FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old May 22, 2018, 2:37 pm
pointsbrah

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Again, DPS to TPE on an LCC is not going to be nonstop, nor inexpensive. You seriously should take a <$120 flight to Singapore, and begin the CX award from there. It maximizes your time in DPS (if you take a pm departure) and maximizes your award value and time on Cathay.

Furthermore, if you're willing to fly BR TPEYYZ, then you are willing to get home at 10p. This would suggest you're OK with the CX flight that leaves HKG at 5p and gets home at 8:30p.

If you position to SIN the night before, you can actually take a 10:15p departure from Bali on JetStar for $65 USD. This compares to a 4:15p departure on Cathay. So all this talk about "I'll make my way to TPE on an LCC" is nonsense. The SIN option actually gives you MORE time in Bali than originating the CX award from there, plus I'm willing to bet the $65 flight to SIN is less than the hotel premium you'll have to pay in HKG versus SIN.

Seriously, if SINHKG and HKGYYZ are both available, you need to lock that down. And you realize awards are one-way, right? You don't have to fly in both directions on the same airline.

I guess this is where the newbie-ness comes in!

CX on AS it is. Ill likely only have enough MR to do MR-SPG-Marriot by July, but I'm going to keep checking award availability on the routes you mentioned above. The bright side is I am pretty flexible, so if I cant book anything by July for March 2019, ill just push the date and maybe put some alerts on as you mentioned.
Another silly question, but can I change dates for award flights without losing miles/ having to pay $ in fees or whatever?
For example, In July I don't see anything for march 2019, but I find something in June 2019 for example. I put email alerts on awardnexus for March, can I switch my flights to those dates?