Wiki Posts
Search

Does Alaska Overbook Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
If you overbook as part of the core revenue process, you probably have also refined the VDB process to minimize IDB (and cash outlay) - otherwise you erode the financial benefits of overbooking. I'd bet the carriers that don't overbook at all, or not as aggressively, aren't as good at getting volunteers to take vouchers instead of cash. They might swap equipment or something and start canceling tickets.

Just my speculation. I can't base this on any actual knowledge.
The B6 ratio of VDB to IDB is pretty bad
Attached Images  
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CDKing
Actually that falls under the list of exemptions of weight/balance restrictions required by operational and safety reasons.That flight was not oversold which is the basis of IDB.

I've been trying to figure out why airlines that don't overbook have such high IDB ratios compared to the other carriers. For instance AS is only .35 per 10,000 when Jetblue is 1.19 and WN is .80
It's still and IDB, but it's not subject to the compensation rules due to the exemption.

That's because B6 doesn't intentionally oversell. It's a weight/balance or equipment swap that does it to them, so it's usually a bad situation they're not ready for.

Last edited by channa; Apr 13, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:49 am

JetBlue doesn't oversell as far as I can tell. Equipment swaps probably do it. From their website, their A320 has 162 seats, and the A321 has 200. If they have to swap a plane, they'll probably have to IDB some folks. At some point it's cheaper to do that vs issue huge vouchers.

I don't know if they ever have to swap in an E90 for a 320, but that would be an even bigger problem.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
JetBlue doesn't oversell as far as I can tell. Equipment swaps probably do it. From their website, their A320 has 162 seats, and the A321 has 200. If they have to swap a plane, they'll probably have to IDB some folks. At some point it's cheaper to do that vs issue huge vouchers.

I don't know if they ever have to swap in an E90 for a 320, but that would be an even bigger problem.
From all reports so far it has been a result of going from an A321 to an A320. If there is a mechanical issue on an A321 and no spare A321 is available, they get a substitute plane which may be an A320 to fly as many people as possible rather than simply cancel the flight. If the A321 were sold out, then obviously all the passengers can not fit onto one A320. They get the majority on the new plane and the rest they pay to take an alternative flight. This is not at all the same as overselling. If there is a mechanical issue at the last minute, they are simply compensating passengers that are impacted. The alternative would be to cancel the flight completely and leave everybody stranded.

This issue could very easily come up with AS/VX as A321s come on board. If one has a mechanical issue, they may not have any alternatives as they are unlikely to have a spare given the very low number of them they will have in the short term.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's an exemption from IDB for equipment swaps, whether for operational or safety reasons, in the DOT IDB rules.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
There's an exemption from IDB for equipment swaps, whether for operational or safety reasons, in the DOT IDB rules.
No, the exception is for IDB compensation. It is still an IDB and documented as such.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA,AS,DL,MHC,IHG,Parrot Head
100% agree. The management of overbooking is the problem at UA. Fortunately AS culture would never lead to a UA type incident.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsillanman
100% agree. The management of overbooking is the problem at UA. Fortunately AS culture would never lead to a UA type incident.
Howso? AS is even cheaper with VDB comp than UA is.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I and my friend just got VDB on Alaska. $400 travel voucher + $12 meal voucher each. It was AS411 from Nashville to Seattle. It was two days after the solar eclipse, so the flight was packed.

The GA said there was an equipment swap (re-configured vs not re-configured), so there were three seats fewer than the original aircraft. There was one no-show, so it worked out for the two of us. There was another lady who was initially called to the podium, but AS ended up boarding her, saying the two of us were on the volunteer list ahead of the lady anyway.

We were put on Delta BNA-LAX-SEA, and we would land in SEA "just" 5 hours behind our original arrival time. I told the AS GA I was surprised AS would put VDB on DL (instead of AA), and the GA said he would put us on any flight and any airline that works for us. The GA in BNA even said he would give us a hotel room and seats for the once daily flight on the following day if the flight on the following day had not been oversold as well.

I even got to try the SkyClub in BNA and LAX with my AMEX Platinum card.
Mahogany likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by buschoi
I and my friend just got VDB on Alaska. $400 travel voucher + $12 meal voucher each. It was AS411 from Nashville to Seattle. It was two days after the solar eclipse, so the flight was packed.

The GA said there was an equipment swap (re-configured vs not re-configured), so there were three seats fewer than the original aircraft. There was one no-show, so it worked out for the two of us. There was another lady who was initially called to the podium, but AS ended up boarding her, saying the two of us were on the volunteer list ahead of the lady anyway.

We were put on Delta BNA-LAX-SEA, and we would land in SEA "just" 5 hours behind our original arrival time. I told the AS GA I was surprised AS would put VDB on DL (instead of AA), and the GA said he would put us on any flight and any airline that works for us. The GA in BNA even said he would give us a hotel room and seats for the once daily flight on the following day if the flight on the following day had not been oversold as well.

I even got to try the SkyClub in BNA and LAX with my AMEX Platinum card.
Sweet...sounds like the standard VDB for AS went up $100 to $400. ^
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Sweet...sounds like the standard VDB for AS went up $100 to $400. ^
Midcons on AS has been $400 for years FYI.

Congrats on the bump. MCI was 0'd out but some pax didn't make it on Tuesday at 7 AM. I wanted to shift to the afternoon departure, but space didn't open up
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
We were put on Delta BNA-LAX-SEA, and we would land in SEA "just" 5 hours behind our original arrival time.
Is there some procedure to still get your Alaska miles for this type of reroute? Original routing credit?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tom911
Is there some procedure to still get your Alaska miles for this type of reroute? Original routing credit?
Yes! I've done this a couple of times this year. I try to remember to ask the gate/counter to put a note on the rez that I was involuntarily rerouted and will be requesting original routing credit along with the original itinerary & original fare class (if downgraded or original fare class had a CoS bonus), then email the original boarding passes & a short note to Mileage Plan customer service. If it was a AS/partner flight, I wait for that to post then send the request in along with asking for the reroute to be removed like so:

To: [email protected]
Subject: Original routing credit for involuntary reroute

I was involuntarily rerouted by the Alaska SFO gate agent due to flight delays from our original routing of SFO-SEA-PAE, all on Alaska in First (fare class P), to SFO-PAE on AA in Economy (fare class Y), on 8/25. I am requesting original routing credit in place of 8/25 AA789. Below are the boarding passes from my original routing.

rustkettel
Mileage Plan# xx1

Alaska ticket# 027xxxxxxxxxx-xx
Resv# foobar
8/25 AS 123 SFO-SEA, fare class P
8/25 AS 456 SEA-PAE, fare class P
I've heard others here get denied for ORC or only get a note added to the MP account if short at the end of the year so I try to cover my bases with the GA note & reiterating that it was an involuntary reroute and not at my request. Perhaps a bit excessive but so far, Alaska came through with ORC each time I've requested it. ^
flatdawgs and pbelmore like this.

Last edited by rustykettel; Aug 24, 2017 at 10:38 am
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Thank you for the email address for the mileage plan. The gate agent did ask me to call Alaska and request original routing credit. I forgot to ask him to put a note in my PNR. I still have the original boarding passes and the $400 travel certificates, so I hope those will be good enough.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Thank you for the email address for the mileage plan. The gate agent did ask me to call Alaska and request original routing credit. I forgot to ask him to put a note in my PNR. I still have the original boarding passes and the $400 travel certificates, so I hope those will be good enough.
I've forgotten to have the GA note sometimes too and it's worked out on those so good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.