Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Alaska Overbook Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
How do vouchers work on Alaska

Hi,

My wife and daughter were on an overbooked flight to DCA and moved to a direct flight SFO-BOS and given compensation.

They were paper vouchers and I told her she likely needed to get an AS FF# and deposit them. As I'm still traveling, does that sound correct?

She thought they were only good for 30 days, but I'm assuming once deposited its likely the standard year expiration like my past compensation.

Can anyone explain or share their experience?

Alphaguy
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
The vouchers are depositable into mywallet and funds can be used on new tickets. Sounds like a solid score ^
Old May 31, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If you're looking for a VDB compensation, today might be the day...seems to be quite a few sold out flights....particularly on the SEA-PDX route.
anteater, PaperGlider and MareLuce like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If you're looking for a VDB compensation, today might be the day...seems to be quite a few sold out flights....particularly on the SEA-PDX route.
I have been on five flights since Saturday. All but one sold out, including a PDX-SEA. Not one offer of VDB. I was really hoping for one since I had no urgent need to be anywhere. Darn AS rarely overbooks flights.
anteater and PDXPremier like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Got a VDB volunteer email for tomorrow morning. Flight is no longer for sale online, so we will see. I don’t really want the next AS flight, which is two hours + later, but I will take the Vdb if they want to cancel my outbound and let me buy a walk up on WN for a flight that leaves 45’ later. I’m also okay if they cancel and refund the whole ticket (plus the VDB comp) since I could also fly WN home if I need to.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Got a VDB volunteer email for tomorrow morning. Flight is no longer for sale online, so we will see. I don’t really want the next AS flight, which is two hours + later, but I will take the Vdb if they want to cancel my outbound and let me buy a walk up on WN for a flight that leaves 45’ later. I’m also okay if they cancel and refund the whole ticket (plus the VDB comp) since I could also fly WN home if I need to.
both AM flights are now zeroed out in all cabins and there are a ton of people on the “awaiting seats” list for my flight. I booked the WN as backup in case I can get a decent VDB out of it. Probably need $400+ to make it worthwhile.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as seems to often be the way with 7am flights, of course no volunteers were needed and despite being booked "full", the flight went out with at least 4 empty seats...it's always interesting how people cannot get out of bed on time to make a flight...
jsguyrus and SEA777GUY like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
as seems to often be the way with 7am flights, of course no volunteers were needed and despite being booked "full", the flight went out with at least 4 empty seats...it's always interesting how people cannot get out of bed on time to make a flight...
Some people book cheap early morning flights and then SDC to flights at a more convenient time.

At least, I assume that they do. I can't be the only one.
samosa likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k
Yes they do. I was offered $900 today to take the next flight, which was the next day. Unfortunately, a couple of people didn't show up so I was able to board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.