Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
rustykettel
Thank you. In the end I cancelled my award - they were nice enough to waive the fee (?AA Plat) and just bought the new tickets.
Thank you.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Paulchili
rustykettel
Thank you. In the end I cancelled my award - they were nice enough to waive the fee (?AA Plat) and just bought the new tickets.
Thank you.
You're most welcome and happy to hear that it worked out for you! ^ Safe travels tomorrow!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
About how long does it take for AA flights to post to AS?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by steveholt
About how long does it take for AA flights to post to AS?
It's never taken more than a week for me.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:42 pm

Hello. I'm a Disabled Vet whose acquiring about the seating on Alaska airlines. Trying to get to SEA via PHL one way on 9/28. Normally on AA, Delta and UA I get complimentary extra legroom seats, especially when being paid for.

Most times on award travel it is sometimes difficult to get this unless I keep pressing about my being a Disabled Vet. For this one-way flight I am going through the chase UR portal. But I'm wondering how seating is on Alaska Airlines in case things do not go well?

Because we are flying back in first class on UA with the help of a UA voucher because of the Chicago weather and mechanical issues the past month. That fare is $946 before the voucher. This is the reason that I'm trying to go through the UR portal.

The flight that I am inquiring about is flight 17 nonstop 5 o'clock to 8 o'clock (six hours total with the time zone change).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by mommafrica
Hello. I'm a Disabled Vet whose acquiring about the seating on Alaska airlines. Trying to get to SEA via PHL one way on 9/28. Normally on AA, Delta and UA I get complimentary extra legroom seats, especially when being paid for.

Most times on award travel it is sometimes difficult to get this unless I keep pressing about my being a Disabled Vet. For this one-way flight I am going through the chase UR portal. But I'm wondering how seating is on Alaska Airlines in case things do not go well?

Because we are flying back in first class on UA with the help of a UA voucher because of the Chicago weather and mechanical issues the past month. That fare is $946 before the voucher. This is the reason that I'm trying to go through the UR portal.

The flight that I am inquiring about is flight 17 nonstop 5 o'clock to 8 o'clock (six hours total with the time zone change).
You'll want to call Alaska's accessible services line 1-800-503-0101 for seating questions. They do have seats reserved although the current seat maps don't seem to show this. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...modations.aspx
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:48 am

@rustykettel: Thanks Alot!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Miles earned for F and status

If someone is Gold and books a paid F class ticket for 1000 miles how many EQM and RQM do they earn?

Does the 75% bonus of EQM also go into the RQM calculation with the 100% bonus?

EQM 1750
RQM 3500

or

EQM 1750
RQM 2000
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by octagondd
If someone is Gold and books a paid F class ticket for 1000 miles how many EQM and RQM do they earn?

Does the 75% bonus of EQM also go into the RQM calculation with the 100% bonus?

EQM 1750
RQM 3500

or

EQM 1750
RQM 2000
Yes, the class of service bonus goes into both EQM & RDM but the percentages, including the elite bonus, are on the base miles and not compounded.

1750 EQM: 1000 base miles + (1000 x 75% CoS = 750)
2750 RDM: 1000 base miles + (1000 x 75% CoS = 750) + (1000 x 100% MVPG bonus = 1000)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, the class of service bonus goes into both EQM & RDM but the percentages, including the elite bonus, are on the base miles and not compounded.

1750 EQM: 1000 base miles + (1000 x 75% CoS = 750)
2750 RDM: 1000 base miles + (1000 x 75% CoS = 750) + (1000 x 100% MVPG bonus = 1000)
ahh, ok, got it.

What is the D? I saw RQM somewhere else and maybe that is another airline's term.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by octagondd
ahh, ok, got it.

What is the D? I saw RQM somewhere else and maybe that is another airline's term.
Redeemable (award) miles earned. I don't believe I've heard the term RQM before but lots of airlines and programs out there!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:00 pm
jjz

Programs: MVPG
Smile

Originally Posted by CDKing
Status on a ticket doesn't automatically update when you change elite status, its always taken a phone call. Even the upgrades you stay stuck on the list as an MVP and not as a gold, it take a removal and readdition of MP # to fix it, don't let any agent tell you that it automatically updates. A phone call would be necessary on emailed ticket credit
Update: calling worked - mentioned I had a cancelled ticket I wanted to deposit in my wallet, provided the eticket number, and there was no cancellation fee
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:04 pm

How many alaska cards can you have open at once?

I just applied for another one without canceling my previous one and they approved me instantly.

Is there something I should be worried about?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coffeeortea
How many alaska cards can you have open at once?

I just applied for another one without canceling my previous one and they approved me instantly.

Is there something I should be worried about?
I think only the Bank of America can answer that question for you. I wouldn't be worried. They must be happy with you as a customer as your credentials have you below their risk tolerance ; otherwise you wouldn't have been approved. I just applied for an additional account myself in Branch and was instantly approved as well with an 18.5K limit. My existing account is 17K. I explicitly told them I had an account and wanted a second one. I applied in Branch on a Friday at 6:00 pm and received my cards the following Tuesday at 3:45 pm via UPS.

I am Canadian so find it easier to apply in Branch as some online applications won't process with an ITIN in lieu of a SSN. I aslo have three Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard accounts and make GOOD use of the 5 companion certificates. I can easily save $1,000 on each one. While can no longer use the companion certificates for First Class tickets, as MVPG or MVPG75K you can purchase upgradeable fares for immediate upgrade where available for both parties in the reservation.

I have never been one to churn credit cards especially before the AF. I think this behavior can be detrimental. I have closed accounts over the years when they were no longer viable for me but never to reapply for again a few months later. I still have an active credit card account, my first ever, that I opened in 1982. ☺

Enjoy your new account and the second companion certificate.

Cheers
coffeeortea likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:27 pm

Friend is a new MVP and hoping to do a SDC; is $25 fee waived for MVPs or just G/75k?

SDC page isn't clear - https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...t-changes.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.