Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
AS2318 for 10/6 isn't in Expert Flyer either.
AS pulled the Friday flight off their on line schedule for this week, but I see it there for the next two weeks. Seems kindy of sketchy if they are pulling it off the schedule one day out and acting like it was never there.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Asquared1
AS pulled the Friday flight off their on line schedule for this week, but I see it there for the next two weeks. Seems kindy of sketchy if they are pulling it off the schedule one day out and acting like it was never there.
I wonder if it shows up in their reported cancellations? Which brings up another question- do QX cancellations get rolled up into AS stats or reported separately?

ETA: Nope, and not reported separately in BTS' ontime reports either. Maybe reported elsewhere?
Attached Images  
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't believe QX is large enough to be listed in Table 8 of the Air Travel Consumer Report.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...ember-atcr.pdf

EXPRESSJET
SPIRIT
JETBLUE
AMERICAN
SKYWEST
UNITED
SOUTHWEST
FRONTIER
ALASKA
VIRGIN AMERICA
HAWAIIAN
DELTA
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:56 pm

If the flight was on the schedule within 7 days of departure, it is counted as a canceled flight per DOT standards. According to flightaware, Horizon does not have any cancelled flights today and I don't see any on the pdx or sea airport site either.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
What's most annoying to me is that they actually told him (Tuesday night or Wednesday, so well within 7 days prior to departure) that the cancellation was due to the pilot shortage at QX - which was good info to share since it's pretty common knowledge by now - but then to completely remove it as if it never existed seems a bit shady to me. It's not showing up at all as "cancelled" at EUG - it just isn't there. However, it's listed as daily on EUG's printed departure schedule for October and is bookable next Friday.

I'm not sure how anybody can trust booking with AS on QX flights if you really have no clue that what you are booking actually exists at any given moment (maybe SEA-PDX). This was a minor problem/annoyance for us, but just from reading this thread it's obviously critical to many of you in smaller stations who need to connect at AS hubs.

Last edited by flatdawgs; Oct 6, 2017 at 11:59 am Reason: corrected typo
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
had an upcoming December flight SJC-LAX switch from QX to OO over the weekend on the schedule change roll out, timing didn't change at all...hopefully this will help insulate us from problems as we are trying to connect to LTO
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by flatdawgs
What's most annoying to me is that they actually told him (Tuesday night or Wednesday, so well within 7 days prior to departure) that the cancellation was due to the pilot shortage at QX - which was good info to share since it's pretty common knowledge by now - but then to completely remove it as if it never existed seems a bit shady to me. It's not showing up at all as "cancelled" at EUG - it just isn't there. However, it's listed as daily on EUG's printed departure schedule for October and is bookable next Friday.

I'm not sure how anybody can trust booking with AS on QX flights if you really have no clue that what you are booking actually exists at any given moment (maybe SEA-PDX). This was a minor problem/annoyance for us, but just from reading this thread it's obviously critical to many of you in smaller stations who need to connect at AS hubs.
It's definitely worrisome. I have an international connection next month through SEA with a PDX-SEA connection. I check it daily at this point. I realize that there is enough frequency that even if this flight disappears I'll probably be OK, but I'm paranoid enough that I want to keep on top of it. It has changed twice in last few months, last one was just a flight number change as it rolled for QX to OO. It was somewhat of a relief to get off QX, but nothing is 100% in this game.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
There’s a post on a.net indicating that Compass is hiring for a Spokane flight attendant base. Strictly conjecture at this point, but one would have to wonder if AS might be looking at them to backfill the Horizon mess.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
There’s a post on a.net indicating that Compass is hiring for a Spokane flight attendant base. Strictly conjecture at this point, but one would have to wonder if AS might be looking at them to backfill the Horizon mess.
Doesn't Compass also fly for American Eagle?

Link to the post? Compass currently has FA job openings for PDX, SEA, & GEG and upcoming info sessions in all three cities for FAs plus ones for pilots in Seattle, Spokane, & Anchorage.

http://newton.newtonsoftware.com/car...&source=Indeed

https://tockify.com/compassevents/agenda
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

Link to the post? Compass currently has FA job openings for PDX, SEA, & GEG and upcoming info sessions in all three cities for FAs plus ones for pilots in Seattle, Spokane, & Anchorage.

Compass operates for both DL and AA
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:08 pm

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...?f=3&t=1375671
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:12 pm

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Compass operates for both DL and AA
Maybe with Alaska taking its eye off the ball in its core market opens up some possibilities for competitors to sweep in and pick up some business.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by flatdawgs
My brother's coming up from EUG to SEA for the weekend, and was just informed that the 7:14pm departure (QX 2318) tomorrow has been cancelled. They rebooked him on Delta's flight departing 5:11pm. No word as to whether his return flight Sunday pm is still on. Fortunately for him he has flexibility at work, but having to put passengers on the competition cannot be a good thing for AS. I'll probably have to let him know about requesting original routing credit....
Ok, this is almost too funny to be true... Alaska flew an empty 738 EUG-SEA as AS9723 this afternoon. Repositioning after flying the Cougs down for tomorrow's game.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:46 am

Oh boy...

http://www.mailtribune.com/news/2017...rations-public

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.