Wiki Posts
Search

AS adds SFO-SNA/MSP/MCO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by metaldirtnskin
On top of that, they are operating Q400s while UA has been using mainline equipment on that route for several months now. If AS were to follow suit, or at least move to the E175, it would be in line with their now more California-centric strategy.
VX doesn't serve any number of much larger cities (PHX, ATL, IAH, STL, and so on). I doubt AS is going to add SFO/LAX-EUG mainline service before fleshing out SFO as a hub.

SFO-EUG is right near the 400 mile sweet spot for Q400s. I'd think they'd want PDX-Bay Area and SEA-Greater LA on E75s first. It does make sense that AS can be a lot more creative with adding service out of SFO/LAX now, though (a better mix of Q400/E75/73G/A319/734/A320/738/739/A321).
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by char777
Just a little off topic, but I love the "BART Platinum." If only BART had a mileage program....
It's not a joke! :-)

https://bartperks.com

Unfortunately I'm falling down to Gold or Silver during the holidays.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by milypan
It's not a joke! :-)

https://bartperks.com

Unfortunately I'm falling down to Gold or Silver during the holidays.
Ah who knew!! I would have definitely racked up some GS-level status had that existed when I lived there.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by metaldirtnskin
I certainly hope that soon they'll add more flights from EUG to SFO to feed those connections. Traveling for business, at some point it gets harder to justify the hairpin north to SEA before heading south.

On top of that, they are operating Q400s while UA has been using mainline equipment on that route for several months now. If AS were to follow suit, or at least move to the E175, it would be in line with their now more California-centric strategy.
A little confused here- you mean Q400's on the EUG-SJC route, right? Because AS doesn't fly EUG-SFO direct at present.

Frankly for flights up to that length, I think mainline aircraft is overrated. UA's passenger seat capacity EUG-SFO increased almost entirely due to middle seats and UA decreased daily frequency at the same time including a very convenient late night SFO departure. I'd gladly take a E175 (which UX/OO were starting to use on the route instead of CRJ200/700), or even a Q400 over a A319 middle.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Frankly for flights up to that length, I think mainline aircraft is overrated
This, and for most Bay Area folks, proximity to a given airport and the convenience thereof trumps airframe choice on a nonstop route. Noone in their right mind in the South Bay is going to drive to SFO just to get on a mainline jet when AS is offering a nonstop Q400 option at SJC.

Note, I recognize FT'ers are usually not classified as "in their right mind".
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
This, and for most Bay Area folks, proximity to a given airport and the convenience thereof trumps airframe choice on a nonstop route. Noone in their right mind in the South Bay is going to drive to SFO just to get on a mainline jet when AS is offering a nonstop Q400 option at SJC.

I think AS might well start up EUG-SFO (and some select other routes) to complement SJC; an RJ/Q400 operation at SFO to extend the reach of the existing VX hub makes a fair amount of sense (though SFO's ground stops compared to SJC... huh).

But mainline EUG-SFO... probably not.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A little confused here- you mean Q400's on the EUG-SJC route, right? Because AS doesn't fly EUG-SFO direct at present.

Frankly for flights up to that length, I think mainline aircraft is overrated. UA's passenger seat capacity EUG-SFO increased almost entirely due to middle seats and UA decreased daily frequency at the same time including a very convenient late night SFO departure. I'd gladly take a E175 (which UX/OO were starting to use on the route instead of CRJ200/700), or even a Q400 over a A319 middle.
The main reason I don't want a Q400 on any hop (and no, not because I won't miss out on the elusive upgrade and three course meal) is that I have to travel with two bags. For overnight trips, I don't need my laptop bag - it all goes in the roller. But not with a Q400 - I need the laptop (or similar) bag that can go in the cabin.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

Not to mention all the "flow control" delays at SFO are going to be taking a significant bite out of Alaska's on-time %.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat, and a bunch of other stuff I guess

You're right, EUG-SJC is what I was thinking of. If I remember right, that one was even operated with an E175 for one brief shining moment.

I'm thinking more of passenger experience (or the perception of it) - and putting myself in the shoes of the VX customer base. If I'm in EUG and I want to get to the Bay Area, AS/QX offers a small, propeller-y airplane, there's no jetway, no wheeled carry-ons in the cabin, no food service, no chance of first class, and the seats don't recline.

And you're also right that an E175 would solve all that as well as a 737 or better on that route. I'm the sort of person who would fly it on a DC-3 if they would let me, so my opinion in that sense doesn't count.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Not to mention all the "flow control" delays at SFO are going to be taking a significant bite out of Alaska's on-time %.
Ugh. Today SFO has 3 hour delays due to the rain. It's definitely one of the worst in the country when it comes to wx-impacting ops.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
But not with a Q400 - I need the laptop (or similar) bag that can go in the cabin.
Maybe you should get a laptop case than can be consolidated into your roller bag for these instances. Need to get on a Q? pull your computer and throw your bag on the a la cart.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by QXflyer
Maybe you should get a laptop case than can be consolidated into your roller bag for these instances. Need to get on a Q? pull your computer and throw your bag on the a la cart.
That's pretty much what I do with my camera or laptop. Every trip starts and ends with a Q400 for me if I fly AS.

Seems like a pretty weak argument for AS to upgauge that route
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I think AS might well start up EUG-SFO (and some select other routes) to complement SJC; an RJ/Q400 operation at SFO to extend the reach of the existing VX hub makes a fair amount of sense (though SFO's ground stops compared to SJC... huh).

But mainline EUG-SFO... probably not.
I don't know if they would be profitable on SFO-EUG going against UA. SJC-EUG makes sense because they have no non-stop competition. SFO-EUG is another matter.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I don't know if they would be profitable on SFO-EUG going against UA. SJC-EUG makes sense because they have no non-stop competition. SFO-EUG is another matter.
It will be interesting to see just how AS will make the LA and Bay Area operations coexist. PMAS has the right equipment and marketshare at EUG to make EUG-SJC O&D happen, but it speaks volumes that AS doesn't really consider SJC that much of a hub as long as a route like EUG-SJC is only once daily, yet EUG-PDX/SEA are all 4-6x each. If AS will continue to treat SFO as much of a hub as PMVX does, then it might make sense to link some of those smaller outstations to SFO. SFO is a more natural hub geographically for many city pairs than PDX and SEA are.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: UA1K
anyone know the times for SFO-SNA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.