Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not showing on upgrade waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, HH G, IHG P, Hyatt P
Originally Posted by Kufat
15 people at the gate and then one more onboard when one of the 15 no-showed. (And ENycSea got a better seat than I did even though I was higher on the WL, leaving me stuck with the quiche instead of the omelette! Truly a grave injustice.)
Thanks for taking one for the team! I was looking at the seat assignments and they really didn't make sense. I couldn't figure out any rhyme or reason to how they assigned them. Another annoying thing about gate upgrades, you don't have the time to change around your seat before more people get bumped up.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
So...here is my dilemma. I have been flying recently with a companion who is an MVP. I am a 75k. We are on the same PNR. The last three times we have flown together, when I OLCI, her name is not right underneath mine, she is further down the list. From previous posts, it would appear that we would clear together at T-120 to T-2 hours. Since most upgrades aren't clearing until the gate, when we arrive at the airport, I go up and ask the gate agent to make sure that we would clear together because of my status. For the past three times this has happened, I have had to thoroughly explain the situation and then the gate agent has had to do some furious typing to finally get it to work. If I don't do this step, it sounds like I would have cleared and she wouldn't, which I don't want to happen. Last night, on AS 24 to BOS, Mary at the gate was amazing and got me taken care of me this time by removing my MVP traveling companions MP number and putting it back in, at least that is what she thinks might have fixed it (we didn't get the upgrade which was fine but at least her name was put under mine). Has anyone else had any clear cut way of telling the GA how to handle this? Or know if AS is trying to fix this issue? I have called the gold desk a couple of times and they haven't been aware of the problem.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Spiffieman, have you had success with getting your companion added at BOS? The GA on that side told me they don't add companions to the wait list.

Originally Posted by ENycSea
Thanks for taking one for the team! I was looking at the seat assignments and they really didn't make sense. I couldn't figure out any rhyme or reason to how they assigned them. Another annoying thing about gate upgrades, you don't have the time to change around your seat before more people get bumped up.
Why don't they call up the upgradees by upgrade list order and just ask them? It wouldn't take that much time. Heck draw two boxes of two by four grids with the seat numbers in each one, cross off the selected seats, show the first person, assign seat & issue BP, ask next person to step forward, rinse, lather, repeat.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Spiffieman, have you had success with getting your companion added at BOS? The GA on that side told me they don't add companions to the wait list.

In BOS last time, I had to show the GA the Gold companion policy on my phone. I was 3rd on the list with 4 seats available. She kept on saying that is just how it is with my MVP companion is where she should be...with the other MVPs. I respectfully disagreed and showed her the policy. She agreed with me and did her finagling on the computer for my companion to show up underneath me on the list. Sigh. She was super nice, just didn't understand what was happening.

I would love a clear cut thing to tell the GA every time this happens but so far it is a lot of explaining and a lot of them trying various things for it to work. Or....just have it work as it should? heh...
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AS 75K, Delta Plat, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I've been having the same problem as above. Agents swear I am on the upgrade list but I'm not showing after I check in nor at the airport. Airport gate agent has no clue why either and never interesting in trouble shooting. This has happened multiple times lately. Extremely frustrating to miss out on possible upgrades. Miss can you assist? Twitter team has no clue either
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Spiffieman
In BOS last time, I had to show the GA the Gold companion policy on my phone. I was 3rd on the list with 4 seats available. She kept on saying that is just how it is with my MVP companion is where she should be...with the other MVPs. I respectfully disagreed and showed her the policy. She agreed with me and did her finagling on the computer for my companion to show up underneath me on the list. Sigh. She was super nice, just didn't understand what was happening.

I would love a clear cut thing to tell the GA every time this happens but so far it is a lot of explaining and a lot of them trying various things for it to work. Or....just have it work as it should? heh...
But the OP's experience and the comments above are really troubling as it shows that GA's can manipulate the upgrade list however they like. It was always my understanding that the list was ordered by computer and we could rely on the fairness of the process. Yes, in these cases it was valid and justified but the fact that a GA can re-order the list at will is disturbing.

We have all read or had cases where we were a bit surpised at where we were on the list - I know I couldn't believe that early last year I was number 3 as a Gold who bought a ticket 10 months in advance on a leisure route; one where there was no one else on the seatmap until about 4 months later. And even then, no one in the elite-only rows at all. I couldn't imagine who jumped ahead of me considering it was a non-elite heavy route and a very small chance that 2 x 75K's would have bought last minute tickets.

So the fact that GA's can reorder the list bothers me as we can no longer count on the integrity of the ordering if it can be manipulated by a GA. Even though it was correct in these cases, who's to say that is always the case?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Lancer99
I've been having the same problem as above. Agents swear I am on the upgrade list but I'm not showing after I check in nor at the airport. Airport gate agent has no clue why either and never interesting in trouble shooting. This has happened multiple times lately. Extremely frustrating to miss out on possible upgrades. Miss can you assist? Twitter team has no clue either
Do fill out the post flight Alaska Listens survey AND the Feedback link (Customer Service and General Comments would seem to be most appropriate) when this happens. Ask them to forward your comments to IT for resolution, particularly in the Feedback form.

I know it won't fix your specific flights right then but the more comments and complaints Alaska gets about the broken upgrade process, the better.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Do fill out the post flight Alaska Listens survey AND the Feedback link (Customer Service and General Comments would seem to be most appropriate) when this happens. Ask them to forward your comments to IT for resolution, particularly in the Feedback form.

I know it won't fix your specific flights right then but the more comments and complaints Alaska gets about the broken upgrade process, the better.
Yes please do this.

I have flights next week with someone who recently lost his status. I'm afraid these same issues will continue. I've submitted one comment already for previous issues.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:16 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Spiffieman
So...here is my dilemma. I have been flying recently with a companion who is an MVP. I am a 75k. We are on the same PNR. The last three times we have flown together, when I OLCI, her name is not right underneath mine, she is further down the list. From previous posts, it would appear that we would clear together at T-120 to T-2 hours. Since most upgrades aren't clearing until the gate, when we arrive at the airport, I go up and ask the gate agent to make sure that we would clear together because of my status. For the past three times this has happened, I have had to thoroughly explain the situation and then the gate agent has had to do some furious typing to finally get it to work. If I don't do this step, it sounds like I would have cleared and she wouldn't, which I don't want to happen. Last night, on AS 24 to BOS, Mary at the gate was amazing and got me taken care of me this time by removing my MVP traveling companions MP number and putting it back in, at least that is what she thinks might have fixed it (we didn't get the upgrade which was fine but at least her name was put under mine). Has anyone else had any clear cut way of telling the GA how to handle this? Or know if AS is trying to fix this issue? I have called the gold desk a couple of times and they haven't been aware of the problem.
If you have an upcoming reservation and want to PM the code, I can take a look.

I have two theories: Either the system is waitlisting her as an MVP instead of as a companion ... or its putting her on the waitlist twice, but the MVP entry happens first and is therefore what the system is reading.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m having this issue with a flight tomorrow. 8 am from ORD to SFO. I’m checked in but not on the visible waitlist. Phone agent says I’m number 1 on the “priority” waitlist. Is this still an issue I need to get ahead of on the phone or at the gate, or can I trust what the agent told me?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by rjque
I’m having this issue with a flight tomorrow. 8 am from ORD to SFO. I’m checked in but not on the visible waitlist. Phone agent says I’m number 1 on the “priority” waitlist. Is this still an issue I need to get ahead of on the phone or at the gate, or can I trust what the agent told me?
In my experience, if you're not seeing yourself on the waitlist, you're not going to get the upgrade. I'd keep trying for someone else that can help.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
In my experience, if you're not seeing yourself on the waitlist, you're not going to get the upgrade. I'd keep trying for someone else that can help.
Thanks. I just checked again, and I am showing when I check flight status on Alaskaair.com (along with two other people), but there is nobody on the list in the mobile app (and yes I refreshed it). I'll see what the gate monitors say.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrade happened. Must just be an app bug.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Good! It must been an app issue if you saw yourself on the flight status page and on the gate monitors. Also nobody on the waitlist is a different issue than seeing names, but not yours. Either way, glad you got the upgrade!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by rjque
Upgrade happened. Must just be an app bug.
were you on the upgrade list at the gate monitor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.