Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 11:37 am

Thank you all for the insight!! If only expertflyer did CX...Although, the award.flights chrome extension has been a huge help as well.
While I am still a newbie, FT has been a huge help and its great to have such a helpful community.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by pointsbrah
Thank you all for the insight!! If only expertflyer did CX...Although, the award.flights chrome extension has been a huge help as well.
While I am still a newbie, FT has been a huge help and its great to have such a helpful community.
awardnexus can set up daily scans/alerts-via-email for CX awards. Will be curious what you decide. I'm heading to Bali for my 18th visit this summer, never gets old but does get crowded.

PS - never paid for a ticket, either.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
awardnexus can set up daily scans/alerts-via-email for CX awards. Will be curious what you decide. I'm heading to Bali for my 18th visit this summer, never gets old but does get crowded.

PS - never paid for a ticket, either.
Will be my first ever trip on miles and ever in Asia, so I'm excited!
Where are you staying? I am planning to do MR-SPG-Marriot travel package, and then redeem it once the new SPG hotels get added. Some really awesome options.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Not necessarily. There may be more or cheaper LCC options closer to DPS, since HKG-DPS is close to USA/CA transcon length.

i would probably use SIN or CGK. CGK is an internal flight, SIN has multiple LCCs on the route (so LOTS of cheap options) and makes a nice stopover you could incorporate into your plans.
I almost always end up defaulting to CGK when flying into Indo. It's just easier to get almost anywhere else--including DPS--than from SIN. Garuda has roughly 10 nonstop flights per day and a reasonable baggage allowance. They leave out of a new terminal which is considerably nicer than much of the rest of Jakarta's airport. But if you want to do a stopover, SIN is definitely a better choice.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:55 am

Will be my first ever trip on miles and ever in Asia, so I'm excited!
Where are you staying? I am planning to do MR-SPG-Marriot travel package, and then redeem it once the new SPG hotels get added. Some really awesome options.
Frankly, Bali is one area where I'd rather put more cash into the hands of locals, plus accommodation costs are so reasonable that it doesn't pay (for us) to fund with points.

We tend to rent villas in Ubud, Candi Dasa, Pemuteran (west coast)...but then make an exception for W Seminyak. We avoid Kuta (drunk crowd, which isn't to say I didn't hit it hard in my 20s) and Nusa Dua due its sterility. Not my place to talk you out of hotel redemptions, I've just never gotten the economics to work since I have a family of four to fund for flights from NYC. So paying for four F round-trips (or, a mix of F/J) each summer requires some fancy footwork. Alaska has been a part of our last two visits, IIRC, before that relied primarily on American (pre-devaluation) and some BA occasionally thrown in.

Jamie

PS - funding with Alaska on way out this summer, too. But Delta on return since found low-level (90k) awards on China Airlines...and given the paucity of low-level Delta awards I figured I might as well snap those up.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:17 pm

Frankly, Bali is one area where I'd rather put more cash into the hands of locals, plus accommodation costs are so reasonable that it doesn't pay (for us) to fund with points.

We tend to rent villas in Ubud, Candi Dasa, Pemuteran (west coast)...but then make an exception for W Seminyak. We avoid Kuta (drunk crowd, which isn't to say I didn't hit it hard in my 20s) and Nusa Dua due its sterility. Not my place to talk you out of hotel redemptions, I've just never gotten the economics to work since I have a family of four to fund for flights from NYC. So paying for four F round-trips (or, a mix of F/J) each summer requires some fancy footwork. Alaska has been a part of our last two visits, IIRC, before that relied primarily on American (pre-devaluation) and some BA occasionally thrown in.

Jamie

PS - funding with Alaska on way out this summer, too. But Delta on return since found low-level (90k) awards on China Airlines...and given the paucity of low-level Delta awards I figured I might as well snap those up.
Have you ever flown Eva J class? Aeroplan is a bit easier to accumulate here in Canada, so wondering given your above about just looking at Private villas it might make more sense to just do an MR-Aeroplan conversion, at least for DPS-TPE-YYZ, if availability is a bit better,
Old May 22, 2018, 12:56 pm

Have you ever flown Eva J class? Aeroplan is a bit easier to accumulate here in Canada, so wondering given your above about just looking at Private villas it might make more sense to just do an MR-Aeroplan conversion, at least for DPS-TPE-YYZ, if availability is a bit better,
I have not but people I trust have...and they swear by it. Schedule to DPS is good, you'll have about 5 hours to kill in TPE which is too long for that airport. But you'll have something like 20 hours in TPE on the way back. Which is fine if you want to see TPE. But SIN airport much better to get in/out of, and downtown SIN also much closer.

I'm transiting TPE on the return and NOT looking forward to.

EDIT - Eva requires close to 22 hours in TPE. I wouldn't be willing to cut my Bali vaca short for that!!!!
Old May 22, 2018, 1:26 pm

I have not but people I trust have...and they swear by it. Schedule to DPS is good, you'll have about 5 hours to kill in TPE which is too long for that airport. But you'll have something like 20 hours in TPE on the way back. Which is fine if you want to see TPE. But SIN airport much better to get in/out of, and downtown SIN also much closer.

I'm transiting TPE on the return and NOT looking forward to.

EDIT - Eva requires close to 22 hours in TPE. I wouldn't be willing to cut my Bali vaca short for that!!!!
Yikes... Definitely not looking for a layover like that. I think if I do Eva to YYZ ill do TPE-YYZ and make my way to TPE on a LCC.. that's as a last resort if I cant use CX.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:52 pm

Yikes... Definitely not looking for a layover like that. I think if I do Eva to YYZ ill do TPE-YYZ and make my way to TPE on a LCC.. that's as a last resort if I cant use CX.
Again, DPS to TPE on an LCC is not going to be nonstop, nor inexpensive. You seriously should take a <$120 flight to Singapore, and begin the CX award from there. It maximizes your time in DPS (if you take a pm departure) and maximizes your award value and time on Cathay.

Furthermore, if you're willing to fly BR TPEYYZ, then you are willing to get home at 10p. This would suggest you're OK with the CX flight that leaves HKG at 5p and gets home at 8:30p.

If you position to SIN the night before, you can actually take a 10:15p departure from Bali on JetStar for $65 USD. This compares to a 4:15p departure on Cathay. So all this talk about "I'll make my way to TPE on an LCC" is nonsense. The SIN option actually gives you MORE time in Bali than originating the CX award from there, plus I'm willing to bet the $65 flight to SIN is less than the hotel premium you'll have to pay in HKG versus SIN.

Seriously, if SINHKG and HKGYYZ are both available, you need to lock that down. And you realize awards are one-way, right? You don't have to fly in both directions on the same airline.

Last edited by jamienbaker; May 22, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 2:37 pm

Again, DPS to TPE on an LCC is not going to be nonstop, nor inexpensive. You seriously should take a <$120 flight to Singapore, and begin the CX award from there. It maximizes your time in DPS (if you take a pm departure) and maximizes your award value and time on Cathay.

Furthermore, if you're willing to fly BR TPEYYZ, then you are willing to get home at 10p. This would suggest you're OK with the CX flight that leaves HKG at 5p and gets home at 8:30p.

If you position to SIN the night before, you can actually take a 10:15p departure from Bali on JetStar for $65 USD. This compares to a 4:15p departure on Cathay. So all this talk about "I'll make my way to TPE on an LCC" is nonsense. The SIN option actually gives you MORE time in Bali than originating the CX award from there, plus I'm willing to bet the $65 flight to SIN is less than the hotel premium you'll have to pay in HKG versus SIN.

Seriously, if SINHKG and HKGYYZ are both available, you need to lock that down. And you realize awards are one-way, right? You don't have to fly in both directions on the same airline.

I guess this is where the newbie-ness comes in!

CX on AS it is. Ill likely only have enough MR to do MR-SPG-Marriot by July, but I'm going to keep checking award availability on the routes you mentioned above. The bright side is I am pretty flexible, so if I cant book anything by July for March 2019, ill just push the date and maybe put some alerts on as you mentioned.
Another silly question, but can I change dates for award flights without losing miles/ having to pay $ in fees or whatever?
For example, In July I don't see anything for march 2019, but I find something in June 2019 for example. I put email alerts on awardnexus for March, can I switch my flights to those dates?
Old May 22, 2018, 2:47 pm

CX on AS it is. Ill likely only have enough MR to do MR-SPG-Marriot by July, but I'm going to keep checking award availability on the routes you mentioned above. The bright side is I am pretty flexible, so if I cant book anything by July for March 2019, ill just push the date and maybe put some alerts on as you mentioned.
Another silly question, but can I change dates for award flights without losing miles/ having to pay $ in fees or whatever?
For example, In July I don't see anything for march 2019, but I find something in June 2019 for example. I put email alerts on awardnexus for March, can I switch my flights to those dates?
Somebody will need to opine on fees, there have been recent changes in that regard but I'm not familiar with them. Good luck - Jamie
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
As was stated before:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes

Effective June 5, 2018, we will be updating three of our fees and policies.
This policy update will be effective for tickets purchased or last exchanged on or after June 5, 2018.

Here’s what's changing:
  • If you change or cancel your ticket more than 60 days before departure, that change/cancellation will now be subject to a fee of $125.
So, if you ticket in the next couple of weeks, you will get ONE AND ONLY ONE free change per CX award ticket with AS. If you ticket after June 5, you get NO free changes to CX flights on an AS award without AS elite status.
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

Based on my experience, you will have a higher likelihood of getting 2J on CX for YYZHKGYYZ when you fly on a Tuesday or Wednesday. DPS HKG should not be that hard on a week day. For example I found 2J on CX for DPS HKG on a Monday next April and HKG YYZ on a Wednesday. (Two nights stop over in HK). I booked right at 330 day window though for HKG YYZ, it will be very difficult for you if you won’t have enough points until July...
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go to SIN. SIN-DPS-SIN is cheap. There are multiple LCCs fly that route. Once we flew Air Asia for $25 DPS-SIN.
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA, AS
CX on AS it is. Ill likely only have enough MR to do MR-SPG-Marriot by July, but I'm going to keep checking award availability on the routes you mentioned above.
SPG has a 35% off sale on Starpoints until 5/31 (you have to already be an SPG member). If you need less than 30k SPG (which you can transfer to 90k Marriott) this could be an option to get you there before July.
pointsbrah likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.