Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

G75 - Downgrade from PC to Exit Row?? How??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G75 - Downgrade from PC to Exit Row?? How??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rabble
I don't get it, if nobody wants the damned PE why do they even have it? I know i went and selected an exit row just now booking, only to get a damned 'you've been upgraded' to a seat with less legroom. If i choose an exit row, NOT a PE seat at booking, there was a good reason.
A PE upgrade from standard coach is a big plus. The only seats where it's questionable are from the exit rows and even then it's not a no-brainer because:

1. PE gives you decent legroom (not as good as 16 or 17, but maybe good enough)
2. PE reclines but 16 doesn't
3. PE is closer to the front so you can get out of the damn tube sooner at the end of the flight.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Don't forget the awesome snack box too, and lots of drinks if not already 75K anyway (and for 75K: technically more drinks in PE)

The legroom difference in exit row is at the point where I can store a bag under the seat in front and it is not in the way of my feet at all. In PE, it still gets in the way a bit.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IStream
A PE upgrade from standard coach is a big plus. The only seats where it's questionable are from the exit rows and even then it's not a no-brainer because:

1. PE gives you decent legroom (not as good as 16 or 17, but maybe good enough)
2. PE reclines but 16 doesn't
3. PE is closer to the front so you can get out of the damn tube sooner at the end of the flight.
Not to get into a super huge PE discussion, but being upgraded into a middle seat in PE from an aisle seat in an exit row is not that much a plus. I've also essentially been permanently downgraded from what used to be complimentary 6A or 6F on every flight over the past 5 years to an exit row that I didn't want.

That said, if there are no exit aisles or windows available and I am somewhere else in coach, I will take the PE upgrade. Otherwise I don't check the box.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Bethelite
Not to get into a super huge PE discussion, but being upgraded into a middle seat in PE from an aisle seat in an exit row is not that much a plus.
Is this happening?? I am under the impression that this wouldn't happen.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Bethelite
Not to get into a super huge PE discussion, but being upgraded into a middle seat in PE from an aisle seat in an exit row is not that much a plus. I've also essentially been permanently downgraded from what used to be complimentary 6A or 6F on every flight over the past 5 years to an exit row that I didn't want.

That said, if there are no exit aisles or windows available and I am somewhere else in coach, I will take the PE upgrade. Otherwise I don't check the box.
I agree that middle seats up front shouldn't be categorized as PE. Since they are, they should get your consent to make that change unless it's a middle/coach to middle/PE reassignment. They may already be doing this but I don't know since I've never faced the situation.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by rabble
Where and how do you put these codes in? Or is it something AS agents can do?
Yeah, this text is for Agencies to add in to a record as an OSI (Other Service Information, or something similar). It's visible to the Alaska systems and Agents when the Opt-Out is selected.

From the travelers end, it can be "entered" by selecting the Opt-Out option in Manage My reservation. This is the code that is then stamped in your record.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:50 am

PE "upgrade"🙃

What bothered me was having booked an ordianary coach aisle seat because none of the premium aisle or exit aisle seats were available, being on the F waitlist (w/o an option to deselect a P upgrade) and being moved to a P window seat. Reservations could not tell me how to avoid that. I assume I made a mistake somewhere but couldn't figure it out.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
If you are booking via AS.com you can opt out of a PC upgrade at the time of booking (but not after booking).

If you book via any other means, you have to call and ask to be taken off the PC waitlist.

Doing either of the above should prevent you from being moved to PC.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
If you are booking via AS.com you can opt out of a PC upgrade at the time of booking (but not after booking).

If you book via any other means, you have to call and ask to be taken off the PC waitlist.

I do opt out during the booking process (on the AS website), and I have still been moved to PC every time. Usually I've been lucky enough to grab back my exit row, once I was not. But it also means you have to continually monitor your reservations to make sure you have not been moved.

Extremely annoying, especially since they give you the option to opt out...and you do...and they still move you.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:45 pm

Tracer

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA

Thanks Tracer; that's very helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.