Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Booking Seattle to OMA using AA miles on Alaska Air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

I hate to ask a question I'm sure is already answered multiple times but...

On Aug 3rd I'm trying to find 6 direct flights from Seattle to OMA. On Alaska Air I see 6 flights at the 20k level. But when I search the same flights on AA I see 20K flights but not this one.

I'm AA points heavy and Alaska air points broke. Is this bookable if I call AA directly? Or do I have to find saver on Alaska Air to use AA miles?

To sum up, can I book Seattle to Oma using 20k miles on AA since Alaska Air has them do I have to see Alaska air flights on AA's site which I do not?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Partners have access to saver level. You won't see it in the AA site unless Alaska is offering it for saver level. 20k is not saver level

​booking is subject to the American chart so 12.5K (?) is what will be charged even if AS decided to offer their regional saver award of 10K instead of the 12.5k
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slider34
I hate to ask a question I'm sure is already answered multiple times but...

On Aug 3rd I'm trying to find 6 direct flights from Seattle to OMA. On Alaska Air I see 6 flights at the 20k level. But when I search the same flights on AA I see 20K flights but not this one.

I'm AA points heavy and Alaska air points broke. Is this bookable if I call AA directly? Or do I have to find saver on Alaska Air to use AA miles?

To sum up, can I book Seattle to Oma using 20k miles on AA since Alaska Air has them do I have to see Alaska air flights on AA's site which I do not?
I assume you mean non-stop flights. Direct flights can have 1 or more stops but retain the same flight number throughout. As to your question, CDKing pretty much answered it.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
I assume you mean non-stop flights. Direct flights can have 1 or more stops but retain the same flight number throughout. As to your question, CDKing pretty much answered it.
Maybe to help clarify.

On Aug 3rd I see flights from Seattle to OMA on AA's site at the 20k anytime level that are Alaskan Air flights (with a stop over). However over on Alaskan Air I see all those same flights (same 20K level using Alaskan miles) but they also have a direct flight for the same 20k points. However that direct flight doesn't show up on American's site at all.

That's the one I was hoping to book, I guess that's not possible?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Maybe to help clarify.

On Aug 3rd I see flights from Seattle to OMA on AA's site at the 20k anytime level that are Alaskan Air flights (with a stop over). However over on Alaskan Air I see all those same flights (same 20K level using Alaskan miles) but they also have a direct flight for the same 20k points. However that direct flight doesn't show up on American's site at all.

Yes.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Maybe to help clarify.

You will not see Alaska Airlines award flights offered as AAnytime awards. AAnytime awards are only valid for travel on AA metal.

If you are finding AAnytime awards from SEA to OMA on aa.com, the itinerary will involve connecting flights on AA.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by guv1976
Maybe to help clarify.

You will not see Alaska Airlines award flights offered as AAnytime awards. AAnytime awards are only valid for travel on AA metal.

If you are finding AAnytime awards from SEA to OMA on aa.com, the itinerary will involve connecting flights on AA.
Yup. To confirm, I checked AA.com for August 3. There are no MileSAAver (12.5k) award flights available for SEA-OMA. Every AA-operated connecting itinerary is available for 20k AA miles (the AAnytime level). If you look at the flights available for 20k AA miles, they're all AA-operated (most connecting through DFW; a small number connecting through LAX, PHX, and ORD).

In the month of August, there is currently one date (Aug 16) with SAAver awards available; that routing is SEA-LAX on AS and LAX-OMA on AA.

Note that AA's AAnytime awards now vary in price by date. As you can see on the AA.com award calendar, on some dates, the AAnytime price is 25k; on other dates, it's 20k. However, the price for an AAnytime award on a particular route is set by date. Any AA flight that has any coach seats available for sale will cost whatever the cost is for that day. I think it's confusing you because, on Aug 3, it happens that AA's AAnytime award cost is the same as AS's mid-tier award cost. As others have noted, AA and AS mileage prices follow their own award charts; they're in general similar for the same level, but the mileage cost for awards at a given level do vary even when a low-level award seat is available making it available to redeem with either AA or AS miles.

Similarly, AS.com lists only AS and DL routings on SEA-OMA because there is no AA low-level award availability in coach, so there are no AA flight options that are available to redeem with AS miles. (There are a good number of DL routings available through SLC and MSP, though they of course don't have one way pricing at 12.5k miles.) The AS flight is available at the mid-tier cost, which is 20k, as you've found.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.