Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Link to Official AS Blog Post

Major points from this thread and from missydarlin:

• Effective Jan 1, 2018, domestic AA-marketed flights will not earn any Mileage Plan miles. AS-marketed, AA-operated codeshares will continue to earn AS miles at the AS earning rate (ie a minimum of one mile earned per mile flown). Domestic flights marketed by other partners (eg BA) and operated by AA will no longer earn AS miles. Post-Jan 1 flights booked prior to Jul 6, 2017 may be submitted for mileage credit.
  • International AA flights (including US-Canada and US-Mexico) will continue to earn AS miles. Domestic AA flights which connect to international flights will not earn miles. It will remain impossible to book international AA-operated flights through Alaska to get an AS codeshare or an AS-operated domestic feeder flight.
  • Reciprocal elite status benefits (waived checked bag fees, preferred/MCE seat assignments, priority boarding) between AA and AS go away Jan 1, 2018. Seat assignments made prior to Jan 1 for post-Jan 1 flights will remain.
  • The reciprocal lounge access arrangment between AA and AS will not change.
  • AA will remain a mileage redemption partner of AS with only relatively minor tweaks to the award chart (some increases, some decreases).

Link to share your feedback with Alaska Airlines:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback

Discussion in the American Airlines forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have an itinerary whose first segment is AS and second segment is AA -- but the ticket was bought on AS website and the AA segment has an AS flight number.

I know that I will get partner mile credit to AS for the AA segment.

But that doesn't do me much good.

Is it possible to credit the first segment to AS per usual, but at the second airport ask to change my AA flight to my AA number?
You’re really asking in the wrong forum because your question is about AAdvantage earning. But if the flight has an AS flight number, it will not earn AA credit even if operated by AA.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
To reticket as an AA marketed flight would require repricing and issuance of a new ticket, normally.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:19 pm

Sorry about bumping an old thread, but I was trying to determine if AA's JFK-LAX route can still be booked using Alaska miles. My google searching suggests the answer is no, but I don't understand why not? The Wiki in this thread doesn't appear to address the question. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Sorry about bumping an old thread, but I was trying to determine if AA's JFK-LAX route can still be booked using Alaska miles. My google searching suggests the answer is no, but I don't understand why not? The Wiki in this thread doesn't appear to address the question. Thanks!
Of course you can. Alaska airlines website certainly shows AA flights as award options. Like most airlines however, AA will likely withhold more seats for their own frequent flyers however.

Jiburi
eponymous_coward and iluvdoco like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Domestic AA First Class on three class aircraft is unavailable on an AS award. No chart published for that cabin.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
Like most airlines however, AA will likely withhold more seats for their own frequent flyers however.
Does AA do that? I've not heard of them restricting SAAver space to their own members. What AA does do to both their own members and (I assume) partners is use married segment logic to control availability; the fact that AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are each available does not mean AAA-BBB-CCC on the same flights is available, and the fact that AAA-BBB-CCC is available does not mean AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are available.

Of course, AAnytime awards (with last seat availability and sky-high and variable pricing) are only available to AAdvantage members.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
You can in business class (not in first, as mentioned above). Availability will be poor however, especially if you book between JFK-LAX only (as opposed to with a connection to somewhere else as a married segment). The AA forum has plenty of discussion on the poor availability.

Originally Posted by jiburi
Of course you can. Alaska airlines website certainly shows AA flights as award options. Like most airlines however, AA will likely withhold more seats for their own frequent flyers however.

Jiburi
Originally Posted by ashill
Does AA do that? I've not heard of them restricting SAAver space to their own members. What AA does do to both their own members and (I assume) partners is use married segment logic to control availability; the fact that AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are each available does not mean AAA-BBB-CCC on the same flights is available, and the fact that AAA-BBB-CCC is available does not mean AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are available.

Of course, AAnytime awards (with last seat availability and sky-high and variable pricing) are only available to AAdvantage members.
They definitely don't withhold SAAver space from partners.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:48 pm

Thanks everyone for the help! Much appreciated.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEA737
You can in business class (not in first, as mentioned above). Availability will be poor however, especially if you book between JFK-LAX only (as opposed to with a connection to somewhere else as a married segment). The AA forum has plenty of discussion on the poor availability.

They definitely don't withhold SAAver space from partners.
They often have economy web special awards priced in miles below saaver when saaver itself is not available and therefore not accessible to partners. So yes they definitely have their way to limit partner availability.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
They often have economy web special awards priced in miles below saaver when saaver itself is not available and therefore not accessible to partners. So yes they definitely have their way to limit partner availability.
They're currently not doing web special for business so availability of business awards priced at SAAver or lower is definitely not restricted from partners. I guess you're right AA can now limit economy availability from partners though, although still doesn't mean they're limiting SAAver availability.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I guess you're right AA can now limit economy availability from partners though, although still doesn't mean they're limiting SAAver availability.
Have you tried booking an AA J international to domestic married Segment on AS? AS gets the segments but not the marriage. AA SAAver J & J while AS can book International Y connecting to domestic J (3 cabin) at the same SAAver level.

The flights were bookable on QF. Is married segments a way to limit SAAver premium cabin redemptions from AS?

James
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Have you tried booking an AA J international to domestic married Segment on AS? AS gets the segments but not the marriage. AA SAAver J & J while AS can book International Y connecting to domestic J (3 cabin) at the same SAAver level.

The flights were bookable on QF. Is married segments a way to limit SAAver premium cabin redemptions from AS?

James
I'm not sure I follow. Assuming AAA->BBB->CCC is a married segment on AA in J, you should be able to book that plus CCC->DDD with the new segment being in AS. Is that what it wouldn't let you do?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure I follow. Assuming AAA->BBB->CCC is a married segment on AA in J, you should be able to book that plus CCC->DDD with the new segment being in AS. Is that what it wouldn't let you do?
Absolutely! The AS CCC-DDD after a stopover was what I wanted, however the married AAA-BBB-CCC on AA was not available to book on AS. AA's fare bucket for the married segments was available to book on AA at the SAAver level. Looking at the segments individually on AA, AAA-BBB was not available in J and BBB-CCC was. That is exactly what was available on AS. So, the AA SAAver segments matched on AS, the married segments were not available to AS.

James
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Absolutely! The AS CCC-DDD after a stopover was what I wanted, however the married AAA-BBB-CCC on AA was not available to book on AS. AA's fare bucket for the married segments was available to book on AA at the SAAver level. Looking at the segments individually on AA, AAA-BBB was not available in J and BBB-CCC was. That is exactly what was available on AS. So, the AA SAAver segments matched on AS, the married segments were not available to AS.
I've seen evidence that AS's booking algorithm does not do a good job (or have the capability?) of dealing with married segment logic restricting AA award inventory. Though it's a bit of an academic point to a customer who just wants to book the d*** flight, that's different than AA deliberately blocking SAAver award inventory so that it's available to AA members but not AS members.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.