Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I've never minded the SEA layover but now with the QX uncertainty, I can't really utilise the SEA layovers anymore. I've done SFO layovers but only if I have to and I reserve those occasions for connections to intercontinental flights.
The only real option we have to show our displeasure is to walk to other airlines, but right now Alaska may be relieved that we walk and make their rebooking challenges less. The bottom line is long term we're not as important to Alaska as is the potential customer in SFO. That's reality. Maybe it's a good business decision - but its bad for customers in PDX and its bad for us overall. All those years of good business goodwill are thrown out the window.

I have opened up my flight search and I am flying Southwest and United much more in the coming months. Screw Alaska, and screw Brad Tilden. Tilden needs to feel the wrath and I will put my two cents in. Notice how the former Alaska employees that used to frequently comment here - they're long gone - they don't want to feel this wrath.

It's a great opening for someone to come in and steal traffic. Let's all give the others a chance.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I keep expecting it to come and it hasn't yet. Hopefully Sunday. We're getting close to one month out. For the flights I have booked I'd like to know if they're happening. For others I haven't booked yet, pricing has been abnormally high and static; I suspect they may be cancelled or changed.
Yeah, you can kind of tell when you look at a day of PDX-SEA flights and almost all are around $90, but a couple are $249 with a completely open seat map that something is up.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I keep expecting it to come and it hasn't yet. Hopefully Sunday. We're getting close to one month out. For the flights I have booked I'd like to know if they're happening. For others I haven't booked yet, pricing has been abnormally high and static; I suspect they may be cancelled or changed.
Welcome to the Brad Tilden Screw Job. Bottom line is that you gotta look around at what your options are with this silly mess Tilden has steered into. We gotta find a way put the heat on this man to start doing a better job.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
I don't need to fly to Seattle to go somewhere. I can take a competitor on a non-stop flight if I need to. Why do I need to take PDX-SEA-MCI? or PDX-SEA-STL I can go non-stop on Southwest? I can also make it to Denver on Southwest. I can make it to the Bay Area, San Diego, Dallas, Chicago and many other places I go. If I need to change airplanes I might as well change in a place that makes sense rather than fly out of my way to Seattle?

I also do not like the AA and DL changes. We had much of America covered before, this Virgin Air thing is just bullsh** for existing customers.

So yes, it is the Great PDX screw job by Brad Tilton.

A good marketing campaign by Southwest could net some good business out of Portland. A lot of us don't like the seating game on Southwest, but I will tell you this - 95% of the time I will take a nonstpp flight versus a change flight. Time is money.
I am actually just the opposite....I would gladly take PDX-SEA-MCI over PDX-MCI for a number of reasons...#1...More EQMs/RDMs....#2 The lounge options in SEA for PP are pretty decent and I'm in love with the Buffalo pasta salad at the Centurion Lounge....#3 I enjoy flying and traveling in general...yeah, time is money but only during my work hours which are totally separate from my travel (ie, hobby) time....this IS Flyertalk, right?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I am actually just the opposite....I would gladly take PDX-SEA-MCI over PDX-MCI for a number of reasons...#1...More EQMs/RDMs....#2 The lounge options in SEA for PP are pretty decent and I'm in love with the Buffalo pasta salad at the Centurion Lounge....#3 I enjoy flying and traveling in general...yeah, time is money but only during my work hours which are totally separate from my travel (ie, hobby) time....this IS Flyertalk, right?
I'd rather hang out with the kids and do leisurely activities rather than sit in a connecting airport. Each their own, this is why the USA is great.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:01 am

Looks like Nov changes are in. I've only gone over PDX-SEA, but it seems like QX has kept more of the flights than in Oct and even have a couple of their E75's in the mix.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Asquared1
Looks like Nov changes are in. I've only gone over PDX-SEA, but it seems like QX has kept more of the flights than in Oct and even have a couple of their E75's in the mix.
Weird update. PDX-OAK and PDX-SMF are 2x 737 Dec 1-14 but at their default 3/4x Q400 before and after.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
only trust schedules 90 days out. Everything else is just a place holder.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:18 am

In Nov PDX - SEA #2286 @2130 is sandwiched between two same route flights 15-20 minutes before/after. Priced at $249 every instance. What's with that? Is it set aside for some type of connection or is it just there as a spare that they can open up later (at a realistic price) if they need the seats or cxl? All other flights are in the $90 territory.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Asquared1
In Nov PDX - SEA #2286 @2130 is sandwiched between two same route flights 15-20 minutes before/after. Priced at $249 every instance. What's with that? Is it set aside for some type of connection or is it just there as a spare that they can open up later (at a realistic price) if they need the seats or cxl? All other flights are in the $90 territory.
I suspect we'll see more changes/corrections/cancellations. SEA-PDX has two bookable flights at 3:42pm for several days in November, one each QX and OO. Some of the E75s also don't show F available - not sure if that's an error or placeholder in case a Q400 gets subbed.

I don't feel like I can rely on the schedule for SEA-PDX and vice versa - and that's kinda one of the points of a "shuttle" in the first place.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
I suspect we'll see more changes/corrections/cancellations.

I don't feel like I can rely on the schedule for SEA-PDX and vice versa - and that's kinda one of the points of a "shuttle" in the first place.
Sadly you can't rely on any QX schedule anywhere. Had a flight last week EWR-SEA-YKM. Three days out the SEA-YKM cancelled. I had to rebook with a wonderful five hour layover in Seattle, and ended up getting home nine hours after my original flight time. I followed up on "Alaska (used to) Listens" and got a note back "sorry" and that's about it.

Apparently cancellations are so common now they don't even bother with compensation.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Sadly you can't rely on any QX schedule anywhere. Had a flight last week EWR-SEA-YKM. Three days out the SEA-YKM cancelled. I had to rebook with a wonderful five hour layover in Seattle, and ended up getting home nine hours after my original flight time. I followed up on "Alaska (used to) Listens" and got a note back "sorry" and that's about it.

Apparently cancellations are so common now they don't even bother with compensation.
Welcome to the Brad Tilden Screw Job going on. There's not a whole lot of love going on from Alaska; we're all just royally screwed. My next five flights are on Southwest. They'll get me there - and if something goes wrong I can connect through a half a dozen cities. I give up some stuff, but I know I can get to each of the five in a non-stop flight without a 9 hr delay as you note.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Had my YEG-SEA QX cancelled Nov11 and the agent offered me a Westjet to Palm Springs and a CNX up to SFO on Virgin America. This is on an award! I’d say that’s pretty good service given I leave later and arrive earlier and likely will score some miles as well
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsguyrus

Hey I didn't even get the politeness of a reply to my Alaska (doesn't) Listens note. Even a we're sorry would have been better than just being ignored. Sure hope someone wakes management up before permanent damage is done (they're getting close from where I stand).
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Hey I didn't even get the politeness of a reply to my Alaska (doesn't) Listens note. Even a we're sorry would have been better than just being ignored. Sure hope someone wakes management up before permanent damage is done (they're getting close from where I stand).
Apparently the don't listen, or care. The damage has been done as far as I'm concerned - after two cancelled flights that cost me serious credibility with a client, they just cancelled flights I booked for my kids to come visit. Ruined a business relationship and a treasured family event.

I have been 75K for several years and have always loved this airline - between this and the way that AK crapped on us with the Virgin fiasco, I'm done. Have requested a status match from Delta, who I hate, and I hope they don't treat their loyal customers like AK has come to find acceptable. Done with Alaska Airlines, sadly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.