Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC, Mileage Plus, Aeroplan, SPG
Hey guys- I"m sure someone would have asked at some point, but i can't find the answer anywhere.

If I book an Alaska redemption for CX, but my booking goes as follows: YVR -> JFK, ORD ->HKG, HKG->DXB
Will this be considered one redemption from Canada to Middle east? or will it become two redemptions: Canada to US and then US to Middle East as a result of the JFK/ORD swap?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by aba_bab
Hey guys- I"m sure someone would have asked at some point, but i can't find the answer anywhere.

If I book an Alaska redemption for CX, but my booking goes as follows: YVR -> JFK, ORD ->HKG, HKG->DXB
Will this be considered one redemption from Canada to Middle east? or will it become two redemptions: Canada to US and then US to Middle East as a result of the JFK/ORD swap?
The latter. You're not allowed to break the trip like that on a single award except at coterminals--e.g., arriving at NRT and departing from HND if you're on a JL award. Even besides that, that's a whole lot of backtracking within North America that I doubt AS would allow on one award.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

Its two awards either way. It doesn't matter of its JFK-HKG or ORD-HKG
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith

Dont get
If they're valuable but priced according to their market value then I don't expect to see snapping up (snapping up also happens with mistake fares).

Furthermore I believe Choice/Tailored is CX's attempt to market price more valuable award to its own members.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_clearing

I’d assume that CX thinks the flexibility of the Choice/Tailored awards (presumably more available) increases the market value. A business class ticket you can obtain whenever you need it is more valuable (will have a higher demand) that one that can only be obtained 330 days in advance of departure.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:30 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
A business class ticket you can obtain whenever you need it is more valuable (will have a higher demand) that one that can only be obtained 330 days in advance of departure.
True. But market pricing the greater-availability buckets does not preclude the 330 day buckets are not currently underpriced.

However I add two observations that limit how far my underpricing argument goes:

1. It is not just AS who accesses at 330 but AA and CA Phoenixmiles also;

2. Over at the AA thread we just observed that since CX announced AM changes, max J availability on any one CX NA flight seems to be two irrespective of whether is it AA or AM miles that are used for redemption.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
True. My assumption is that CX knows more about demand for its product than I do and can make rational decisions. But that could be overly optimistic.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC, Mileage Plus, Aeroplan, SPG
Originally Posted by CDKing
Its two awards either way. It doesn't matter of its JFK-HKG or ORD-HKG
Thanks guys - as I thought.

What surprises me is what you both say about it being considered 2 redemptions even if departure was JFK. I thought I had read datapoints where this was possible. I could be wrong I guess.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC, AAdvantage, AMEX Plat
Changing a mileage plan award ticket on CX

I have an AS booked award ticket on CX metal from NYC-HKG. I wanted to see how much it might cost me to change my flight on the same flight to first class besides the additional miles. I am super confused with the alaska website, and all the recent changes. Any help would be truly appreciated.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by chintanshah123
I have an AS booked award ticket on CX metal from NYC-HKG. I wanted to see how much it might cost me to change my flight on the same flight to first class besides the additional miles. I am super confused with the alaska website, and all the recent changes. Any help would be truly appreciated.
If it is +60 days prior to travel commencing, you can change it for only the difference in miles. If it is within 60 days, you must pay $125.

If you book after today, this will be changing.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sturges
If it is +60 days prior to travel commencing, you can change it for only the difference in miles. If it is within 60 days, you must pay $125.
PLUS any additional fees & taxes! I upgraded my HKG-BOS flight segment on a JNB-HKG-BOS itinerary in February and it cost 7,500 additional Mileage Plan Miles PLUS $3.85 in additional fees and taxes.... 😁

While I have no direct experience others have said they have not been charged for a CABIN change inside 60 days.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 4, 2018 at 8:47 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
While I have no direct experience others have said they have not been charged for a CABIN change inside 60 days.
I have no relevant experience either--although I hopefully will on a JL award later this year, J space allowing--but my understanding is that AS won't charge the change fee for upgrading a segment's cabin when the award is already at that level--i.e., you booked partner flight A in J and partner flight B in F, and you're moving flight A up to F now that award space is open in that cabin. I'm not sure if they'll do the same to change cabin for an entire award.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kremmen
The introduction of the change fee is going to be an expense for those booking on Cathay who aren't in a city served directly by CX.
So, the FT arbitrageurs who load up on SPG points or Marriott travel packages or do some BofA churning in order to do Australia flying at large discounts, and who will never see the inside of a plane with an Eskimo on the tail, will be paying an extra $125, making their discount slightly less useful?

I see.

Originally Posted by jinglish
It's not just booking an AS connection that'll suck if you're not a Gold or 75K. Any HKG connections from westbound TRANSPAC flights are going to be the next day, so that'll require a subsequent call if you're booking at AS's schedule window opening. Same goes for booking a stopover in either direction.
That's probably who gets hit the most there... and a large amount of MVPs are in SEA/PDX/ANC, with no CX service.

At least out of SEA an actual coach ticket to LAX would be less than $125 most of the time...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thanks guys - as I thought.

What surprises me is what you both say about it being considered 2 redemptions even if departure was JFK. I thought I had read datapoints where this was possible. I could be wrong I guess.
If they did they got extremely lucky. If you want to fly CX award from Chicago or East, the award needs to start there.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
If they did they got extremely lucky. If you want to fly CX award from Chicago or East, the award needs to start there.
Not to mention that AS doesn't do open unflown segments of AAA-BBB//CCC-DDD where there's no flight between BBB and CCC on a single award; that would be two awards (unflown segments are not a stopover/open-jaw scenario, stopover means you go on from where the stopover happens, open jaw implies a return segment). So YVR-JFK//ORD-HKG-DXB will price as two awards for sure. (ORD and JFK are not coterminals, either- I've booked BKK-HKG(stop)-SFO//OAK-SEA on a CX award but that's only because there was a super long forced layover at SFO I could get out of by taking BART to OAK, and OAK and SFO ARE coterminals).
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
deleted, duplicate!

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 4, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.