
Two things I noticed when checking in just now for my flight tomorrow morning:
1) It still wants to charge me $39 for SFO-SAN MCE. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how these seats are released at check-in for elites?
2) It does recognize my status, as my BP now says MVP GOLD 75K on the both top next to the PreCheck logo, and again where they print the ffp.

Update:
3) Got a paper BP printed at the airport since I'm still having trouble getting flights credited. Paper BP for whatever reason is not synced and does not recognize status or anything - still showed Group B, no status printed, no indication of Priority.

Last edited by CIVET FIVE; Aug 28, 2017 at 7:21 am Reason: adding #3 from the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.