FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:59 pm
SEA737

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Sorry about bumping an old thread, but I was trying to determine if AA's JFK-LAX route can still be booked using Alaska miles. My google searching suggests the answer is no, but I don't understand why not? The Wiki in this thread doesn't appear to address the question. Thanks!
You can in business class (not in first, as mentioned above). Availability will be poor however, especially if you book between JFK-LAX only (as opposed to with a connection to somewhere else as a married segment). The AA forum has plenty of discussion on the poor availability.

Originally Posted by jiburi
Of course you can. Alaska airlines website certainly shows AA flights as award options. Like most airlines however, AA will likely withhold more seats for their own frequent flyers however.

Jiburi
Originally Posted by ashill
Does AA do that? I've not heard of them restricting SAAver space to their own members. What AA does do to both their own members and (I assume) partners is use married segment logic to control availability; the fact that AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are each available does not mean AAA-BBB-CCC on the same flights is available, and the fact that AAA-BBB-CCC is available does not mean AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are available.

Of course, AAnytime awards (with last seat availability and sky-high and variable pricing) are only available to AAdvantage members.
They definitely don't withhold SAAver space from partners.