Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

G75 - Downgrade from PC to Exit Row?? How??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Actually... what I really want to do is unselect 'premium class waitlisted' after I book... since I am a happier camper in Exit Row than in PC if I can get an Aisle. Get my free drink, pleasant service, nice leg room, etc. Don't need the 'snack basket'.... unless they add something good like Doritos or Oreos

Is there a way to 'opt out' of the premium class?

Yes I know you are thinking...well...don't select it when you book but I am booking through my corporate travel site and looks like that is the current config. Going to them to change would be a nightmare.

We all see they have pushed a new updated website experience but looks more cosmetic than functional.

Thanks!

Last edited by ASRobo; Apr 5, 2017 at 9:21 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've had several downgrades from exit row to PE. It's frustrating.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ASRobo
Actually... what I really want to do is unselect 'premium class waitlisted' after I book... since I am a happier camper in Exit Row than in PC if I can get an Aisle. Get my free drink, pleasant service, nice leg room, etc. Don't need the 'snack basket'.... unless they add something good like Doritos or Oreos

Yes I know you are thinking...well...don't select it when you book but I am booking through my corporate travel site and looks like that is the current config. Going to them to change would be a nightmare.

We all see they have pushed a new updated website experience but looks more cosmetic than functional.

Thanks!
Doritos and Oreos in the snack box would be reason enough to sit in PC....what a great idea! Despite their popularity, I can't remember ever seeing Doritos served in any PC or F snack basket on any airline...it's always some weird oven-baked or oddly seasoned snack you'd expect to find in the snack aisle of a Whole Foods market.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

Thanks!
uncheck the box for a PE upgrade and keep the box checked for a F upgrade - at least that is what I do. It seems to work. I haven't missed too many upgrades recently (sea-was), but I have yet to be booted from 16D into 7E.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lalala
uncheck the box for a PE upgrade and keep the box checked for a F upgrade - at least that is what I do. It seems to work. I haven't missed too many upgrades recently (sea-was), but I have yet to be booted from 16D into 7E.
OP is like me, booking through a corporate site so can't make those choices.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

Select the exit row seat at booking, call AS Reservations to have PC upgrade unselected, and send feedback through the website for both a profile setting for auto request PC upgrades (to turn it off) and a way to manage current reservations' upgrade requests.

Or don't put your AS# at booking and then manually add it afterwards. I _think_ it might ask you at that point but I'm not sure.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Baze
OP is like me, booking through a corporate site so can't make those choices.
Calling may be a pain but as long as its done ASAP wait list position shouldn't suffer. Removing from y+ waitlist has also caused someone to be dropped from the F waitlist. Since time had passed since the booking (flights booked long before the product) F waitlist position really suffered.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CDKing
Calling may be a pain but as long as its done ASAP wait list position shouldn't suffer. Removing from y+ waitlist has also caused someone to be dropped from the F waitlist. Since time had passed since the booking (flights booked long before the product) F waitlist position really suffered.
Before that was an option, my TH who has flights booked to and from DC every 10 days out for at least nine months, would call and a patient res agent would double check that she was removed from the PE list and kept only on the F list.

They are pretty good with that and she has yet to be removed from the F list on any of her flights.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
They need to switch the default to NOT "upgrading"!
Good example of case when booking through an alternate portal.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Premium class opt-out via travel agency

Since all third-party portals vary, this may or may not be useful information. According to the premium class FAQ on Alaska's website:

If you do not want to be considered for a Premium Class upgrade, please have your travel agency add in this message on your reservation, or call reservations to opt out.

Opt Out of Premium Class Auto Upgrade

OSI AS*OPT OUT*AUTO-COMP PREMIUM CLASS
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by wylek
Since all third-party portals vary, this may or may not be useful information. According to the premium class FAQ on Alaska's website:
Can I add this to my AS profile:

Code:
Please?

And is this a command:

Code:
OSI AS*OPT IN*FORCE-UPG FIRST CLASS
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by lalala
uncheck the box for a PE upgrade and keep the box checked for a F upgrade - at least that is what I do. It seems to work.
I've done that and STILL got bumped to PE - very frustrating. Luckily the exit row was still available so I was able to put us back where we WANTED to be, but once we did try PE just to see and weren't impressed.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't get it, if nobody wants the damned PE why do they even have it? I know i went and selected an exit row just now booking, only to get a damned 'you've been upgraded' to a seat with less legroom. If i choose an exit row, NOT a PE seat at booking, there was a good reason.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by beckoa
Can I add this to my AS profile:

Code:
Please?

And is this a command:

Code:
OSI AS*OPT IN*FORCE-UPG FIRST CLASS
Where and how do you put these codes in? Or is it something AS agents can do?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by rabble
Where and how do you put these codes in? Or is it something AS agents can do?
This thread is the first time I'd seen them.

I modified a few commands into something I wanted

Got a new one today- an a/c swap from 73H to 739 so no more PE (no Exit Row available) so was sent an email with a discount code $25. Seemed to be auto-generated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.