Wiki Posts
Search

More Routes From SAN

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by evergrn
Wonder what their long-term strategy is in SAN.
Same as the one in SJC/SFO/LAX/STS: be a good airline for California residents.

Gonna be tough to bulk up TOO much on a one-runway airport where WN isn't likely to be pushed out of the market, though...
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by diver858
I look at it the other way - with the addition of more flights --> passengers, perhaps the TSA can justify staffing PreCheck EVERY DAY - at least until 10 - 11 am.
How about all day, just like they do at WN or T2?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I think Horizon is in a trickier situation than SkyWest. They've been parking Q400s because they don't have crew. That problem seems likely to get worse as a big chunk of their pilots start flying new routes in E175s.
Bolding mine - source?

The latter point is correct in that the E175s are an upgrade from the Q400 therefore staffing them will not be a problem. Yes, the entire regional airline industry is facing significant challenges in hiring qualified pilots, including QX, but we're not parking planes because we don't have crew.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Same as the one in SJC/SFO/LAX/STS: be a good airline for California residents.

Gonna be tough to bulk up TOO much on a one-runway airport where WN isn't likely to be pushed out of the market, though...
WN has become a bit too complacent out of SAN over the past few years, cutting back on frequency and nonstops, increasing fares, creating the opportunity that AS appears to be taking full advantage of - ABQ is a perfect example. Today's LUV is focused primarily on operating margins, will likely put up some fight, but if AS is successful, I could see WN backing down in some cases.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by SOCguy
Bolding mine - source?

The latter point is correct in that the E175s are an upgrade from the Q400 therefore staffing them will not be a problem. Yes, the entire regional airline industry is facing significant challenges in hiring qualified pilots, including QX, but we're not parking planes because we don't have crew.
The internet. QX employees have talked about it at the airline pilot forum. Not firsthand knowledge from me but the fact that QX is struggling to remain fully staffed has been pretty widely reported. That they'll be able to staff E175s is great for people on those new routes but doesn't give much comfort to everyone on existing routes.

Last edited by ucdtim17; Mar 16, 2017 at 9:23 am
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
WN has become a bit too complacent out of SAN over the past few years, cutting back on frequency and nonstops, increasing fares, creating the opportunity that AS appears to be taking full advantage of - ABQ is a perfect example. Today's LUV is focused primarily on operating margins, will likely put up some fight, but if AS is successful, I could see WN backing down in some cases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Di...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattl...tional_Airport

WN's position at SEA is roughly analogous to AS's position at SEA (AS is somewhat better, closer to 50%). AS's position at SAN is roughly analogous to DL's position at SEA (though UA/AA are stronger at SAN than SEA).

I don't generally agree that WN is going to tuck their tail and start drawing down in SAN, but I don't have any WN animus as a chip on my shoulder. I think there's probably a space for two airlines "hubbing" at both SAN and SEA.

I'd also point out that VX, despite being "California's airline", really never made a move on SAN. AS deciding to take on Bay Area + Greater LA + SAN through their own expansion plus the VX acquisition is a real attempt at making that happen.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Di...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattl...tional_Airport

WN's position at SEA is roughly analogous to AS's position at SEA (AS is somewhat better, closer to 50%). AS's position at SAN is roughly analogous to DL's position at SEA (though UA/AA are stronger at SAN than SEA).

I don't generally agree that WN is going to tuck their tail and start drawing down in SAN, but I don't have any WN animus as a chip on my shoulder. I think there's probably a space for two airlines "hubbing" at both SAN and SEA.

I'd also point out that VX, despite being "California's airline", really never made a move on SAN. AS deciding to take on Bay Area + Greater LA + SAN through their own expansion plus the VX acquisition is a real attempt at making that happen.
While I agree that WN will not make a wholesale retreat from SAN, it will be interesting to see if / how hard they push back. AS appears to have MUCH more room to maneuver on price, pick up their desired share of the market, at least some of which will be at the expense of WN. Quotes attributed to AS in today's local (SAN) newspaper suggest unmet demand for the new service.

I believe that leisure flights to Mexico (SJD, PVR), Hawaii and MCO established AS as a player in SAN, paved the way for further expansion as a focus city. At first glance, with few exceptions (such as Mexico), it does not appear that AS is attempting to go beyond O&D in San Diego with much of the new service. At some point, it will be interesting to see if AS attempts to align schedules of continental US flights with those to Hawaii and Mexico - which will soon include MEX (said to be pending regulatory approval).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

As a San Diegan, I prefer to fly AS over WN because I can get an assigned seat. Baby jets don't bother me on short flights but will should they use them on flights that approach 3 hours and more.

AS must be doing really well on some of these routes. I just price checked SAN-FAT for my husband who does business in the Fresno area. He needs to return on a Friday. The first Friday I checked only had F seats unsold at $350 one way. The other Friday still had a coach seat unsold at $250. That pricing pushes him to drive as it is roughly a six hour trip from home to customer.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Baby jets don't bother me on short flights but will should they use them on flights that approach 3 hours and more.
Have you flown the Embraer 170/190 family yet? They're just as comfy as mainline jets.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
Have you flown the Embraer 170/190 family yet? They're just as comfy as mainline jets.
+1! Completely agree. I don't mind them at all.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Welcomed news....but isn't SAN gates already too crowded with current flights? I wonder if AS has gate change planned?

Jiburi
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Madone59
+1! Completely agree. I don't mind them at all.
+2 They are actually a slightly preferable aircraft to a 738/739 with the 2x2 💺 in the back. The windows are larger and placed at a preferable height as well. Having said that, The FC A seats are my favorite when traveling solo and that is often the case for me.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
As a San Diegan, I prefer to fly AS over WN because I can get an assigned seat. Baby jets don't bother me on short flights but will should they use them on flights that approach 3 hours and more.

AS must be doing really well on some of these routes. I just price checked SAN-FAT for my husband who does business in the Fresno area. He needs to return on a Friday. The first Friday I checked only had F seats unsold at $350 one way. The other Friday still had a coach seat unsold at $250. That pricing pushes him to drive as it is roughly a six hour trip from home to customer.
FAT is an odd destination....even during big "sales" at least from PDX, it rarely goes below $99....not sure if it's just an underserved market or that it's a relatively small city. We've flown into alternate airports like SMF or SJC to save some money, especially since we typically bring the kids along too. I've also found it difficult to find any reasonably priced tickets out of FAT to PDX/SEA after 11am.

With all that said, the new 5K awards have been a BIG help with this route (and should be for you too if you're looking to fly SAN-FAT). I may never pay for another PDX-FAT trip again....using 5K AS miles is a no-brainer not to mention you get a free stopover if you want. We're flying RDM-PDX (stopover for about 3 weeks)-SEA-FAT for 5K....not a bad deal. ^
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
So, the question remains. With all this California expansion, will they continue with the Alaska name or will the whole thing become Virgin America?

It seems like VA might make more sense now.

As a San Diego resident this is all great news for me. I'll cross a million miles on United next year and then switch most of my work flying to Alaska along with vacation routes. I'll use United on trips Alaska doesn't serve.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buzglyd
It seems like VA might make more sense now.
It's a licensing fee to SRB. So probably not.

However... they could be Jet America Airlines...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.