AS adds SFO-SNA/MSP/MCO

Reply

Old Dec 14, 16, 2:36 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 314
AS adds SFO-SNA/MSP/MCO

4x daily SNA
2x daily MSP
1x daily MCO

These will be great new adds to the San Francisco hub.


https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2016-...sets_117:19178
lax.sea.jnu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 2:43 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,817
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu View Post
AS adds...
Is it stated that these will be AS (-operated) flights?
dayone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 2:47 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,340
Excellent news!
Eastbay1K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 2:49 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MSP
Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Posts: 213
Summer 2017

As an MSP flyer this is a great indicator. Having SFO as a direct option instead of flying through SEA/PDX is awesome. Can't wait to see if JFK will also get a route into MSP.
mrapollinax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 4:02 pm
  #5  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,036
Directly competes with DL and UA. I hope the prices are comperable. In an ideal world the competition lowers prices on those routes.
SFOPhD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 4:13 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 314
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Is it stated that these will be AS (-operated) flights?
I suppose it would depend on which airline had the available aircraft but if the routes start as VX, they will be converted to AS metal a few months later.
lax.sea.jnu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 6:01 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 2,194
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu View Post
4x daily SNA
2x daily MSP
1x daily MCO

These will be great new adds to the San Francisco hub.


https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2016-...sets_117:19178
I believe Virgin America already flies to Orlando.
WebTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 6:26 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by WebTraveler View Post
I believe Virgin America already flies to Orlando.
They did at one time but dropped the route. Very exciting for AS's new SFO hub! I'm sure this is just the beginning. I read that UA and DL both are asking a steep price for MSP and MCO...AS will be making more fans in the Bay Area with these adds.
HiFlyerAS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 7:38 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SFO
Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 899
Houston please. From any Bay Area airport will do.
milypan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 8:12 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 7,327
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS View Post
They did at one time but dropped the route. Very exciting for AS's new SFO hub! I'm sure this is just the beginning. I read that UA and DL both are asking a steep price for MSP and MCO...AS will be making more fans in the Bay Area with these adds.
Hopefully the fare rules on AS will treat SFO as a real hub (like SEA) when it comes to fare construction instead of pricing connecting flights as separate fares which is what they typically do with flights connecting in SAN.
PDXPremier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 10:54 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: Uh...all of them...um...any of them...
Posts: 871
Originally Posted by milypan View Post
Houston please. From any Bay Area airport will do.
Just a little off topic, but I love the "BART Platinum." If only BART had a mileage program....
char777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 16, 12:21 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG/PDX
Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 3,935
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
Hopefully the fare rules on AS will treat SFO as a real hub (like SEA) when it comes to fare construction instead of pricing connecting flights as separate fares which is what they typically do with flights connecting in SAN.
and the SEA-PDX double connect becomes the SEA-SFO-PDX triple connect...

Speaking of fare construction, I've noticed the pricing from EUG via SEA/PDX vs originating in PDX on many flights now appears to be separate fares. Was nice to have fares near to PDX prices without driving or overnighting.
rustykettel is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 16, 2:12 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat, and a bunch of other stuff I guess
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
and the SEA-PDX double connect becomes the SEA-SFO-PDX triple connect...

Speaking of fare construction, I've noticed the pricing from EUG via SEA/PDX vs originating in PDX on many flights now appears to be separate fares. Was nice to have fares near to PDX prices without driving or overnighting.
I certainly hope that soon they'll add more flights from EUG to SFO to feed those connections. Traveling for business, at some point it gets harder to justify the hairpin north to SEA before heading south.

On top of that, they are operating Q400s while UA has been using mainline equipment on that route for several months now. If AS were to follow suit, or at least move to the E175, it would be in line with their now more California-centric strategy.
metaldirtnskin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 16, 9:33 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SNA
Programs: AS MVPG, UA Platinum
Posts: 3,952
this is huge for me...SNA-SFO to connect to VX could eliminate my UA flying.
haddon90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 16, 11:17 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Coast, Best Coast
Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Posts: 15,185
KCRA reports that SMF-SJD also being added. Once weekly.
PV_Premier is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread