Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
It's a discount code, so check your Mileage Plan account and see if it was entered directly there. If not, I'd follow up. I don't see how you're misreading the policy.
Thanks so much for the response. No discount code was added to my Mileage Plan account, so I'll go ahead and follow up with Alaska. I'll post an update here when I get a reply.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:22 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others

My last flight was Friday morning, posted late Monday afternoon/evening.
Thanks!
Mine posted yesterday.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Just had a Virgin America flight take 14 days to post (flew on a Tuesday, posted on a Tuesday two weeks later). My other VX flights have generally posted right about a week later.
Old May 3, 2017, 3:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
My two DL flights on Friday night did not post on Tuesday, as I would have expected
Old May 3, 2017, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
My two DL flights on Friday night did not post on Tuesday, as I would have expected
I'm still waiting for my Iceland Air from 2 weeks ago.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
That's routine for me. I wouldn't be concerned until next Wednesday (between one and two weeks after the flight).
Old May 4, 2017, 4:02 pm
dannygray

For all the Thomas Cook-operated Transatlantic flights I found, the DE codeshare numbers are in the 5000s (e.g. MAN-JFK, MAN-SFO) so wouldn't be eligible for Alaska Mileage Plan points. It's a shame, I was planning to fly Condor/Thomas Cook but with lack of points accrual I will likely fly Virgin Atlantic instead.

Originally Posted by jinglish
I believe Missy stated that those flight would credit if they were within the flight numbers listed on the partner page.

Old May 4, 2017, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
DL flight from Friday afternoon did post as expected Tuesday.

Return on Wednesday this week might be a bit more interesting...
Old May 5, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Doing some research and found way back in 2015 that Alaska Air award flights with Fiji airlines were business class all the way from Auckland to LAX. for 55k . Now all I can find is partial business to NAN and then coach the longest part of the flight to LAX.
I keep checking daily but I don't seem to find any.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Thanks. From what I can tell HU is the only airline to fly that route non-stop. This would be a 1-way flight and I thought I could only book RT JAL awards.
HU is the only airline that you can use to fly non-stop, man I wanted to go with someone else.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by duranza
Doing some research and found way back in 2015 that Alaska Air award flights with Fiji airlines were business class all the way from Auckland to LAX. for 55k . Now all I can find is partial business to NAN and then coach the longest part of the flight to LAX.
I keep checking daily but I don't seem to find any.
That's pretty common. Fiji Coach is hard enough to find as it is let alone business.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
I have a question on bonus Mileage Plan with Q fare on JL. On AS web site, it says that I'm eligible 30% of distance and 25% bonus. I thought I could earn 55% of actual miles flown, as shown on wheretocredit.com

After my trip, it seemed like I only earned 30% plus 25% of 30% portion (minuscule).

Here's the answer from AS:
The Qualifying Mileage Bonus is always a
percentage of the total Qualifying Base Miles for your trip. YVR to NRT is a
total of 4674 miles, Q (class of service) earning 30% of 4674 is 1402. 25% of
your 1402 is 350.5 or 351, for a total of 1753 Qualifying Miles.

Before I notify wheretocredit.com about this, I wanted to double check with you.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by maverikbc
Here's the answer from AS:
The Qualifying Mileage Bonus is always a
percentage of the total Qualifying Base Miles for your trip. YVR to NRT is a
total of 4674 miles, Q (class of service) earning 30% of 4674 is 1402. 25% of
your 1402 is 350.5 or 351, for a total of 1753 Qualifying Miles.

Before I notify wheretocredit.com about this, I wanted to double check with you.
That's correct. Additional bonuses are calculated as a percentage of (miles flown * "base miles earned" percentage), not as a simple percentage of miles flown. This also applies to MVP bonuses.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by Kufat
That's correct. Additional bonuses are calculated as a percentage of (miles flown * "base miles earned" percentage), not as a simple percentage of miles flown. This also applies to MVP bonuses.
It's so little having a bonus of less than 10% of actual miles flown, but thanks a lot for confirming!
Old May 8, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
You're most welcome! I haven't done the magazine but I know others here have. Just read the fine print as you have to make sure it's eligible. I ordered something from Lowe's on 3/2, email from Mileage Plan Shopping on 3/4 that miles were earned. I don't have the exact date the miles were dumped into my account though.
Thanks again for your response. Want to provide an update on this -- the miles have already been credited to my Shopping Portal account, but are not yet transferred to my Mileage Plan account. How long would this take normally?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.