Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Link to Official AS Blog Post

Major points from this thread and from missydarlin:

• Effective Jan 1, 2018, domestic AA-marketed flights will not earn any Mileage Plan miles. AS-marketed, AA-operated codeshares will continue to earn AS miles at the AS earning rate (ie a minimum of one mile earned per mile flown). Domestic flights marketed by other partners (eg BA) and operated by AA will no longer earn AS miles. Post-Jan 1 flights booked prior to Jul 6, 2017 may be submitted for mileage credit.
  • International AA flights (including US-Canada and US-Mexico) will continue to earn AS miles. Domestic AA flights which connect to international flights will not earn miles. It will remain impossible to book international AA-operated flights through Alaska to get an AS codeshare or an AS-operated domestic feeder flight.
  • Reciprocal elite status benefits (waived checked bag fees, preferred/MCE seat assignments, priority boarding) between AA and AS go away Jan 1, 2018. Seat assignments made prior to Jan 1 for post-Jan 1 flights will remain.
  • The reciprocal lounge access arrangment between AA and AS will not change.
  • AA will remain a mileage redemption partner of AS with only relatively minor tweaks to the award chart (some increases, some decreases).

Link to share your feedback with Alaska Airlines:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback

Discussion in the American Airlines forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I would think Delta's policy is more applicable than a foreign airline:
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...rge-rules.html
It's not specifically about policy, but how to determine what is the MSC under the IATA rule (when that applies, either as a non-US origination/termination or when the first marketing carrier on a US originating/terminating ticket chooses to apply the IATA MSC rule). DL glosses it over as "generally the first international operating carrier" whereas NZ gives a more detailed explanation. It's the same rule and same term and DL is using those same rules when they apply the IATA rule.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
It's not specifically about policy, but how to determine what is the MSC under the IATA rule (when that applies, either as a non-US origination/termination or when the first marketing carrier on a US originating/terminating ticket chooses to apply the IATA MSC rule). DL glosses it over as "generally the first international operating carrier" whereas NZ gives a more detailed explanation. It's the same rule and same term and DL is using those same rules when they apply the IATA rule.
The issue is technically it is Alaska's choice. But Alaska isn't the one collecting the bag fees in the very beginning.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I would leave you AA FF# on the reservation for the check baggage waiver and then either in the Lounge or at the gate have an agent change it to your AS FF#. Even when they change your FF#, AA still retains theirs in the record. Request that the AA FF# also be removed. My experience is that if the AA FF# isn't removed, automatic credit to AS may be hindered.

James
Cool, thanks. What if I get upgraded though? Would the agent balk at removing my AA number?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Actually I thought it is most significant carrier? Technically AS has the longer segment. But I do not think AA will understand (and sometimes it is defined as marketing carrier for first international segment)
Most significant carrier is definitely not relevant for status based waivers. Ticketed bag allowance is different than fee waivers.

I had missed that you also have AA status. Given that, James is right, have the AA FF# in when you check in with AA; that’s how you’ll get the fee waived.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Cool, thanks. What if I get upgraded though? Would the agent balk at removing my AA number?
My understanding is yes. And I think technically they are supposed to balk at removing it if you’ve used any status benefits including bag fee waivers or seat selection. Not sure how strict they are in practice or even what the rules are there.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:55 pm

The issue is technically it is Alaska's choice. But Alaska isn't the one collecting the bag fees in the very beginning.
When the AA check in agent pulls up your ticket, it will show on there which rules & fees apply. Of course, you can always get an agent who won't look further if their computer pops up something different initially.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: AS 75k
Anybody know how benefits work on code-share flights? Have a flight coming up from Canada, operated by AA but marketed by AS, connecting to AS flight. If I have my AS number will I get my free checked bags on checkin?
Currently I have my AA number on there to get my benefits, but I would like to credit it to AS but not sure how AA will respond on Canada.
(I have status on both AA and AS)
I would put my AS # in the reservation and then ask the AA Twitter team to put my AA # in the AA segment ONLY, making sure that they don't touch the AS # in the overall reservation or in the AS segment. I've done this a number of times and while AA usually initially responds that they can't do it, when I tell them I've done it before, they research it (probably asked a more experienced AA agent) and reply that it's done. You get your elite (or credit card) seat selection, baggage allowance, priority check-in, and boarding. I don't think it gets you on the upgrade list anymore, although I'm pretty sure it used to a few years ago. And all of the segments ended up being credited to AS without my doing anything further.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:53 am

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/on...|20200213_AW||

We are partnering with American Airlines to expand our global reach––connecting the West Coast to the rest of the world in a remarkable way. Our Global Partner network has always provided guests with the opportunity to go global, but today, we are proud to strengthen our relationship with American Airlines and, in Summer 2021, plan to join the oneworld alliance. This means traveling on Alaska, American or a oneworld partner will feel like one connected travel experience––no matter who or where you fly.
safari ari likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by sergent
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/on...|20200213_AW||

We are partnering with American Airlines to expand our global reach––connecting the West Coast to the rest of the world in a remarkable way. Our Global Partner network has always provided guests with the opportunity to go global, but today, we are proud to strengthen our relationship with American Airlines and, in Summer 2021, plan to join the oneworld alliance. This means traveling on Alaska, American or a oneworld partner will feel like one connected travel experience––no matter who or where you fly.
WOW, did not see that coming. Definitely going to reevaluate my status on both airlines now.

Side thought: any implication on non-OW partners, like SQ, for AS?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:08 am

Too early to tell but I would imagine LATAM and SQ will no longer be partners in the long run.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Wonder if this means a change to AS miles earning/redemption as well if they are back to partnering with AA.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
Wonder if this means a change to AS miles earning/redemption as well if they are back to partnering with AA.
I really hope the ffp remains unscathed...
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
This is exactly what I'm worried about. However, Im impressed with the move overall.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I don't see how it could. Why would AA go back to allowing their pax who don't meet revenue minimums to get back door elite status on AS? Unless things are worse at AA than they've been letting on.

I also wonder what this means for network expansion/contraction for both sides. This points to less contention in the future, which doesn't match up with what's been happening previously.
ukinny2000 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:43 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel

I also wonder what this means for network expansion/contraction for both sides. This points to less contention in the future, which doesn't match up with what's been happening previously.
As AA EXP, AS MVP Gold (really just for the free cancellation ) and BA Silver, this changes everything.

Still, in the back of my mind is that thought: why would two airlines with large (and relatively large) domestic footprints join the same alliance? One thought is possible future acquisition. Don't get me wrong, as EXP, I do like AA, but AS have some unique qualities that I would not want to see go away. Anyway, more than likely wrong

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Feb 13, 2020 at 9:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.