Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I'll keep an eye out for it - it wasn't showing when I looked for alternate flights on, so was probably already fully booked. The morning PDX-BUR flight would be really nice for me if it wasn't cancelled, because I can stay they full sunday in PDX and get to work at a reasonable time on monday morning.
Yeah, this is the problem with the new AS schedule. The earliest PDX-BUR flight is too late to get in to work in the morning (I think it's now a 10am departure?). We used to occasionally take the 6am from PDX, which is now gone.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Asquared1
Been watching flight status on the PDX Airport site the last couple weeks. There usually is a few QX cancellations, but today looks like a bloodbath. Are these same day cancellations or are they flights that may have been cancelled weeks ago?
The pre-canceled flights still show up on the monitor. Though there do seem to be a lot today...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
The pre-canceled flights still show up on the monitor. Though there do seem to be a lot today...
Thanks, your right, I did some more research and found that the still active flights match the AS site flight schedule and the Cxl'ed ones don't appear on it.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buster
Yeah, this is the problem with the new AS schedule. The earliest PDX-BUR flight is too late to get in to work in the morning (I think it's now a 10am departure?). We used to occasionally take the 6am from PDX, which is now gone.
I had booked a 6:42 am non-stop that would land at 9am, letting me dial in from the car for my first meeting and get in to work by 9:30, but they switched me to an 8:30 am via SJC that would get in a little after noon, killing half the day in transit. It's a short enough flight that a 6:30 PDX-BUR and 18:30 BUR-PDX would be a very reasonable day trip for biz travel - really not that different from day trips between LA and the Bay Area.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
For those not at PDX, delays & cancellations
http://www.flypdx.com/PDX/Flights?flightstatus=DL

30+ AS flights.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:38 pm

All three PDX-OAK runs cancelled today. Sparse schedule this week - zero 6:30 am PDX departures.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Baze
I've read your post twice now. You say don't merge it into the pilot shortage thread as you have a very specific question, but other than your thread title I see no question and the thread title is directly related to the pilot shortage thread. So what is your specific question that warrants its own thread?
OP doesn't want it dismissed as "just another complaint" in a thread that has close to 400 replies
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
For those not at PDX, delays & cancellations
http://www.flypdx.com/PDX/Flights?flightstatus=DL

30+ AS flights.
Wow. What's up?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
OP doesn't want it dismissed as "just another complaint" in a thread that has close to 400 replies
That doesn't help. Trying to figure out what their specific question is.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Do we know how much longer pilot shortages -> flight cancellations will continue?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
If DL came back to town I would have to seriously consider them.
I think this is the key here. Horizon has had a lot of routes that didn't have any competition. But when flyers have a choice, the current Horizon issues with cuts and cancellations are making competitors look like better alternatives.

6 months ago, from MFR Horizon was the only airline that flew to PDX, SEA, and LAX. Now American is flying to LAX (and Horizon isn't!), and Delta's first flight from SEA lands this evening. Delta has already loaded a 2nd daily MFR-SEA to start next summer.

"But we'll always have PDX!" is a pretty lousy rallying cry.

Alaska isn't used to having to compete in these Horizon markets, and it's not going well for them.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:23 pm

Hi -

Nothing official from AS / QX (which is appalling -- I think most people know to be honest and upfront about bad news to their customers), but everybody says it will be many months before things start to get corrected.

I would expect a lot of cancellations in early-mid November so the Thanksgiving schedule can be maintained. Ditto in early-mid December for Christmas / New Years.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Do we know how much longer pilot shortages -> flight cancellations will continue?
Alaska chief executive Brad Tilden said during an industry conference on 6 September that Horizon's pilot woes are likely to continue to the middle or end of 2018.

Hard to tell from the outside if/when things begin to turn around vs. normal reduced winter schedule without AS providing concrete info. I take the quote as optimistic if things go right and a lot of things could continue to go south. Attracting new pilots for a net increase as routes/destinations/E175 deliveries are cut and souring workplace/union-company relationship for one...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
All three PDX-OAK runs cancelled today. Sparse schedule this week - zero 6:30 am PDX departures.
Last week when we checked our bags at OAK I noticed a canceled OAK-PDX flight on the monitor and asked the agent about it. Poor guy just shook his head. Must be hard on the frontline staff.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Article from OregonLive today seems a bit optimistic in calling for relief by end of year:

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/ind...art_river_home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.