Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Alaska Overbook Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
And I hope you put your Skymiles # in for the DL segments -- this is one of those fun cases where you can get double credit
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
And I hope you put your Skymiles # in for the DL segments -- this is one of those fun cases where you can get double credit
These interline IRROP's tickets are often coded so that they are in-eligible for earning mileage credit these days. Since DL awards miles based on spend, not miles flown, it would require exposing how much AS paid for the ticket (not something airlines prefer to expose). I wouldn't necessarily expect to get any miles from DL in this situation -- just ORC credit from AS.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It turns out I got both.

I sent an email to AS Mileage Plan with the email address rustykettel provided. I attached the original boarding pass. Two days later I got a response saying the miles have posted, and they did.

I also got the DL miles, and it reflects the price I paid AS for the entire round-trip even though I was only bumped on the inbound. I used an BOA-AS $99 companion certificate for my friend's AS ticket, and my friend's DL account got the miles for the $99 spend.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Got the offer to volunteer using the kiosk at SEA for QX 2259 from SEA-PDX last night....was shocked since I can't remember ever seeing that message show up before (except during my UA flying days when it was very common). I did sorta expect it though since I noticed my flight had been sold out for weeks.

Unfortunately, the GA said she was only overbooked by one and didn't think she would need me and she didn't....bummer, oh well....maybe next time
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
AS 769 BOS-SAN is overweight so they are looking for 9 volunteers. They are only offering $400 and hotel to fly tomorrow. not enough for me. Weather is bad in SAN and they are worried about diversion with our 7 hour scheduled flight

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 9, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
AS 769 BOS-SAN is overweight so they are looking for 9 volunteers. They are only offering $400 and hotel to fly tomorrow. not enough for me. Weather is bad in SAN and they are worried about diversion with our 7 hour scheduled flight
Curious to hear the resolution... Did they get the volunteers? 9 seems like a lot. If not, did they offer more? Or IDB?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Curious to hear the resolution... Did they get the volunteers? 9 seems like a lot. If not, did they offer more? Or IDB?
Looked like they got most of them without doing IDB and no extra bags pulled like they threatened at first. I also boarded last just in case they decided to IDB. If i wasn't just going for the weekend with non refundable prepaid hotel, I probably would have taken and just gone back home.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
9 volunteers does seem like a lot for only $400 voucher
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seahawks10177
9 volunteers does seem like a lot for only $400 voucher
I was once on a UAX flight that was downgauged and they needed something like 14. They were offering ~$800 and I think they got them. It was winter travel at the holidays and flights were packed, but it was an ORD-DTW flight, so I imagine people might have taken the $800 and rented a car one way rather than wait for an available seat.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I was once on a UAX flight that was downgauged and they needed something like 14. They were offering ~$800 and I think they got them. It was winter travel at the holidays and flights were packed, but it was an ORD-DTW flight, so I imagine people might have taken the $800 and rented a car one way rather than wait for an available seat.
$800?? I would have taken that too haha
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now after Dr Dao incident many carriers are giving better offers. AS has pretty uch been capped at $200-400 depending on length. They need to be more flexible.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Now after Dr Dao incident many carriers are giving better offers. AS has pretty uch been capped at $200-400 depending on length. They need to be more flexible.
I think this was Dec 2016, so before the Dao incident. They had to make it appealing because they didn't have any seats available til the next day.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this was Dec 2016, so before the Dao incident. They had to make it appealing because they didn't have any seats available til the next day.
AS is take it or leave it, has been and probably always will be since they are so stingy when it comes to compensation for anything. They will IDB before increasing the VDB. Luckily they aren't super aggressive with overboking. 10 years ive been flying AS and this weekend was the second time i've been on one looking for volunteers and the last time none were needed in the end.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
VDB offered for two this morning SEA-YYC. GA offered $300, then corrected himself to $400 midstatement & rebooked into next flight about 3 hours later.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
E75 operated SEA-ABQ - heard offer at C2 gates when walking by. $400 voucher 2 pax needed. Reroute a few hours later via PDX. 2 pax ran to the desk, GA said the offer had been accepted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.