Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Two MVPs traveling together...can one of us take the 1 available auto UP to F?

On a B of A Companion Certificate. We bought refundable Y fare.

We were both automatically upgraded to F on our outbound. On the return we are both wait listed for First.

But I saw that there is one F immediate upgrade available. Can one of us take that and hope the other comes through later? ( I would give it to me spouse) Or because we are bound by the Companion Certificate we have to wait until there are two upgrades available?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by david55
On a B of A Companion Certificate. We bought refundable Y fare.

We were both automatically upgraded to F on our outbound. On the return we are both wait listed for First.

But I saw that there is one F immediate upgrade available. Can one of us take that and hope the other comes through later? ( I would give it to me spouse) Or because we are bound by the Companion Certificate we have to wait until there are two upgrades available?
Nope, the only way is to split and companion fares cannot be split.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
We may be flying from Fresno, CA to Seattle on Alaska Airlines in the not too distant future ... In the past we received tier points and mileage on our BAEC accounts for this. I know there have been some changes made in the interim, so would we still receive tier points for BA? Does coach or first make a difference?
Thanks in advance.

JJ
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by JayeJ
We may be flying from Fresno, CA to Seattle on Alaska Airlines in the not too distant future ... In the past we received tier points and mileage on our BAEC accounts for this. I know there have been some changes made in the interim, so would we still receive tier points for BA? Does coach or first make a difference?
Thanks in advance.

JJ
this question is better asked in the BA forum, as it relates to earning BAEC on AS. as far as i know, you will earn some points, provided that you're in a qualifying fare class. but few of us here are experts on the BA program.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayeJ
Thanks in advance.

JJ
No tier points:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights

Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Is there an email address for customer service? I don't want to use the webpage form because I want to send an attachment of a screenshot of a reservation. I also don't want to wait 10-15 days for a reply to then be able to send a screenshot and wait another 10-15 days for a response/resolution. This is regarding upcoming travel and the folks on the phone and twitter have been unable to help.
I've received emails from [email protected] that say replying with the subject line intact (Re: Reference# : 123456789) will keep everything together. Those were usually from emailing Mileage Plan but I do have one from a followup response from the webform.

Maybe initiate it through the webform and then send the screenshot via email to the one above with the Reference#: xxxxxxx (note one space between Reference#: and the actual number) that it gives you?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CDKing
Well, that's a shame. Thanks for the info, CDKing.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:22 am
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
I am flying AA in J to NRT soon with my new AS MVP status
Do I get an extra piece of luggage?

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by qsh
I am flying AA in J to NRT soon with my new AS MVP status9

Thanks!
from Alaskaair.com

Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by qsh
I am flying AA in J to NRT soon with my new AS MVP status

Thanks!
Even if your flight is before the end of the year, your status won't entitle you to extra luggage above the J allowance.
qsh likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I had to get some GGU reissued because I canceled the flight I was originally booked to use them on. The CSR reissued them with a 12/31/18 expiration date. I will lose my MVPG status on 12/31/17. I assume I'll still be able to access these from my account even after my status expires?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I had to get some GGU reissued because I canceled the flight I was originally booked to use them on. The CSR reissued them with a 12/31/18 expiration date. I will lose my MVPG status on 12/31/17. I assume I'll still be able to access these from my account even after my status expires?
Yes. Because the certificate is an instrument of its own that doesn't require Status to use. Maybe screen shot the number from your account for good measure if you are concerned.
PV_Premier likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
If I receive a complimentary upgrade to F, should I still receive the class bonus even though it wasn’t a paid F ticket? In the past I have always received the class bonus on complimentary upgrades but this week I only received the base miles and my mvp bonus.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
If I receive a complimentary upgrade to F, should I still receive the class bonus even though it wasn’t a paid F ticket? In the past I have always received the class bonus on complimentary upgrades but this week I only received the base miles and my mvp bonus.
Not sure how the past bonuses happened because complimentary upgrades, along with Gold Guest Upgrades and paid OLCI upgrades that all book into U, shouldn't change the original paid fare class for mileage earning. The four highest coach fare buckets (YSMB) do have their own class of service bonuses and would still apply if upgraded into First.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Not sure how the past bonuses happened because complimentary upgrades, along with Gold Guest Upgrades and paid OLCI upgrades that all book into U, shouldn't change the original paid fare class for mileage earning. The four highest coach fare buckets (YSMB) do have their own class of service bonuses and would still apply if upgraded into First.
Just hope the account doesn't get an audit and past bonuses taken away. I'm guessing these were not awards booked with AS points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.